Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Zandoz

Zandoz

I've been drawn to that pic since I first saw it, but I could not put my finger on why. You've summed it up perfectly.

2. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

I understand what your saying but I believe the internal baffling/gasket design will prevent leakage. I have seen some of these vintage Mickey Thompson breathers run this way in the past and set mine up in the same manner. I am also running a PCV set up to use the vents to suck not blow.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg The gaskets only have a couple small holes in the bottom portion below the baffling.
    image.jpg The PCV set up draws crankcase air from the fuel pump block off plate. Not a great picture with the oil fill tube blocking it. This block off plate has two holes, one for the oil fill tube and one for PCV.

image.jpg
    You can see how low the Pitman arm gets in the above picture. I'm not against reconsidering the steering box location. This is an older Total Performance frame and the box mount/location is theirs. I see a lot running around with this setup but I questioned it as soon as I got the frame. I just discounted my concerns when I saw others doing it. I would love to see examples of/designs of a safe cowl steering design. Possibly something like this http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cowl-steering-in-a-day.73389/#post-891829
    I had taller headlight stands and couldn't get past the "bug eyed" appearance. My own personal taste and I saw several traditional builds/vintage photos done in this manner. You are right, I am probably giving up some lighting capability.

Thanks again,

Mike

loudbang likes this.
  3. Without large backing plates its easy to get correct Ackerman and it looks to be achieved. JW

01mikep and dana barlow like this.
  4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

AFA the drag link being that low , I'm not a fan , but that's how TP did it forever.... AFA the breathers , if you're running a pcv ,w/o any sort of "media" in the breathers , you'll be sucking in airborne dust & bugs , not good IMO.....Lastly , unless you really like alot of vibration , fatigued fasteners , cracked welds , etc. I'd lose the solid motor mounts...
    dave

01mikep and dana barlow like this.
  5. Chip,
    Are you getting wet? :D I just washed the Coupe and the Daily in the passing thunderstorm, gonna go dry now as it appears to be clearing off! Neighbors think I'm nuts, but that was a free spot free rinse AND I did my part for California's water shortage!

Mile,

My cars a Total car also, I'll run down to the shop later and snap a few pics. I think it's mounted just like yours, except the pitman arm points straight up instead of down. this also aligns the drag link with the radius tods to eliminate bump steer.

Kurt (Blownfuel)

01mikep likes this.
  6. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Good thinking, I should be able to make up some filters easy enough.
    On solid motor mounts folks debate back and forth. I have used both in the past and have not seen cracking of welds or broken fasteners with solid mounts but you certainly feel the vibrations. I have had rubber mounts come apart though. Your right in that solid mounts are not needed on a street car and rubber would be more practical.

If this were to be a comfortable cruiser type car that would see slot of miles, I would go rubber. I don't see this car being that and I already had the solid mounts sitting around.

Thanks you all who have taken the time to share your insight. I appreciate the knowledge shared.

Mike

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Your hardhead dose not help your rod at all,rubber mounts is very good advise . The drawing below;Take note that every design here has [ D] above other parts of car that can take a hit first with out putting you out of control,plus less bump steer!. I will not go into cross steering,but it is a good way also. I hate cowel steering on anything but a sprintcar*,99% of the time its done badly on street rod an always looks bad. It has nothing to do with "personal taste" but engineering an really shity bump steer,plus bad feel to driver {like go-cart steering and that sucks on hotrod. Poor"personal taste" much of the time comes from seeing something wrong so manytimes you think its cool cuz u don't know anybetter ,guess what nether did they,but its still wrong bad engineering=dose not make it cool if it works bad. I'm gone help wise,let others or Chip fill in if they wish
    . Hotrodsteering.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  8. pitman

pitman

Would mention, the Total T's had the issue Dana mentioned, either w/the pitman arm being hit/dragged, or the box opening up, I simply recall reading of it. Something to avoid!
    Knew Mickey L., Jerry G., and Kevin, when they formed the shop.

9. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Dana, thanks for posting the chart on steering designs and shortcomings. The quick visual and explanation answers a lot pretty quickly.
    Pretty much makes a cowl steering a no go as you wouldn't be able to make S-D be parallel with S-B, in return causing bump steer.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the Total Performance design attempted to create a parallel S-D and S-B planes at the expense of lowering the pitman arm very low in proximity to the ground. Why would they do this and why did they for so long.

