Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does Preformance Really matter anymore

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yep, NHRA just announced that starting next year, the Pro Stockers will be switching to EFI. They've already required them to park their cars in the pits with the engines visible (no more 'secret' induction systems I guess), and will be removing their hood scoops and shorter wheelie bars next year too.

loudbang likes this.
  2. prpmmp

prpmmp

I drive a Flathead,so as much as I say performance matters a lot would disagree with me:)! But I must say I did pass a Horse and buggy on 896 today!!Pete

3. Oh wouldn't that be a bitch, loose a crank sensor or Tps or map on the last lap.
    Putter putter putter - Mil come on and enter limp home mode.

porknbeaner likes this.
  4. Pete the Amish Assassin. shaaaaaammmmm on you. :D

I probably shouldn't say this but maybe we have missed the point a little bit performance comes in a lot of different boxes, some choose the big box with all the little doodads, some a kracker jack box because of the free prize and other the smaller box you get less but it is more enjoyable. Me I am partial to the heart shaped box with the unicorns and rainbows on it. ;)

First year they couldn't keep fuel pumps in 'em, at least on the high banks.

I am sure that the systems must have a lot of redundancy built in and yes I did watch a race the other day where one went behind the fence to change a computer. I guess they had to finish the race even if they didn't place to stay in the points scramble.

KISS isn;t something that they recognize.

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Then, by your own definition, why aren't you using hydrogen?

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

I do...mix it with oxygen and pour it in the cooling system...

falcongeorge and Old6rodder like this.
  7. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Now, THAT'S FUNNY!

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I actually knew a guy who was playing around with hydrogen in a dragster. Its easy putting them together, the real bitch is breaking them apart again...And when you succeed, it still doesn't make much power in an internal combustion engine...;)

9. brandon

brandon

If you go search my post a few years ago...you'll see it doesn't take anything trick...no gear , street tires, and a really mild vortec headed 350 got it done. Haha

10. Not mine -

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

well Keith kept harping at me to get out in the garage, so I did. That was when I found this...
    DSCF0061.jpg

for those that don't know what 3690137 signifies, trust me, this is pertinent to the subject of this thread...;):eek: So I guess I gotta put that old Plymouth I found up at my dads house last weekend back together now...:p:rolleyes:

as long as guys like me have totally rango demented shit like this stashed away, PERFORMANCE will not die.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    loudbang likes this.
  12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, hydrogen as a vapor in an IC mill's hardly impressive. ;)

But, he said nothing about limiting himself to an IC engine, just "using the latest tech".
    That'd include reaction drive, and the far more HP to be had there, among others.

Of course I'm being pedantic, but only to make the point that most on this thread're simply arguing their favorite set of limits, one of his being IC combustion. And that's an argument with only subjective conclusions.

And, this, being the HAMB, with it's stated limits, already sets that stage. The "latest tech" would be another forum.

With that, it's likely time to duck & cover, so ......
    Farther, respondent sayeth not. :D

loudbang likes this.
  13. AHotRod

AHotRod

14. slammed

slammed

DOES PREFORMANCE REALLY MATTER ANYMORE And how much & most importantly how f a r, really far you are driving that street/strip drag car as well.

15. boutlaw

boutlaw

Cant believe I read most of this stuff, or some of the postings, I thought performance was the purpose for building a hot rod. Performance surely matters to me, my 31 coupe with sideoiler gets driven almost dailey, solid roller and all, its friggin noisey, rides rough, generally dirty, but it'll boil the hides, and scare my ass, Im with Squirrel, Falcon George, Flatheadjohn and anyone else that drives their hot rod like they were intended to be driven. Im friggin old, Im responsible, I friggin hurt like a MFer every morning, but Im in the shop building my straight axle, 445 FE powered , 65 Ranchero everyday trying to finish before Crusing the Coast this year. Hell, I probably wont make it, but not from lack of trying. I havent had a ticket in decades and drive the crap out of the coupe, thats what it was built for. Im not gonna let the fear of possibly getting a ticket spoil the enjoyment I get from thrashing the coupe. Every town has plenty of areas where you can drive a hot rod like its supposed to be driven without endangering anyone or locking horns with the PD. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Life is short, drive a hotrod.

Rustyproject, AHotRod, bowie and 3 others like this.
  16. You get 5 Stars today.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:D:D hey, but I DID finally get a set of rockers for the olds...:) You should have come out to White Rock on sunday, there was a really nice '35 Ford roadster out there I haven't seen before.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  18. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Gee, I've learned so much by reading this thread!
    1) I'm a poser because having the fastest ride is not my # 1 concern.
    2) If you call your car a hot rod, it has to be faster then 12 sec quarters.
    3) If your not into drag racing, you can't have a hot rod.
    4) If you not running ported camel hump heads your motor can't make power.
    There is more, but I'm tired of writing about that stuff!

