Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1951 UPS Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3onthetree3, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

I wonder if UPS gives this guy a hard time....[​IMG]

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all you guys are nuts. I would not worry about the logos. if some numbnut from UPS tried to give me shit I would repaint the logos but put POOPS instead of UPS.

Torkwrench and Model T1 like this.
  3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's a damn nice truck.

I see no reason not to drop it a little and do some brake mods, but I wold never bag it, make it tottaly low rider either!
    That's a van, and vans love to be taking for a ride in the sun, with loads of junk in the trunk.

There was another thread on here about UPS vans. They used to sell them at an auction. But at some point they stopped.

If it was mine I would pressure wash it, give it a quick scoff over, spray tractor enamel on the outside, brush paint it a light gray epoxy on the inside and enjoy it for what it really is, a beautiful truck!

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

5. I would paint it Brown and drive around putting empty boxes on peoples front steps just for fun.:D

scotts52, i.rant, 49ratfink and 3 others like this.
  6. I think redoing the logos so they are similar but slightly different, or painting it a slightly different color, would be a lot like poking a sleeping lion just to see if you could wake him up. Make photo copies of all your documentation and take pictures of the truck in its current condition so you can back up your story, paint the truck a totally different color and hopefully UPS won't notice or care! Who wants a turd brown truck anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  7. Model T1

Model T1

Because company forefathers admired the elegant, professional brown sleeper cars made by Pullman.
    So UPS copied another companies color and now claims it as theirs?o_O
    If it were mine I'd paint it slightly lighter or a darker Pullman brown and make similar logos yet different.
    At one time I had a weird idea to paint my 1948 Chevy 1/2 ton panel truck yeller and use logos and markings similar to the service vehicles of the company I worked since I was a trucker for them. I figured it woud be a similar problem so dropped the idea.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't say that I see any way UPS could trademark a color. Remember when Harley tried to trademark the exhaust "sound"? Ain't happening. If you really wanted that color (don't know why, it's ugly) all you have to do is go to any good paint store and they can mix it.

Model T1 likes this.
  9. Model T1

Model T1

I agree. Can a color actually be trademarked or patented? Just think if it was we'd all be driving white or grey cars now.
    Oh wait most people are !

10. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Here's another ex-UPS truck, although it's hard to tell from the outside:
    [​IMG]

Not a great photo, but the only one I ever shot of it. My former boss bought an old motel in Joshua Tree and this came with it; one time I was cleaning trash up and looked inside to find UPS specification tags riveted inside the rear doors. I checked the serial (P50D4H49599) and found it was a '54 Ford P-500 with a 223 six. Glass is all broken out but it looks savable.
    My ex-boss lost the property to the bank a couple years ago and as far as I know it's still sitting there. (PM me if you'd like the exact address...;))

Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.
  11. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Pulled the master cylinder and the fuel tank today. Master frozen, and fuel tank a little rust. Threw some turpentine in her and a price of chain. One session done. Another tomorrow and see what she looks like. Rebuild on the master and check all the wheel cylinders. The brakes look great. I have never had an F3, but all the bolts on this thing are fine thread with castle nuts. For the gas tank ton the bolts that were holding the master on.

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Letter it with Used Parts Service underneath the logo and go to swap meets

13. Rathbone

Rathbone

I think you could rent it out for movies. Where else can they get one?

3onthetree3 and gas pumper like this.
  14. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi T tree

You don't want those UPS guys to know that you are alive, so don't wake up a sleeping Giant

Trick up your van maybe make the rear into a small motorhome, put in a bigger motor slam it a little with a nice low key paint job for going to the rod shows

If you tick them off by painting brown etc they could make you have more than a few bad days, and if they take you to court you are in for real trouble

Its going to cost a few grand for lawyer just to have the first hearing, and if you ain't got the biggest dog in that room you loose and most likely have a lot more than one dog to show you

Plus all the mental stress you have to endure and you don't get that money back, I know been there done that

Just FLY below the radar screen, Don

Model T1 likes this.
  15. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Letter it spu "shit picked up"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Why not change the logo from UPS to 'SUP or something and keep the truck brown? Or get a magnetic logo made for shows that you can take off. People have been making parody logos on skateboard shirts to sell forever and they don't seem to get sued. You're just a guy with a truck.