Seems like the best fix would be to put the steering box on top if the frame rail in front of the firewall while at the same time running longer hairpins or radius rods. This would get the above mentioned planes closest to parallel.

Like you said "personal taste" doesn't have much to do with it. Especially when it is safety oriented.

Thanks again for explaining things to a hardheaded fella like me.

Mike

pitman, dana barlow and brad2v like this.
  10. oh yeah, for filter breathers I just have sponges stuffed into the breathers. Works fine, and I don't run a PCV.

11. Wow, apparently this is the only T pic I took at LARS! I was slacking!

102_0610.JPG

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Great looking T,Blownfuel,nice OJ one as well w/ sexy + engine!
    . If your arm's got about 4in.+ off the road and other stuff is lower,I'd call it pretty safe looking at photo.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mike, Ive been running steel motor mounts with a rubber trans mount on street cars for decades, ask ten street rod guys and nine of them will tell you it wont work. Ask ten street racers, and they'll all tell you the opposite. The vibes are no big deal at all. Loctite and ny locs are your friends...
    Not often I disagree with Dana, but this is one of those times..

volvobrynk and dana barlow like this.
  14. Think I posted this before, I like to split the difference and run a solid mount on the drivers side, and a rubber one on the passenger side. That way I get the strength on the tension side, and the vibration resistance on the compression side. Seems to work pretty well!
    Thanks, Dana. I believe I have about 6"-8" clearance on the pitman arm.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ive known other guys that do this as well, seems to work fine.

dana barlow likes this.
  16. Hey guys, normaly I would have posted my LARS pics by now but we are still traveling so I havnt had the ability to do so. We will be still traveling for a few weeks yet and I can keep up with everything by my phone.

whiplash1923T and dana barlow like this.
  17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Regarding " I am also running a PCV set up to use the vents to suck not blow.", I'm just wondering how all that factors in when the blower is actually blowing more than the engine is sucking? o_O

18. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Hackerbuilt is referencing a comment about I made about the use of valve cover breathers on a supercharged engine going into my T.

If the boost pressure is leaving the intake side of the engine or cylinder and ending up in the crankcase...A guy has bigger issues that need attention. Two separate (hopefully) areas. Granted there is some degree if blow by in every engine, regardless if it is supercharged or not. My hope is the a PCV will be able to maintain a negative pressure in the crankcase.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  19. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Blownfuel,
    What type of spring set up is on the T? From the angle of the picture I can't see how it works. Looks overly complicated but must serve a purpose.

20. verde742

verde742

Has kinda of a bell crank on each end, stationary in the middle, as the "L" shaped bell crank, moves, collapses the coils, horizontally.

21. nobux

nobux

It's an opposed coil-over style front suspension.

22. Must be a young'un! That's a Dan Woods chassis...a little past the HAMB period, but here's a thread that talked about it.

23. Happy Birthday, America! Happy 4th of July, guys!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Tim_with_a_T and loudbang like this.
  24. Happy 4th of July to all my American friends!

Steve

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. Damn, still no posting going on. I'm sure I'm gonna get yelled at for this (being off topic and all), but here are a few more pics of Roadsters and Coupes I liked at the Roadster Show. 102_0611.JPG 102_0612.JPG 102_0613.JPG 102_0614.JPG 102_0615.JPG

26. I think this ones been on the road a while....I swear the stack of registration stickers was over an 1/8" tall! 102_0627.JPG
    102_0628.JPG 102_0630.JPG

daddio211 and volvobrynk like this.
  27. 102_0608.JPG 102_0609.JPG 102_0616.JPG 102_0617.JPG 102_0608.JPG 102_0609.JPG 102_0616.JPG Coupes are for chickens!

daddio211 and volvobrynk like this.
  28. 102_0606.JPG 102_0607.JPG 102_0618.JPG but some are better than others!

29. And lastly...if I wasn't unemployed right now, this DEFINITELY would be sitting in my living room right now! 102_0620.JPG

30. You have good taste Sir. :D:cool::D
    Jeremy

volvobrynk likes this.