All I know is my coupe has more power, handles better and has better brakes then it had when it was new. It probably gets better gas mileage, but I wonder if gas mileage was a concern in 1948. I've driven a car (not this one) down the quarter mile 8 times in my 58 years, and all of those were at 3 different HAMB Drags (and all of them much slower then 12 seconds). I can get rubber in 2nd gear, and I can drive the car in stop and go traffic all day long without concerns. Its borderline HAMB friendly
    Its a good thing I'm not really concerned about how any of you feel about my car, my wife and I both like it, so we are happy. Gene

Blase, dana barlow and 2racer like this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I learned that I am not really a hot rodder, and I don't belong here.

dana barlow and slammed like this.
  20. Diavolo

Diavolo

Literally anyone can buy from the factory today something that will literally beat the pants off anything from 2000 and older. Performance literally doesn't matter. Car culture is not about that.

This is not about that.

It's about embracing the old school way of doing things. It's about making something with your own two hands and having something you can be proud of.

Caprice89, Speed Gems and 2racer like this.
  21. Phttttt :p I could have told you that a long time ago to be a real hot rodder and have a real hot rod you have to be from the Las Angeles basin. :rolleyes:

Hey that thangs got a gear drive aint it.o_O:D

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Maybe this will help...courtesy of The Free Dictionary online

hot rod
    also hot-rod (hŏt′rŏd′)
    n. Slang
    An automobile that has been rebuilt or modified to increase its speed and acceleration.

ja•lop•y
    (dʒəˈlɒp i)

n., pl. -lop•ies.
    an old, decrepit, or unpretentious automobile.

pretty clear and unequivocal, isnt it? you know, the great thing about dictionaries, they don't have a dog in the fight, nothing to justify, no excuses or self serving bullshit, they just provide definitions.

Notice it also doesn't say anything about Camaros, Mustangs, Tri-5's, Model A's or Deuces?

Back in the day, before there was any such thing as "traditional hot rodding" or the HAMB, there was a saying that was pretty much universal, "If it don't go, chrome it". Hell nowadays, half these guys cant even be bothered to PAINT IT, let alone chrome it!
    Theres another word I used to hear ALL the time, that, unfortunately, has fallen from use, "shot rod". Needs to be revived maybe?

loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  23. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Building high performance cars inevitably results in the Hot Rod Blues, meaning that eventually you'll blow something up, end up stranded on the road, spend all your lunch money on repairs, or worse.
    When we're young and immortal we can tolerate a lot more of the Hot Rod Blues. As we get older, reliability, safety, and comfort become a little more important than roasting the tires. That's not saying that occasionally roasting the tires is out of the question.....

24. Funny what my dad called a jalopy was what I called a beater in my time.
    There were cars that showed up that were a little rough around the edges, not clapped out but just a little rough around the edges some of them "performed" better then others but they were the likeness of a hot rod just not finessed as a rule.

One that comes to mind was a closed cab pickup somewhere between an A and a '34 ( I am trying to picture this in my mind OK?) and it was sliced and diced like a show rod, had a valve in head with enough carbs to give any tuner nightmares and was always in primer. The owner was a sort of a beatnik lookin' dude and he always got greeted with the standard family mouth (yes I come by my language from my very early childhood surrounded by real hot rodders and racers) ending in when you gonna paint that jalopy. The reply was always the same, "F__k you very much John". Finally one day the Ol' Man pulled a gallon of paint out from under the bench and suggested that the old jalopy would look good that color. I think it was shiny the next time I saw it and it was no longer a jalopy then it was a 'Hot Rod".

Funny the things you remember, of course no one asked a dictionary what jalopy meant it was just a given.

25. slammed

slammed

Trying to redefine, so someone else toys can be accepted. Wanting your era or style to be included seems deluded being it has been defined long ago on the board. The car, put in on the road.

26. Uh I don't understand. No offense I am just not getting what you are trying to say.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  27. I figured you'd be used to that by now.

28. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

"Does performance matter anymore?"
    Yes, yes, & yes! it's mattered since the first caveman has put a stick into a wheel &rolled past another cavedude & yelled, "Smell ya later!" It will still matter 4 centuries from now ( If the Good Lord lets us live that long). Even the eco-weenies with their solar & electric powered cars are trying to "outperform" each other.
    Is it the ONLY thing that matters? no.
    Just build your ride the best you can.
    For me, the answer is the same now as it was when I was a younger man. The only difference is I don't feel the necessity to express it by drawing a one finger salute in black marks-a-lot on my inside door panel (Just for anyone who wanted to look!).
    If I listened to every person who told me how I SHOULD build my rod I wouldn't have one.
    ( Uh, with that being said.... if anybody's got any free performance parts they don't want?....anyone....)

29. I seriously doubt that the "Good Lord" is going to let me live that long. At east I hope not, that's a damned long time to feel this bad and no one could be that cruel. Although it has been pointed out to me by more then one believer that I will probably spend eternity in the bad place so maybe someone could be the cruel. :rolleyes:

30. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I just realized I do still care about performance, only it is no longer about outperforming everyone else. Nothing I build is stock, even the caddy has 2x the factory HP, better brakes, bigger sway bars and quicker steering. Better MPG is just icing on the cake. It might even be considered a hot rod! Now if I could just figure out the rear suspension so I could actually race it on the track and get some times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.