Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Halibrand 6 Pin Front Hub Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jack Offenhauser, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Jack Offenhauser

Jack Offenhauser

I have a pair of Halibrand 6 pin roadster front hubs that I am reconditioning for a restoration project. My question: these hubs came bare, and I am hopeful one of the members knows what type of grease seal to use (I'm guessing Ford V8, but that is a complete guess!). There was one slotted retaining washer that came with the hubs that looks like a Ford V8 piece, hopefully someone far more versed in this can give me some insight!

The spindles are some kind of International truck spindle - again, I have no idea as to exactly what year or model International truck they come off of.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. mmmmm, how about some pics Jack

3. Jack Offenhauser

Jack Offenhauser

Great suggestion Rick, should have thought of that myself! I've attached a couple of photos of the spindle, I will post a couple of the hub later (I'm trying to find them!)

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Pretty common in the sprint car world. Any bearing/seal supplier worth their salt should be able to find a seal given the I.D. / O.D. and thickness dimensions.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup. Take the whole batch down to your somewhat friendly bearing warehouse/ wholesaler and gently place them on the counter and ask for some help. If there are any racers/hot rodders in the room they will become apparent about thirty seconds after you say what they are.

6. Jack Offenhauser

Jack Offenhauser

Thanks, I will give it a try... the auto parts/bearing parts folks around my area range from 'not helpful' to 'fairly worthless' when it comes to this kind of stuff.

It seems if you don't walk in with a precise part number, they don't know what to do...

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Looks like you want seal #19893. Which is probably a long ago obsolete/super ceded # . But armed with that a some measurements any bearing house should be able to hook you up. img321.jpg

stillrunners likes this.
  8. Jack Offenhauser

Jack Offenhauser

Rootie, that is awesome information... thank you! I have been looking high and low for this kind of detail on Halibrand hubs. You have made my day!

9. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

There's no step on your spindle for the inner bearing cone to bear against and the inner diameter of the seal to ride on. Looks like the spacer part #8 would provide that step for both the bearing and the seal. But the H in the spacer's part number would indicate its a Halibrand part and likely unavailable. You're probably going to have to determine the dimensions of the spacer and make it or have it made.

The bearing numbers look to be still good numbers. The inner cone fits a 1.562 diameter. The seal crosses to a Timken #8998. That seal fits a 2" shaft, so those dimensions can be used to determine the ID and OD of the spacer. The length of the spacer is going to determine where the hub sits on the spindle, so you may have to determine that dimension by assembling everything else and doing some measuring.

If you look online for bearing or seal dimensions, or for part number interchanges for these parts, timken has more information on their site than anyone else.

10. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Jack.......I'm in the process of restoring a 1975 nance supermod. I was given the front axle minus any spindles. I was given a few spindles that do not work with the axle it's self. When I try the them in the axle it has way too much kingpin nose angle. When I saw your pictures using international spindles they look a lot better. Do you know how much angle they use.?.....the other problem is the width of the kingpin too..... image.jpg

Mickey Meyer likes this.
  11. Jack Offenhauser

Jack Offenhauser

Meengeinch, I'm not in my shop, but 6 deg sticks in my mind. Someone else on the forum may know for certain.

If no one else comes back I will measure a pair of spindles I have and let you know.

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

IIRC -Ford truck was 10deg. IH was 9deg. and Ford econoline was 5deg. Those were the most common used on open wheel cars.

stillrunners likes this.
  13. 55willys

55willys

It looks to me that the spindle pictured is on upside down.