Register now to get rid of these ads!

First Build Thread '29 Ford special coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Binger, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Back in the '50s a neighbor gave my dad a (I believe) a '39 Chevy sedan. He wasn't able to drive the car so my Grandfather would take Dad for drives and taught him how to maintain the car. One day while at the gas station a gentleman offered to trade the Chevy for a 1929 Model A Special Coupe. The car was in pretty good shape. It had been painted recently with a brush a shade Dad always called garbage truck green. They used left over paint from when they painted the trucks. This must have been '58 or '59. Dad got old enough to drive and he drove the car his first 2 years of high school. When he was a senior he decided he needed a bigger car and bought a '30 chevy 4 door sedan but kept the coupe. It got put into storage for future restoration. Fast forward 20 years and needing more space inside the garage the coupe got moved outside and it sat there for another 25 years. Dad always talked about starting to work on the car but never got to it. After dad passed away my brother and I decided to build the car into a hotrod. I started this project in 2008 and took a 3 year break while I built my step son an OT '68 Chevy truck. I am back on it and am making good progress.

My plans are to run a hopped up A engine. I have a T-5 behind the motor and am using a torque tube adapter that the HAMB's own Crazy Daddy O built. I am using Speedway juice brakes, split wishbone, 4" drop front axle with a reverse eye spring. There is a 6" Z in the frame my brother and I built. Coupe jungle.jpg Coupe beginning.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Good lookin car and a nice shop also. Have fun and keep them pics comin.....Tim

3. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

4. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

5. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

6. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429029253.504062.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429029292.075674.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429029376.958479.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Some of these are out of order and I apologize for some of the crappy phone pictures.
    Hard to believe that going on 8 years of off and on work is summed up in a handful of pictures.

9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's a nice starting point! Looks solid.
    Dosent look like it sat out for that long.

What is the plan with the mill?
    There is a great thread, getting my banger rod to so highway speed, there is a nice post about what needs to be done to have sufficient power to cruise at highway speed with a T5.
    Not that you need to got that fast, but there was some damn good advise too, about bangers.

I like it a lot, so fare! And there is just something about 19 inch wire wheels I like, over the 16 inch V8 wire wheels.

And I most confess there I something about the look from a Banger with a lion's head, VW (bug) 009 distributer and two SU on homemade manifolds.

Keep at it, lad.

Dannerr likes this.
  10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

The plan for the motor is to start with bearing inserts and a counterbalanced crank. Cut down flywheel and a V8 clutch. High compression head to run with Vintage single Down draft intake and Red's Header. I have a Mallory Distributor I plan on running also. I plan on running a stock engine until I can afford to have one built. I want to get this on the road this summer and work out the bugs and blow it all apart for paint and upholstery next winter.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Sounds good, nice plans, and is the pictures the whole but not completed car, resent or month back?
    What is the plan for the body, slight channel no chop, of slight chop and no channel? And this is just a teaser.

Belongs to @manyoldcar

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429031997.660712.jpg

Malory's distributor are good, the only reason a brought Ol' 009 up, is because the are cheap, available and easy to adapt.

Dannerr and 30tudor like this.
  12. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

The pics of the frame build out were from about 7 years ago. The most recent ones are of the shocks head and tail lights floor boards and steering column. I am making great progress recently. A friend in town wants me to have it ready to take to the Hotrod Hill Climb at the end of June But I don't think I will be able to make that one.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. This is a nice build, I'm watching.

Donald A. Smith and volvobrynk like this.
  14. Drive'em

Drive'em

Cool coupe, great work. Looks like it's going to be a fun ride!

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I don't normally like banger builds, but yours is very cool.. Keep it going...

16. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Body plan is simple No chop no channel. I am a tall and big around guy who cant fit into a chopped channeled car. I already moved the seat back 6" by moving the seat riser back and cutting down the package tray. I can post up some pics of those parts tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone for looking

metalhead140 and volvobrynk like this.
  17. So is the Bosch to Volvo B18/20, when we're from here, VolvoBrynk. ;)

Kuul thread, Binger, I'm subscribing! :cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Jeg er fra Langeland. so south like you, but in the neutral zone between the main land, and those who is mistaken

The Volvo B18D And the 009 are 75% the same, If you knock out the the pin and take off the "adapter/connector". The only small differens is the Volvo turns counter-clockwise, and the 009 turnes clockwise.

