Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Pontiac 2 Door Chieftan Wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kosnmotion, May 4, 2015.

1. kosnmotion

kosnmotion
    from Phoenix

Hey guys need some help. I just picked up this nice wagon and looking to do some restoration on it. I don't see many places that sell what I need. I know there are some chevy parts that are interchangeable but since this is my first ever Pontiac (and wagon) I want to be sure what I buy will fit so I don't throw my money away foolishly. With that said if any of you Pontiac guru's have some contacts or valuable information you can share with me it would be greatly appreciated. Main stuff I need is seals and glass. Thanks IMG_0545.JPG IMG_0549.JPG

pontiac likes this.
  2. pontiac

pontiac

Nice score, looks like a solid car... The glass and seals are the same as the Chevrolet of the same body style.. I've bought from CPR, pontiacparts.net for my older Pontiac's. They may have some of what you need. The chassis, driveline, etc are Pontiac specific. I don't have a mid 50's Pontiac, so I'm sure someone else will chime in with more of what you can use.

kosnmotion likes this.
  3. bryan6902

bryan6902

Ames Performance Engineering will be a good resource and Danchuk will have Chevy parts that fit. I've called Danchuk and explained what I was looking for and they have always pointed me in the right direction.

kosnmotion likes this.
  4. greybeard360

greybeard360

5. I'd do some checking as those look like '55 Chevy tail light openings....maybe some one stuck a '55 Pontiac nose on it. I may very well be wrong but I don't think Pontiacs had the same openings as the Chevy

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

Same openings on the wagons but different lenses. The Safari was completely different than the wagons or Nomads.

7. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I the 55 Chevrolet rear lights fit the rear, and many guys do that swap (and the other way around). The rear bumpers also swap. You already know about the glass and seals. Other than that, unless it's a Canadian Pontiac, the rest is strictly Pontiac. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

kosnmotion likes this.
  9. Quarter panels for 55 chevy wagons and Pontiacs are the same. Doors are the same but are punched with different stainless molding holes. All glass and rubbers are the same for 55 and 56 chevy and Pontiac. Tailgates are the same. Chassis and related parts are completely different as all front sheetmetal , dashes and floors. Individual floorpans from 55-56 chevs can be used on Pontiacs with some massaging .

10. I know that a lot of the parts are the same or similar....but the tail light openings threw me :rolleyes: I knew neither one had the quarter panel dip and that doors & tail gates would interchange

11. Really? I was under the impression that the frames were the same??

12. gir431

gir431

Chevrolet and Pontiac quarter panels are not the same, I've been through that. The front doors are the same. The frame is not the same as Chev, Pontiacs are longer forward of the front door and they have king pin front suspension.

13. i have a 55 pontiac 2dr. wgn. and they share a few things but have enough differences to be a pain!;)

richard price likes this.
  14. kosnmotion

kosnmotion
    from Phoenix

Thanks guys, I knew fellow HAMBERS would pull through. I also really need a gas tank. I see some for the Safari out there for $400 but like everything else, nobody knows if it will work. I know they have different part numbers

15. wvenfield

wvenfield

The frames are completely different. Is your tank flat like most sedans or more tall and round? If the later the Safari tank may be the same.

16. kosnmotion

kosnmotion
    from Phoenix

The tank in there now is home made and pretty nice really. I just want to put it back to original

17. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

That happens to be a pretty uncommon car - they only built 6,099 two door Chieftain wagons that year.

18. kosnmotion

kosnmotion
    from Phoenix

Yeah Stuart, it is. The body is perfect no rust anywhere not even the tailgate area where they always had problems. The interior is new, motor is original 317 with 326 heads and dual exhaust. Just needs paint and put back together. I'm going black and silver on this one. I'll post pictures as it progresses

19. wvenfield

wvenfield

That would be interesting as the 317 is reverse flow where the 326 isn't.

20. kosnmotion

kosnmotion
    from Phoenix

My mistake, they are the 347 head from a 57.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    wvenfield likes this.
  21. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

Actually all Pont V-8s are reverse flow 55-59.......std flow started in 1960.

22. richard price

richard price

I share your pain, I have a 55' Safari too; just finished putting floors in it; hope to get her on the road in June:)
    Cheers from Ontario

23. jswilke

jswilke

Welcome to Pontiac land. I happened to purchase a similar 56 Chieftain 2 door wagon earlier this year that was already restored/mildly customized 10 years ago. I have found many body and trim parts, including tailgate, are interchangeable with Chevy parts, but frame/suspension and front end sheet metal are way different than Chevy. Mine has had both 55 Chevy taillights and the present hard to find 56 Pontiac taillights...either bolt right in. It presently has a 55 Chevy wagon rear bumper. Yell if you have additional specific interchangeability questions...I may have an answer. I can send you pictures if you want.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  24. jswilke

jswilke

All glass and associated weather striping and seals should be interchangeable with Chevy parts.