Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration How do you display your magazine collection?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Aug 10, 2015.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Every time I go through my collection, I find stuff I forgot I had. Makes me a little happy and sad at the same time...

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  2. Care to share your source?

3. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Not to long ago I donated a lot of mine to the local VA hospital for the guys there that got hurt overseas. They will get a lot more out of them laid up than I will having them packed away in boxes.

4. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I still read mine. Read the old CK Deluxes so much, the staples came out.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  5. I stack them up in a compartmental grain bin and after one year I take them over to the VA hospital for the veterans to read.
    Then I start the whole drill over again each day after Thanksgiving.
    I got a lot of magazines.

Bowtie Coupe and hotrod54chevy like this.
  6. In case anyone is interested, this is Kiwi Kev's library. He has the coolest stuff.

hotrod54chevy likes this.
  7. Thanks HRP. I already have a number of bankers boxes though. Don't like them that much. I was looking for something more like the slip cases that Rodders Journal offers for their magazines.

8. I used to save all my street scene mags starting from the early '70's. At some point I realized I wasn't going to look at them any more so tried to sell them. Nobody else wanted them either. I arranged them nicely in boxes and hauled them to the dump. Haven't missed them yet.

9. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I display mine at the Barber shop , Dentist or Doctors office waiting rooms . rather clutter their space , not mine

10. Cheap book shelves.-MIKE:cool:
    BASEMENT 1.JPG

BASEMENT 2.JPG

11. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I buy and sell a lot of old magazines at the swap meets. I like the sterlite totes I believe they are 22 liter. I put them in magazine bags with backing boards and they stand upright in the tote perfectly.
    if you put the lid on the tote they "nest" perfectly if you stack them.

I sell predominately 50s thru70s magazines

13. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Maverick Daddy, I NEED one of those...! Where'd you get it?

14. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

My Friend Brian gave it to me when he Moved to El Paso. Half of tha magazines came with it!

15. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

16. Muttley

Muttley

That Mickey Thompson Performance Handbook will fetch $50 all day long.

17. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

I think I'll keep it for a while.......

18. Alright. Here's what I came up with for mine...

I have a bunch of boxes of old car magazines. Mainly Hot Rod, Hop Up, Car Craft and Motor Trend. Plus a couple of boxes of Little Pages. I love reading and referencing these old magazines, but as many of you know, storage and access can be a problem.

I wanted to hang the magazines so they were easy to get and easy to sort through. I planned on using clear slip covers.
    I found a free shelving unit on Kijiji. Then I got some 5/16" rod, eyelets, washers and bolts from the hardware store.
    I cut each rod relative to the length of the shelf, and tapped each end for 1/4"-20 thread. I put a nut on either side of the eyelet, so the rod wouldn't slide around.
    image.jpg

Then I put 36 slip covers on a rod. You'll have two rods per shelf, to hold the front and back hole of the slip covers.

Next, I drilled each shelf to accept the eyelet studs. 3/8" that I then countersunk to accept the bolt and washer. (I wanted to be able to use the shelf tops still for other stuff.)
    image.jpg

I then hung the shelf back up, slipped the eyelet studs into the holes, and bolted them from the top.

Then I started adding magazines. I chose 36 slip covers so that I could hold 3 years worth on each shelf. I slipped the magazines into each sleeve working from left to right, with January on the left, and leaving empty sleeves for missing months. Now, when I fill in gaps in my collection, I can easily add them in place without having to fiddle with adding more sleeves.
    image.jpg

Starting at the top left and working down the left shelf is 48-59 Hot Rod. Starting at the top right and working down the right shelf is 60-65 Hot Rod.
    I have some of my Rodders Journal sitting in the center and will add the rest as I unpack them. I also plan to put some of my model cars and interesting display stuff on these middle shelves.

I found bins that will hold the Little Pages standing vertically, and I will sort and store those in the cupboard below along with the Motor Trend.

Total cost was roughly $105 for hardware and slip covers. The shelf was free.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  19. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Sold 30 years worth of car mags ,"hundreds" most weren't HAMB worthy , at Ozark empire swap meet couple weeks ago. Seen they were going to a good home & swapped for a 10 dollar bill. I just can't throw them away. But I've seen the light & its hamb era for me from here on out. Now I've got shelf space for real car books! Gotta purge once in a while to gain control of shop space. I love some of those magazine "stands" some of you guys been posting pics of. Flux

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  20. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I've started a spreadsheet recently to keep on my phone to pull out at swapmeets and avoid duplicates. I've almost got every issue of Car Craft from '54 to '63! Surprisingly, not that many Rod & Customs, though! D:

21. alchemy

alchemy

Whoever has extra shelf space and needs old magazines to fill them, PM me your "want" lists. I might have what you need.

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I buy and sell a ton of old magazines

23. This looks like the rows of racks in the local news stand that has been here since the 1930's. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made the mistake of not sealing my collection in barrels or other air tight containers a few years ago and am afraid that most of the ones I want to save are destroyed now. When I stashed them in the shed during a move I had access to all of the 55 gallon food grade drums with lid and rings that I wanted to haul home and didn't think of it at the time. The plan for 50+ years was to have a library in the shop that I haven't yet built.

25. Would not work at my house. Kiwi Kev is not married to my wife......... Just sayin...

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Kiwi Kev's bookcase (store magazine rack) is identical to the one I gave Gary Mylar ('50s Nite at John's Drive In, San Jose) when I moved my shop.
    His widow may still have it, she set up a 'shrine' for 'Mister '50s", as he liked to be called.

27. Davyj

Davyj

Mine are stored in totes, on a shelf that runs all the way around t 237.jpg 236.jpg he garage , about 7' up

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I started my subscription to HotRod back in 1977, saved every issue in a book case. Did the same with Street Rodder from about 1980, R&C whenever it came back out the last time, along with a years worth of Hemmings Motor News and some other mags. Then life happened, raised two boys who liked to look at my magazines and not put them back where I had them or take care of them, so many got damaged or lost. Quit taking any magazines about 1995, my collection is sitting in the bookcase, what there is left of it. Thought about selling some of them, but they're really not worth fooling with since not many of them are in perfect shape anymore. Will probably trash them one of these days, who gives a toot about 80's and 90's stuff anyway? I never look at them anymore, if I want to know something, I can Google it or look around here.....

29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have over 20 shelving units with 5 shelves each. I use the upright banker boxes that hold a year or two per title worth of magazines. Each shelf holds about 5 or 6 banker boxes. I have a checklist for each title and issue for the ones I have. All the banker boxes are labeled and a single issue can easily found in less than 5 minutes.