Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1939 brake/clutch pedals into a '38

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54BOMB, Mar 22, 2015.

1. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Hi, working on a 1938 Ford here and I'm in the middle of switching over to hydraulic brakes. I'm wondering what the secret is to getting the '39 pedals up in the frame with the body and trans and all that stuff in the way. It should be easier since these mount on the outside of the rail , but before I do a whole lot of extra work , I thought I'd ask.
    Anyone do this before?

2. Before you go to far I would get ahold of Richard Lacy at [email protected], (626) 338-2282. He makes an adapter to use the stock '38 pedals and you should at least consider it.

Charlie Stephens

3. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I'm definitely going with the 39 pedals . Just thought I'd ask If anyone had done this swap and how they wiggled these things in there.

4. Mac VP

Mac VP

I did it in the '39 I was building, with the trans out and the body off.....it was STILL awkward and by the time I got it in place, I couldn't remember which twists and turns came in which order. Sort of like doing a Rubics cube in the dark, with your off hand, after too many beers.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put a set of '39 pedals in a '36 frame (same frame as a '39) and one of the stock holes in the frame has to be cut larger. There's a template to do so - I think I have a copy of it and could send you one or it may be available online.

I did mine on a bare frame - much more difficult I would imagine, with all the running gear installed.
    -Bob

6. Really??? hard to install ??? I've done this many times without any real issues. You make it sound like your trying to install it as a fully assembled unit. If you take it apart like it was ment to be installed the cast mount bracket part just slipps right in the slot. Yes you do need to do a little trimming but just use the casting as a plug and grind a little off till it slips in. There is 1 bolt hole to re drill and with a 90 degree drill motor and a short drill bit it's no big deal, just drill through the bolt hole in the casting. Yes it's just that easy.
    Were you just yanking our chain?
    The Wizzard

7. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Ok that's a relief , I've got the frame trimmed as per the templet with the pedals . It get at again this weekend.

8. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

My thought exactly. I have 39 pedals in my 38...piece of cake. I did it with the car complete, no problem. Do as above disassemble and install piece at a time...
    I took all of the cable crap off of the frame before I painted with POR-15.

9. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Thanks , I think the key is just pop the pin out of the pedal and put it in as two parts . Got it .

10. That would be correct.