Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wheel and Hubcap question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 08racer, Jun 12, 2015.

1. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Ok, So I finally found the artillery wheels that I wanted.
    photo 1.JPG
    Next order of business get some caps.
    photo 2.JPG
    These are the caps that are suppose to fit the original style wheels. I just figured they should work.
    (after talking the guy into who sold them to me that they would work.) My fault.
    photo 3.JPG
    Nope
    photo 4.JPG

So my question is, Do I need to make these work by modifying the wheel or cap? Or can I get set that fit? ( I have another set for the newer wheel vintique wheels that are on the car now and they definitely do not fit) I know back in the day the wheels had these types of caps on them. (I have seen pictures)

Thanks,

Tom

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Does the OD on the cap flange match the rim recess, or are the tabs interfering / not catching in some way? Tabs are rivited on, will caps fit if tabs are removed and modified / moved slightly? Later Vintique wheels would presumably be JJ rated with double safety beads, stamping could be slightly different to allow for aftermarket caps?

3. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Yes, I could bend the tabs and or modify them. The caps will fit. These caps that I just bought are for original ford wheels. (The wheel vintigue caps are much different) Just thought maybe i was missing something because I have seen old pictures of this style cap on these wheels.

4. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Is there a different type of hub cap that fit these maybe?

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Well, for one, those are not original ford wheels. They are likely 1930s/40s aftermarket, Kelsey-Hayes and Budd are most common (I can't tell without seeing the backs of them) but could be OEM for an 'other' manufacturer. Ford never made a factory artillery wheel, unless you count the '36-39 wide-fives. That said, Ford hubcaps won't fit without modification. The ford caps secure with an outward flare, those secure into the clips with an inward flare a la GM and MoPar caps. You may be able to find somthing that fits in a non-ford catalog.

I'll try to track down some good pics of the aftermarket caps that fit Kelsey-Hayes artilleries, I have been trying to track down a set for mine for quite some time...

6. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Thanks. I know it can be done I'll just have to modify them I guess.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434230812.716471.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434230850.534443.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434231011.879826.jpg

7. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

I'm an idiot. They actually fit. Please disregard this post.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434251041.791276.jpg

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

yes, that is correct.