Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Engine turning opinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIG-JIM, Aug 8, 2015.

?
  1. I think 1 looks better

17 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. I think 3 looks better

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. I hate them both

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Who cares

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  1. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I did one in a left to right pattern and one in a zig-zag which one looks better to you guys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

What did #2 look like?

Hard tell any difference from the pic. They both look good. There, that was pretty noncommittal.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Not pretty. It was all galled up.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. I like 1 the best but for some reason in the picture you posted of number 2 galled up or not looks the most uniform

Hnstray likes this.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

They both look good, nice stagger on the lines, you must have a nice setup. Back when I worked at a Bugatti restoration shop I got to do a lot of firewalls and dash panels. We would start with a buffed sheet of aluminum, had an alignment jig, and used a very course custom blended valve grinding compound with a pad in a hand drill. Great memories, Bob

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I have a mini milling machine so it's easy to get them straight. But there are may ways to do it. Like 50% staggered, Left to right, Zig-Zag, overlapping. Just trying to get the best look is all.

7. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I like #1 that's how I do mine

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

OK, now I see the differance, I like #1 with the 50-50 stagger, like looking at a black & white tile floor, you see the even spacing. Number 3 has the swirls in a random pattern. Bob

9. Slopok

Slopok

No one would know the difference but you until you pointed it out and even then hard to discern. Great that you can do that yourself.

10. They are different?

11. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Well I ended up going with 3. Not bad for a first attempt if I do say so myself.
    [​IMG]

12. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Yup they are.

13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I like the one you used, I did my own on a drill press. Took close to 4hrs of standing but I love it. 2003-02-28 21.23.07.jpg

joe buck likes this.
  14. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

My self I was thinking of #1 , but this look's nice, is the pattern 50/50 over lap ?? And did you use scotch bright or sand paper roll ,
    what grit ?

15. fordor41

fordor41

I've used grinding bits, I believe from McMaster-Carr that are a rubber material imbeded with an abrasive. You can turn them down for different sizes

16. joe buck

joe buck

Gorgeous, yes please give us the down low on the technique, method and tools. I have read about many different ways to do it, but seeing these results and knowing just how you accomplished it would be great. I believe you about it being hours of hard work. You did a fine job sir.

17. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

To be honest I don't know. I have a grizzly mini milling machine and I just timed it 4 cranks turn 4 cranks turn and then for the next row I offset is by 2 turns then did 4 cranks again. Each row is also 4 cranks apart. I found a hard rubber rod that was just under 3/4" in my junk pile and I used 80 grit lapping compound. I coat the whole piece then just have at it. I take the compound off with WD-40 very gently as not to scratch it. I polished the part first (to almost a mirror). Polishing made a big difference in the way it came out. I also set the stops on the table so I started in the same place each time. Even though the part is tapered I treated it like it was square and just ran through the sequence till I came to the part and then started turning. This way they would all line up as if it were a solid piece and I cut it out after it was turned. You just have to be careful on the edges and try to use equal time and pressure. I hope this helps.

stealthcruiser likes this.
  18. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

NICE!

19. I'd say you nailed it.
    Looked into it when I joined up here in 09, and got the name of a stick that was popular, can't recall it now, but when I asked around where to get the stick, no one knew what I was talking about.

20. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Jeff they are called Cratex sticks. Basically abrasive impregnated rubber. They come in all shapes and sizes. For me they were too expensive. Oh and thanks for the "Nailed it" feedback. This will probably be the only perfect part on the whole car...LOL

21. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Dash I did in a 97 Chevy pickup.

Attached Files:

22. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I like the way you left the center points exposed. It creates some different geometric patterns depending on how the light hits it.

23. I might not be able to tell much difference in the patterns, but the one you chose and completed looks excellent to me. I think engine turned stuff looks so classy.

24. Looks fantastic!

25. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks everyone. It was a lot easier than I expected. Just very time consuming is all but well worth is in the end.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just stole this off the Lets Talk Cycle Cars thread here on the HAMB, when you get real good you can do the whole body. Bob

[​IMG]

cretin likes this.
  27. I wanted to replicate the engine turn look of the original dash insert on our wagon when I added real world gauges,I love the look. HRP

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and i.rant like this.
  28. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Is that engine turned or is it dimpled?

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

30. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

That's just insane. It would take a year to do all the panels. And then if it ever got wrecked you'd have to do that panel to match? Wow they had a lot of time on their hands back then. :)