Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Knows His Humps- SBC 327 Heads???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Southfork, Sep 18, 2007.

1. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Yep, "single hump" 290 heads are small valve, lo-po heads. I have set right now on my 327. Runs good on regular gas, but not real fast. I'm about to get it rebuilt using "double hump" 461 heads with 1.94 valves.

2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Ironically today is hump day.:D

3. I want to see the whole car (albeit off-topic) that you got from the old lady.

4. I had a 65 SS chevell with the 250 up engine which had the double hump heads & I bought it new from Felix Chevy LA, CA
    It had 194 intake valves.

5. old sparks

old sparks

be careful early chev heads had valve seats as part of the head casting not good if your running on the street with unleaded fuel you can put more money in these heads than it would cost to buy after market heads with hardened valve seats

6. Around by my estate there are 2 Places you Can BY Leaded Gas
    One is a Steward High Test. 2.88 per Gallon
    the Other is a CES gas station a little Higher Price

All the Hot Rods & Antiques & Custom's Gas up there & others
    rods gas up there.

Just My 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

7. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

This is true. I had my 461 heads rebuilt with new seats and valves plus any other work they needed and spent $500+ and I also spent a little more for cleanup porting. Yes, I know I could have bought brand new heads, but I wanted real-deal, traditional Chevrolet camel-hump heads on my car. Did I give up power over new heads? Probably, but the engine is a big part of "the look" and have NO regrets. I'm not a teenager any more, so ultimate speed is not #1 at this point in my life.

Darryl Deir likes this.
  8. Dyce

Dyce

There are heads that have a casting number ending in 040 that is just like the 041 heads without the accessory holes. I've only seen one pair and they are on my shelf.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Roger that Dog
    My biggest pet peeve when I see so-called "period" recreations is when the builder uses accessory bolt heads on a 327, stands out like socks on a fish.
    For the most part the type of cars being built around here won't be driven the miles like a daily would so I don't see the concern about beating the seats out of heads due to the lead issue.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Here's something fairly NEW!!! Trick Flow is now reproducing the Double-Hump/Camel-Hump heads.........in ALUMINUM!!!!! Paint them Chevrolet orange, and no one's the wiser. Run higher compression, and they have been improved with larger ports, and other features. Costs???? They come in the "old style" without accessory holes, and the "newer style" with accessory holes. No more rebuilding "junk heads". I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

DDDenny --> Yes, the "no accessory holes" is a big deal and part of the look also --> I've got that handled. :)