Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SURVIVOR;Working on my hotrod 28A from 1959,rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dana barlow, Apr 11, 2013.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like this angle shot he sent me also,my phone dosn't even take pic,I get bitch out from the gang for not updating,they even ask if the one I have is a round dial up,LOL
    51020015b.jpg

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

hotrodNharleys1.jpg
    Dads Day was fun,the weekend was good weather an full of car shows. Got to go to 3 shows{I went to the free ones] others were $10 n $20 entr. an saw some nice cars too. Last show was"Hot Rods & Harley's" by a bike dealer,some very nice bikes n chicks too,dran phone not taking photos foooy. They did give out $ prizes to both rods an bikes they liked. I got told I miss getting top Hot Rod by 1 point,so I ask the biker that was judging what the point was just for fun;He said cuz my subpention was not chromed. Thanks for the info,but an't getting chrome next year ether LOL. I'll post a photo as soon as I can steal one off FB from the that show.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    rodl and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Integrity, Dana, no need to lower yourself to meet their standards on judging rods.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Bikers tend to like chrome, so do I on most bikes but like a nice balance of paint and chrome on rods. More paint the older the build and period. JW

dana barlow likes this.
  5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Got my head/intake plate from my buddy Mike,so back to doing a little work on the homemade 4x2 log intake. I had him cut plates with out any of the bolt holes,this way he only needed one pattern an the way I drill the bolt holes makes them for left or right head. 016.JPG

AndersF likes this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

034.JPG 035.JPG Fitting the log I pre fabbed,were the log runner comes too close to a bolt,I made a indent for spacing,one of these in up front,the other in rear,before tack welding things in place. The plane is to tack every thing and mock up the carbs and linage before total welding. That way I'll besure it all works together.

AndersF likes this.
  7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

All set up on old Y-block on stand as a test jig. With logs tacked in place,next was to add carb plates an be sure these were level an strait with each other. Don't want carbs all williy nilley looking. So did this to keep them good as I tack weld. 039.JPG

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    AndersF, Okie Pete and Hotrodmyk like this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

OK,so far,carbs look strait,time to work out linkage 041.JPG

9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That would suck to go thru all that work and not have them aligned properly.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Now that u know what to look for,u maybe shocked at how many old homemade intakes have carbs that are a bit off. Hope showing how,helps some one.
    I made a fuelrail with some box stainless steel tube,an little bracket to hold it,tryed to make it clean an tiddy. The top rad hose set up I made can be seen to. Linkage parts are just laying there for now,got to work them all out

044.JPG

AndersF and Hotrodmyk like this.
  11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Tacked together some linkage,still going to need a few more do dads and springs ect. before desiding if I can fully weld all this stuff together.

050.JPG

AndersF, Okie Pete, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  12. All very cool Dana, what finish are the manifolds going to have? JW

dana barlow likes this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

For now was thinking gloss black on log intake an carb bases yellow,just clean up rest of crab best I can. Maybe much later polish carbs to shine

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Need to make a run to hardwear store for stainless steel bolts I'll polish an some springs.Weld on some spring brackets and all the rest of were its only tacked together. Then rebuild the carbs too along with paint,aways to go yet.. If I did this again,I think I may try for even shorter runners to lower it some more. I think it's going to look pretty good when done 048.JPG

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Can't wait to see the finished job. :)

dana barlow likes this.
  16. 59 brook

59 brook

thanks for the ride in this awesome car - you should write a book DANA"S guide to hot rodding for big dummies like me .

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE and dana barlow like this.
  17. Javier Garcia

Javier Garcia

Love this build! Love traditional Rods!

dana barlow likes this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Did a little more messing around with 4x2 carb linkage,so here is update. Will make some fancyer adjustible adtachmints for springs vs the bent wire "C"on it now,these 2 spring feel like they should work good. 005.JPG

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

006.JPG Just a tesser;Thinking ahead,on making shiny spots to add ,after I do carbs rebuild and full welding,paint carb base's yellow and log gloss black. I picked up some 5/16in. stainless steel acorns that will look nice as carb base hold down,and some stainless steel screws for top of carbs. I'll polish them all up so they will look like chrome,even the little hose clamps not shown yet,won't make it run any better,but great eye candy.
    Some were I have some semi clear red gas line,it may look better then just clear dose? Guess I'll try an find it to see if that'd look werid with the black n yellow combo later?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    loudbang, rodl, AndersF and 3 others like this.
  20. ................Slick...............!! JW:cool::D

dana barlow likes this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

You are moving right along on this now.

dana barlow likes this.
  22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Update on this passed Father's Day show;,I got in mail today a big package 8 by 10in.,it was from car n bike show at Peterson's Harley-Davidson bike shop Miami,turns out they did send me an award plaqc for "Top Hotrod Build" I'm a bit shocked. Even though it was mostly biker's,some really good ones n cool rides,but around 40 cars an 11 hotrods came as well. So two Hotrod's got awards,my buddy Rosh's 23T I helped him build got "Top Hotrod" { he's the one with lots of chrome,and as I now found out me too with "Top Hotrod Build" I'm guessing they did some talking later or something,an sent me this! Very nice of them really,thats not something that happens very often at all. Scan.jpg

loudbang, 26 T Ford RPU and kiwijeff like this.
  23. Well done and very much deserved Dana :cool::cool::D JW

dana barlow likes this.
  24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Two big shows over this 4th july weekend,one on firday nite,Miami Springs 3july [for the 4th] show was good one,lots of cars all dolled up in stars an strips. It rained very hard right after we got parked in place around the circle, but it cleared up after a hr. so pulled the rain trap of the hotrod an dolled it up in red ,white,an blue. Big show on sat 4th too at another local{more later,so off to that one in the am,Hope it dosen't rain there also' At this first show on the 3rd they gave out awards to any of the cars that decked out fairly nice in red white an blue,the biggist fun was the trophy girl was really hot,going to have to steel some ones photo of her for ya.

IMG_6225.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  26. Looking good in its regalia, very cool.:cool::cool::D JW

27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

At the 3rd july show late yesterday ,my buddy Mark was there too with his very cool 32,he did get a GOOD photo of my 28A bobtail, all dolled up for the 4th in stars an strips! My hotrod never looked better! 2015july3show.jpg

28. Hankster32

Hankster32

One gas tank is a beer keg the other one looks like a speedway . The one in the middle is a moon?

29. Dana, you post the coolest photos!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool::D JW

dana barlow likes this.