Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration How do you display your magazine collection?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Aug 10, 2015.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Sounds stupid, yes, but I'd like some ideas. I've amassed quite a collection of both little pages and full size mags over the years, and I want something nicer to show them off in. Right now, my favorite ones are just in a couple (over stuffed) vintage magazine racks. The newer ones I have and some duplicates are in plastic totes. Since I'm not looking to downsize any time soon, do you guys have any tips on what to keep them in to make it seem a little more organized? I'm already starting to catalog them so I can quit buying duplicates and add some much needed ones to my wish list! Thanks for any tips or pictures you can pass on! Picture isn't mine, but still nice!

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

I have about two dozen Banker's boxes full of my collection, and probably another dozen of all my extras. Nothing is really on "display". I looked at my needs list the other day and found I only need about three dozen magazines to complete my collection. From the first issue of Hot Rod, RnC, Street Rodder, Rod Action, TRJ, Hop Up, Car Craft, and other smaller titles all the way to the 80's. Some even to present.

hotrod54chevy likes this.
  3. An old bookcase is a good start. 020.JPG

55 Ford Gasser and hotrod54chevy like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have about 20 boxes full of old car magazines from 1957 and up stacked in the shop.
    I also have all of the old .25 cent Karting magazines from the early 1960's through the 1990's
    I am not interested is selling them before anyone asks that question.

The memories mean more to me then the money!!!
    Jimbo

6. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Blowby, that's probably exactly what I need, except not in the shitter! :D Where'd you get that shelf, if you don't mind me asking?

7. verde742

verde742

I am interested in selling mine, every darn one : $1500.00 and I have a wooden pallet load, probably more.

AND 23 years of THE V-8 Times, official book of the Ford V-8 Club.. for$400.00 more.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  8. Mine are all stored in boxes in the closet...Why do I need to display them??? I dont run a news stand

LTM75110 and hotrod54chevy like this.
  9. Milk crates full of old car and bike magazines stacked to the ceiling. HRP

10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Bankers boxes stacked to the rafters in my basement.

11. Jody Cagle

Jody Cagle

I have found my magazine racks for sale at comic book shops , call around some comic shops see if they have any for sale .

12. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I really like blowby's layout but I have no shelves; so I just leave them laying all over the bathroom floor. I like the ease of upkeep but my wife doesn't have the same enthusiasm about that.

13. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

If you read them, having them out where you can see them makes it easier! Hard to read shit that's filed away in a shoebox.

40fordtudor and Speedy Canuck like this.
  14. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

My wife thought the same of my old Hustler collection... I really did read it for the articles!

40fordtudor likes this.
  15. Pretty hard to reference them or find a particular issue when they're all stacked in boxes in the basement. I don't think 'display' is the right word... at least it isn't for me. But more so, "How do you organize your magazine collection so you can access and read them?"

16. I've read them so many times,they're memorized...

LOU WELLS likes this.
  17. well I got a big pile of them here next to my recliner, Another pile under the coffee table and a couple boxes of em in the basement. :)

18. I don't care who you are there's a library !!

19. 327Eric

327Eric

in boxes at a swap meet, sometimes in pictures online.

20. czuch az

czuch az

At the VA waiting room/Chiropractors office

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  21. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Under the bed...

22. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Wrong collection.......

23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I am buying additions to my collection every month. I just picked up a collection of Hot Rods magazines with every issue from January 1948 through December of 2014. A recent widow said if I didn't take them they going to the garbage man.Drove 4 hours each way to get them. I will read a few early ones then stack them away.

24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Not mine. Mine are stacked on the toilet tank like everyone else's.

40fordtudor and hotrod54chevy like this.
  25. I have a pretty good plan for making mine accessible without taking up a ton of space. I'll post pictures when I get finished, hopefully this weekend.

26. Mine " collection" is in tubs based on title....and I have a lot of tubs....I have damn near every " little book" every issue of Luke Karosi's Kustoms Illustrated, Zombies Traditional Rod and Kulture, Garage Magazine, Gearhead, a fairly large collection of Rodders Journal, and around 40 car books....one day I hope to have somewhere to better display them

27. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I bought old magazine racks from stores that went out of business. I have hundreds but I consider them my library rather than a collection.

28. I have a lot of them on book shelves,Rodder's Journal,Hop up,Hot Rod Mechanix,Rod & Custom,Easyrider's and a large selection of hard bound hot rod book.

The shelves are full and so is the closet. HRP

29. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I have a complete set of TRJ's and all my hardcover auto and Rod related books on book shelves. I found an online source that sells magazine storage boxes in the correct size to stand the mags up. Each box can hold 5-8 years worth of issues depending on content.
    They're worth every penny I paid for them.

30. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really hate to admit it...but in about 10 of these.
    shopping.jpg