But being a Volvo man you knows this stuff as well as I do!
    And since I don't own a 4 banger, I don't know what distributor is needed to make it work.
    But I the adapter will be the same, and I bet you know that too

How is the a-bone treating you?

19. Ja, det regnede jeg ud- er oprindeligt fra Lolland, så blæser nok forbi i Ole-Henry 2-3 gange på en sommer, når jeg skal "hjem". ;)

Ok- I just read about a Sweede with charged banger running a modified B18 distributor, and will try to copy that at some point... if I ever run out of functional Scintillas.
    Has been wondering if the VW-Scintilla's (out of the industial VW's) could be made to reverse (turn counter clock wise) - but so far prices has been to high to just break one down...

Ole-Henry runs great, very few problems (engine wise!) ever since I put in the touched-up AA truck motor... :D:cool:

20. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431397742.825999.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431397790.737657.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431397811.754086.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431397837.142301.jpg

I got the quarter window tins and the top of the back nailed on this weekend. Working on the pieces above the doors now.

barrnone50 and Jacob Goodin like this.
  21. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

What are the front shocks off of? I really like your build.

22. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

The front and rear shocks are from a 1930 Chevy. I cut the eyes of the end and welded the ball off of ford shocks so I can use the dogbones. The rears are from the same car but I used the chevy shock links on them. The original eyes from the chevy were welded to the radius rods. I had to shorten the chevy links to work. Sorry I don't have any pics of the rear. I can get some shots and post them.

23. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Top.jpg Top 2.jpg

I got the tins that go above the doors installed this last weekend. There are a few more wood pieced that need to go in and all the wood will be finished.

I have taken the engine out and am getting it painted and ready to go back in. Looks like I will be able to drive this thing this summer IF I can find a clutch that will work for me. I am working on getting one made. Anyone know where to find one that will work with a T-5 and a stock A bell housing?

barrnone50 and Jacob Goodin like this.
  24. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I have the auto restorations I think it's called model a to t5 adapter kit it came with a clutch that uses the factory bell. I haven't bolted it all up yet tho and the clutch is very cheap like but it might get you going until you get one made. Be sure to list the specs on the clutch because I'd like to get a better one.

25. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Auto restorations is out of business. Phone is disconnected. I should have bought the disc when I bought the adapter plate, the pilot extension and the throw out sleeve. I didn't have funds at the time for the disc and am running a closed driveshaft and didn't need the rest of the kit. Could you post a pic of that disc? I would like to see what they made.

26. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Yes I can I'm sure it's just a generic clutch it's really light and cheap feeling I'll get pics and part numbers.

27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks. A pic will go along way to help figuring out what I need to have built. I think I will end up using one of the $70 Speedway discs and having to modify a hub for the center.

28. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

This is what I got I bought the kit secondhand and had to buy the pilot bushing extender I think it's called and the spacer that goes over the input shaft so you can use the model a throw out bearing I called auto restorations they were a real mom and pop type business it seems but we're very helpful and even sent me a copy of the instructions if you need them. I didn't get there open drive conversion tho. I have a open drive truck banjo I'm going to use under mine. Here's the clutch I guess it uses the model a pressure plate but I haven't got that far yet I'll try to mock it up with the spare engine I have soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There's no part numbers or anything I could find probally were on what's left of that sticker. Hope this helps at least a little

jetman likes this.
  29. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks for the pictures. That is what I expected to see for the center of the disk. It does look cheap and cheesy. I think the auto restorations guy built these clutches. The trick is that funky hub in the center. Yes it uses a stock pressure plate but if you cut down the flywheel and use a V8 clutch, the disc is still the same. This is going to come down to finding someone to make the center section and then install it onto a suitable disc. I will keep you updated on what I find will work. I have reached out to a couple of fellow HAMBers and will talk to them again and see what I need to do to get this clutch built. When you get a chance Peter could you measure the diameter of that shoulder and center and the length of it. I will post a pic of the throw out sleeve and the pilot bearing adapter on a transmission.

30. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I would love to have my flywheel lightened and run a v8 clutch but I didn't know if I could running the auto restorations adapter setup so keep me informed on what you find out. I'll take some measurements for you asap but they may be a little crude as I don't have a micrometer curently.