That thing is stupid cool.

17. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

After the experiences that me & a few pals have had with UPS, I'd change the name to:
    The Brown Destroyers!

metlmunchr likes this.
  18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it's paid for and registered in your name nobody can take it away from you. UPS might try to BUY it from you, but they can't take it unless they can prove it's stolen.

As far as the color goes there is a strong possibility it is listed in paint company catalogs, with formula. There are hundreds of truck fleet colors. I never heard of anyone patenting or copyrighting a color, and I don't believe it is possible.

They can stop you from using their name and logo if they are trademarked or copyrighted.

Might be interesting to fix it up, paint it brown and see what happens. They might offer you a lot of money for it.

Model T1 likes this.
  19. I would definitely do this. Change the logo to read "PUS". The chicks will dig it!! :)

lewk likes this.
  20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Obviously no one here has see the trick UPS vans at the SEMA show. I would contact an attorney and get a written opinion as to the ownership. Once that's verified, I would pay an artist to do a couple of renderings; of the finished van with and without the UPS logos. At that point, I would approach UPS with a proposal to rent the van for promotional use. Never can tell, with the proper presentation, you might get UPS to pay for the project!

Clik, Model T1 and kiwijeff like this.
  21. aaggie

aaggie

That would make a really cool camper or a vendor truck to take to swap meets.
    I had a friend that worked for UPS in Chicago and he said when a driver finished his shift he turned in a condition report and if there was problem the truck went to the shop and they would swap out a complete driveline if necessary and it would be washed and ready for the street within 24 hours. The shop would rebuild the components and they would go back on the shelf for the next time. It was cost effective to keep the same make and model on the road for years.

22. Yo gonna need some serious help.
    tumblr_n1xyxwgXYE1qzpxx1o1_r1_1280.jpg

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Not worth the price of admission if you don't find out what your limitations are per UPS..You've already done a ton of work and don't know where you stand..But since you seem to have it registered then maybe the court in in your pocket..

24. Chop the top, 24"!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

My dad told me this also, that's the reason his truck had a '60s engine and Delco charging system. UPS would piece together trucks to keep them running. The '51 my dad bought was in service right up to the time he bought in the mid '70s. They would use whatever parts they could get at the best price.

This is from the other thread. So there might be a chance that he bought it, brought it home and never moved it.

I find it hard to belive that a guy takes a auction piece with him home, transfers title and UPS wouldn't know.
    I say get building, stay away from UPS logos and thinks like that.
    A day with out the need to see a doctor or a lawyer, is a good day!

No disrespect to doctor's and Lawyers on the HAMB

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. I think when this one first hit the show circuit it was stated in the magazines that it was owned by UPS. At least it was pictured at the UPS booth at the Street Rod Nationals.
    I also think you would get in less trouble if you went to UPS and stole one off there lot and drove it to a show!

27. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I remember back in the 70's there was a pull behind trailer at the street rod nationals that had a UPS style logo. Instead of united parcel service, it said "underwear pop & stuff".

28. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Like I said in my other post # 44 you don't want those UPS guy's to know you are alive, just FLY well below their radar screen

By making it into a motorhome of sorts you have showed them that you have no intentions of using it for any kind of delivery truck, and don't paint it brown as then it will be a UPS magnet with all their big dogs in tow

29. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

If I could find an old step van like that . I would take my beloved 1994 f350 that still runs and drives like new but Wisconsin winter has taken their toll on and graft that body on my chassis at a reasonable ride height. Do the body up right , paint it black with a lot of my signature flames and do the interior in 50s/60s camper style in birch wood and white tuck and roll and emblaze my shop logo on the side and the heck with ups. Make it your own and something you would be proud of!!!! Larry

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  30. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The later 223 came with side mounts for the 'car' version. The trucks used the front mounts.
    And the 300 is a newer motor, smaller, lighter, better. but I don't think it will go in place of the 223.
    Now there is a 262 Big Truck motor that is the same, but very hard to find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.