Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1931 Chevrolet 5 Passenger Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazyolman, May 31, 2014.

1. Man oh man what a great thread and project for you and your grandson. Kids spell love " T I M E" and this a story he will be telling his grand kids about his grandpa. Awesome!

2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Love the 5 passenger coupe, glad you are able to do this project with your grandson, make you both so much closer to each other. I was able to spend a lot of time with my grandson when he was younger, racing go-karts and we are very close to this day. subscribed

3. I don't know how I missed this great Chevy build thread but I'm on in now. You guys are doing a great job...Look froward to following your progress!

4. Looking great, keep the updates coming!

5. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Still working on the rear fenders. Now that Travis is back in school we only have a short time on Thursdays to work on the car but it is still progressing. Travis managed to get a little dirty on this part of the job.
    [​IMG]

6. Your doing a great job Travis and at this rate you'll be driving this next spring. I'll bet that will be a lot more fun than what you're doing right now.
    George

7. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

One other thing that has slowed us down a little is the other projects such as the 47 Olds Aerocoupe and the 1957 Corvette we started with an aftermarket frame and body then added parts from a 1988 Corvette. It is getting close to being a driver then will come back apart for paint.

After Market Frame
    [​IMG]

Bare Body We Started With
    [​IMG]

Engine Bay Is Filling Up
    [​IMG]

Ready to Travel to State Patrol Inspection
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

The State Patrol inspection was successful and we now have plates and a proper registration on the Corvette so were able to get insurance on it.
    We finally got the rear fenders for the 31 Chevrolet in the first coat of primer.
    I am amazed at how much Travis has grown while we have been working on this.
    [​IMG]

9. Great project and nice work!:cool:

10. Very cool.
    I'm keen to see this ol Chevy finished, and Travis doing his first burnout. :D

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  11. get him a better mask so he keeps growing.

12. Man he has grown. Also keen to see Travis take his first drive in the 31. All too cool. JW:D:cool::cool:

13. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

I knew we would get some flack about the dust mask but the picture was an after thought and not done while he was actually shooting the paint. We do have the proper equipment but just didn't put it back on for the picture.

We bolted the fenders back on then pushed the car outside where we took a picture that is like the mock-up on my avatar. A lot of work took place between these 2 pictures even if it don't look like it.

[​IMG]
    Travis at 14 March 5th 2015

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. What's the story on the Plymouth hardtop?

15. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

What Plymouth ?

16. Thats looking GREAT!!

17. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

The rear fenders were bolted to the body and we found the side aprons and fuel tank cover needed to be in place to determine the proper location of the fenders. In order to install those items the body needed to be lifted up high enough to clear. We removed all the body bolts and lifted the body then slid the panels in place. We also needed to install the lower trunk finishing panel while the body was lifted so that was sprayed with self- etching primer.

[​IMG]
    Lower Trunk Panel

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  18. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

The rear fenders were installed and removed several times in order to get everything fitted properly. Now they are going back on then the final body work will be completed. The running boards were also cleaned and primed.
    [​IMG]

19. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

We installed the fenders and running boards for what we hope is the final time then the rear section was primed.
    [​IMG]

hendelec and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Please put a proper respirator on that young fella! Especially if that primer is a 2K type (with hardener).

Craig

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Read post #73 :rolleyes:

22. hellerods

hellerods

Great family project, both you guys are lucky and are doing a super job on your project!!

23. indeed......what a cool thread.....'course i'm partial to building pre-war Chevies myself

Hudson31 likes this.
  24. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Time for another update as we have been working on the car as time allows between vacation and other things slowing us down. I have the Corvette running good now and so we can concentrate on the 31.
    We installed the hood and started stripping it then Travis cut the old rusty spare tire wells out of the front fenders using the plazma cutter.
    We bolted the front fenders in place then Travis used the grinder to clean up the edges of the cut out area.
    Once the fenders were solidly mounted we cut out some card board to the shape of the hole then used it as a guide for the plazma cutter to form the patches. We had to hand form the patch a little to match the crown of the fender and now it just needs to be welded in place.
    [​IMG]
    Cutting Out The Spare Tire Wells
    [​IMG]
    Cleaning Up The Cut Area
    [​IMG]
    Travis will be driving on a permit in less than a year so we have to get busy on this project.

25. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Thanks, Travis is really proud of what he has done so far as I noticed his attitude when he was showing a friend what he has done.

Bowtie Coupe and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Crazyolman, I think its great your working with your Grandson on such a neat project. I know how much my Grandson enjoys helping me work on my projects. Its nice to know that at 12 years old he can do things to cars that a lot of adults know nothing about.
    There's a lot worse things kids can be doing then helping their Grandpa work on old cars. Thanks for sharing.

Gary

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how cool is that? my grandfather was a rock collector:cool:

28. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Travis has done a great job welding in the patch panels for the spare tire wells. He had never welded anything before but with a little training from me was able to finish the left fender and most of the right side. We put a skim coat of filler over the repair but it will need some more to make it look right. We also removed as much rust as we could reach but the rest will be done after we pull the fender back off to clean up the bottom.
    [​IMG]

biggeorge, TFoch and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  29. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

We have been working on the body so not much to write about that would not just be as boring as the bodywork. I did get the radiator rebuilt by 112th Street Radiator and they did a fantastic job of changing the outlets and adding a remote filler. They also put a modern core in it so we can run 16 pounds of pressure which will help the cooling.

We decided not to have the rock guard re-chromed and just sand blasted it and painted it red to match the wheels. It would have to be taken completely apart in order to chrome it and the cost was more than we wanted to spend right now.
    upload_2016-4-9_14-7-31.jpeg
    [​IMG]

PBRmeASAP, Bowtie Coupe and biggeorge like this.