Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I've been trying to determine if this kit to remove the vent windows would be enough to install in the glass doors . Than I was going to attatch a seatbelt to the bottom of the glass to raise and lower than have a button on the door to snap the seatbelt onto.
    https://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=16640

2. I think that kit would work perfect for making them roll up and down. Doesn't look to hard to make if u wanted to go that route also. I plan on just ordering the window fuzy stuff and building tracks out of aluminum c chanel for mine. my car has to be as light as humanly possible lol

30dodgeboy and beebee78 like this.
  3. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

You guys are getting my wheels turning turning. I was thinking about doing two lane black top style windows and milling the slots in extruded aluminum to fit the hole window.The only tricky part is the radius corners then make the whole assembly bolt together once the windows are in. You could even put a bar in the one channel to "lock the window" since these are also street cars. I might consider the fiberglass doors when I paint the car, but for this year I'll leave the steel ones on there. It hard to justify since I built the car on the heavy side and it will be hard to put it on a diet now. It started as a street car that would see the track. Now it's a track car that will see the street.my cage is Dom not chromoly. I think I'll just go with it as is. I would like to build an early nova one day. All chromoly and aluminum, all fiberglass except the main body. Altered wheel base and injected big block. At least that what I keep telling myself but that would be at least 15 years away. So it makes me want to make my 56 as light as possible going forward.

strokedstang331 likes this.
  4. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

5. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

My brother sent me that link just before you did and it's now official the Willys pickup is a wheelstander lmao it may only be the left front and a couple inches but still that's a huge accomplishment in my book that is some good coverage of the event

saltflats likes this.
  6. Saxxon

Saxxon

Saw that picture. There was clearly daylight under that left front. Made it look like it was jacked up - angry - and checking out in a determined manner...

7. Saxxon

Saxxon

Anyone into Uni-bodies ??

I'm looking at this one this weekend. I'm hoping it's in as good a shape as it appears. In my research I'm finding there are 3 box lengths between the Ford and Mercury models. This appears to be the mid length. I like the dimensions and balance better than the seriously cut off short box models. This is the Custom Cab so it has a neat trim package

Thinking a slightly squatted stance in the rear and a mild nose up attitude. Steel wheels and narrow slicks out back with pizza cutter Torq Thrusts in the front. Sort of the B/FX match race vibe. My garage currently has a 439 BBC in it so the same pump gas / street-able 560 hp Chevy I had planned for the Willys Wagon (now sold) might be the motivation. (Sorry Ford fans - it's what I have). Anyone have a Jerico, Hightower or Nash trans they will unload for cheap ? (Very cheap - free would be good) Sure would be neat to drive the Uni-Beast to Sam's in 2017. Maybe even drive it down to the event

11148791_10152645634222465_4173292316125739928_n.jpg

Ford-gasser-F100-unibody-for-sale-custom-25627-5431.JPG

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That would look good front wheels up and the doors flying open.

9. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks saxxon then I have succeeded in my quest better yet I ran it at the hot rod reunion at Mokan dragway last weekend and someone got a shot of my second gear shift which brought the same results only more air Lol someday maybe I can stand it up like you big boys do lol

I know all about that scenario it happened last Sunday time for some better door latches on the Willys lol

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  10. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

That big Block Chevy would make it Ford Tough with Chevy Stuff :rolleyes: LOL

saltflats and enloe like this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am working on a Ford engine that would fill that baby up.

12. Saxxon

Saxxon

Nothing against Ford. I would love to keep it all true blue but I'm working with what I have and I can assemble a snarling pump gas friendly Chevy on a budget. I already have a trans and my brother runs a diff shop and - he's got this ultimate set of tools. (J. Spicoli). The whole reason for selling the Willys project was the amount of time and money it would cost to just get it track worthy, never mind street legal. This project should - in theory - use the stock front suspension (with a brake upgrade) and an easy diff swap to establish the basic platform. Other parts are still readily available. I see a realistic budget of under 10k + the engine - to be rolling with extreme prejudice. The plan is to have it in lane 5 or 6 at meltdown with the other FX and Super Stock class machines.

Hey... does it offend anyone in the US of A to call this thing the Uni-Bomber. (too soon after Una-Bomber headlines) ??

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Tickety Boo, Swamp Rat 4 and enloe like this.
  13. Saxxon

Saxxon

False alarm folks ... truck didn't pan out. Came back with an empty trailer.
    Met a seriously cool guy and got go 4x4 / off roading with a trailer attached. This guy has some net stuff... 58 Pontiac wagon with a 348 ($2500) a 54 Willys Crown deluxe ($800) a 66 Marlin just to name a few. I'll stop here before I get booted to the Sales forum.

14. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Today my car moved under it's own power for the 1st time in many years but still needs a ton of work before it gets driven to Byron. Hope we make it. 014.JPG 020.JPG

loudbang, rusty1, Chucky and 5 others like this.
  15. 62Furious

62Furious

Less than 9 months to go and moving fast

saltflats likes this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So I guess you are ready?

17. Sounds like your guys door issues were just like mine, a flimsy mess. I still need to redo my window frame attachments and might try and include hinge bracing into it.

loudbang likes this.
  18. powrshftr

powrshftr

Jeff,seriously.....If you're not even going to take care of the Okie Doker,why don't you just sell it to someone who will at least treat it right.
    I mean,driving it in the winter...????
    Of course that's not going to end well.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448308109.900303.jpg

I'm so disappointed in you.

Scott

30dodgeboy and loudbang like this.
  19. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin