Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hot Rods at Amelia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Hot Rods at Amelia

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

tony starr and HEMI32 like this.
  2. frank spittle

frank spittle

I don't understand why the Amelia Island folks didn't promote the hot rods more. It was not on their web page. But it sure turned out nice.

3. I friend of mine attended last year and said it was hands down the best show he had attended in years. HRP

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

at top of 3rd pic is a black 29 on 32 rails with a 4 bar?

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. 2935ford

2935ford

Oh oh, street rods sneaking in! :)

Limey Kid and 3wLarry like this.
  6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I am going next year. I had to sit thru a friend texting me pics of of everything there and I was going crazy only being 5.5 hrs north of Amelia Island. I hope they start doing hot rods and or customs more often.

7. flamingokid

flamingokid

Give them time,they'll fall in love with these cars.

8. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

If only Pinehurst will follow suit!!! They did have a couple of modified "woodies" last year.

9. banjorear

banjorear

Looks great. Thanks. What's the deal with the Edelbrock Special? Love that roadster.

10. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe I am loosing my mind but it looked like there was wood blocks on top of the back axle of the Edlebrock special holding it up?!?!?!?
    Some nice cars though. Thanks for the pics

11. chickenshift

chickenshift

one word.....Beautiful.

12. jroberts

jroberts

Pinehurst had a Willys gasser the year before last. Still I would love them to go further with judged class for hot rods.

13. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Looking at this picture, it would seem there are blocks there too - EDEL.jpg - could be a tooth jarring ride!

14. flamingokid

flamingokid

It takes time,but it will happen..

15. fine job, Jive, remember 20+ yrs back, noone ever thought hot rods would make it up on stage. now they're there and even the traditional folks clapping hands to it.

even it is still a damn hot rod. this is where the circle closes. times are changing, sometimes to the better.

good.

hope my english works, the essence of it all is, that the H.A.M.B.-people think, work and care in a better way.

16. Good catch! I guess it is who you know.:rolleyes:

17. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Who did you end up voting for, and who won the class you judged? Thanks for for the pictures.

18. Great eye! Those are indeed blocks, probably a crude way of 'rigidizing' the rear suspension. I would imagine that those rear Houdaille shocks were adjusted to full stiffness (which would severely limit rebound) and the wood blocks would eliminate compression.

Here's a snippet from the May 1955 issue of Popular Science detailing (among other things) the fixed rear end in Howard Johansen's lakester;

rigid axle.jpg

And a page from the January 1949 Hot Rod spread featuring the Alex Xydias belly tanker (see 4th paragraph for details on suspension)
    xydias.jpg

19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The green channeled '32 looks very much like the car Tex Smith drove out to California when he went to work at HOT ROD.

20. View attachment 2861733 image.jpg Please tell me you got to appreciate my friend Ron's orriginal hotrod and talk to him, he is the genuine article.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  21. Thanks for the write up, and pics.

22. GreenMtnBoy, Ron has brought that coupe to our Groundhog Gala, on several occasions. It IS the real deal.
    Crap...the ONE year I decide to stay home, they have a cool collection of traditional Hot Rods. Nads didn't even tell me. He and the the family drove up. 2nd most important Concours show only 3 hours, from our house.

JT

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Had a fantastic day, wish I woulda met you Jive Bomber. So happy for my friend Ron Stetter, he's a genuine human being, love him.

That Posie's abomination shouldn't have been there, nor that newly constructed deuce with vinyl decal flames.

slammed likes this.
  24. Damn, those are cool pics....