Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where old hot rodders retire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Feb 28, 2015.

1. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife & I are eyeing the Bowling Green, KY. area and will most likely relocate there in the next year or two. Super friendly people, Beech Bend track, HRR, an hour from Nashville and oh, yeah, my daughter, son in law & grandkids are there - what's not to like? Good change of seasons with (normally) short & mild Winters, less restrictive gun laws, cheaper taxes, it's a red state and, best of all, it's NOT NYS !!

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  2. East Tennessee for me.
    Originally from Florida,, would not go back. Too hot, too crowded and no scenery unless you're at the beach.
    E TN offers beautiful scenery, four seasons with mild enough winters, mild summers, low humidity, small historical towns, low property taxes, cheap property, and NO state income tax. Lots of car people of every type.
    Do I sound like the C of C?
    It's a great area to retire to!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. sometimes the grass is greener......just at opposite times of the year.

4. We don't get huge quantities of snow here in Central WA but it does get bloody cold and too hot as well. Oregon sounds good 'cept for all them hippies..

Tagman has me dreaming of kentucky now though.

5. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Please don't come to Albuquerque................:rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 and charleyw like this.
  6. I fell in love with it when I came through there many moons ago. I tried to transfer my job there but it didn't work out. A really beautiful place.

7. ..and earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, wildfires, super volcanos. There's something out there for everyone.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. Tucson was nice but I have not been there in years. Hot though, I never seen so many white cars in my life. You wont have to worry about rust but interiors take a beating.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I don't need A/C or a heater, or a bug swatter. Just a people swatter.

tb33anda3rd and Special Ed like this.
  10. Model T1

Model T1

Sure saved me a lot of typing. We moved to NW Florida almost 21 years ago. Very few bugs, one small hurricane that did little, less snakes than central Illinois, friendly people, low taxes, plus all of the above.
    Check out what's called the "Big Bend" or 'Nature coast" just west of Gainesville. We have our own Key, Cedar Key, the only river in the USA that is still 99.99% original and free flowing, more springs than anywhere else, and lots more. Much of the land is Federal and State, the rest still nearly like the real Florida should be.
    Buy five acres in the boonies, beat on metal, weld, paint, cuss, and chase your wife around naked in the front yard.

FAUST and oldcars.acadia like this.
  11. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I live in Lake Travis just outside of Austin Tx is pretty in the hill country

Lake Travis
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425172615.082979.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  12. fuzzface

fuzzface

"how do you just leave your friends and family?
    for giant bugs, big snakes, alligators, scorpions, humidity etc....'

with my friends and family, I would welcome the other wildlife.

Model T1 and Special Ed like this.
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I guess saying that there were no convertibles or motorcycles was a little misleading.
    We do actually see lots of them running around, however in talking to some convertible owners and bikers, I was told that they preferred the cooler months.
    As a motorcyclist myself I was amazed at the number of helmetless riders running around.
    I call them organ donors :D I wore my helmet, heat or not. :D

14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

My wife and I traveled for three years living in a fifth wheel. She finally decided she didn't like it anymore so we bought a house close to both families.
    I liked several spots in Texas, we both liked Tuscon a lot. We also stayed for a while in Mobile Alabama. A good friend moved to Florida last year ,he about stole a house, works part time at a golf course( he gets to golf free that way). He wonders why it took him so long to move.Life is too short to put up with below zero weather.

15. Stay out of Washington... Rains all the time, full of potheads, no scenery to speak of....

I'm channeling Emmett Watson by the way...

16. When I moved from Montana to Arizona I told my buddies I could drive my roadster 360 days a year. they ask why I did not drive the other 5 days and my reply was I was out of town.

17. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to clarify - AC is for the house not the roadster!!

18. I retired here in Hawaii 15 years ago , I drive my hot rods almost everyday . It never gets cold there are no snakes .What is not to like . Having the hot lava 4 miles from the shop just keeps it exciting .

Special Ed likes this.
  19. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Does Ky. tax you annually on each vehicle owned or is it Tenn. I am thinking of?

20. williebill

williebill

I miss joecools old avatar

21. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

All sounds good to me but my wife is a city girl at heart and needs "social" interaction..go figure. Hell I am a city boy that is quite comfortable hunting ,fishing and banging on metal. Not opposed to chasing the wife around naked either and I still run faster then her!

Model T1 likes this.
  22. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

KY. does tax you on vehicles, but it's not real high. When comparing property taxes between the People's Republic of New York, the savings are enormous, even with the vehicle tax considered. My daughter's house in KY. is approximately the same value as my house in New York. She pays approx. $1700.00/year. I pay over $8000.00. No contest.

23. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Sold my Harley because we spent all our time in the 34. So I bought the roadster so I can still feel the fresh air rushing through what little hair I have left. As a side note, my son's buddy is neurosurgeon...sees too many organ donors. No helmet law in Wisconsin. That's the cost of free choice and I have no qualms with that.

24. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Looks like I have lots of options. Buy motor home and drag one of the toys behind. Hell I can fly fish all the way out west in the spring. Hit the LA roadster show, do the dry lakes and cruise the coast up to Washington . Hunt all fall through the western states and get back home in time to leave in early Dec. for our Southern tour. Tarpon and Bass fishing Florida into Texas hitting all the swap meets I can dig up. Work my way through Texas bass fishing and chasing wild pigs. Spend some time in N.M and AZ. then back into southern Calif. Sell the motor home and sail onto Hawaii. Now that would be a trip! Now all I have to figure is to where I get the $$$

25. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

i thought hell was supposed to be hot, is this global warming ?

26. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Taxes are one of the reasons we left NJ. Our R.E. taxes were closing in on $10k when we left. Surprise to us at time of sale of our house there. NJ has another tax on your house when you leave the state...Damn exit tax. Couple thousand$$ as I recall. Talk about being pissed off !!!
    I'll never move back...feel sorry for family and friends there.

27. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Seriously, I am writing all this wonderful insight down. Going to spend hours in front of this computer researching these recommendations. I do appreciate the input and hopefully it is helpful to others.

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

A lot of Southern California hot rodders have moved to Prescott, AZ. Nice town at a higher altitude, so it's not scorching desert Arizona.

29. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Does the wind ever stop blowing in Kingman?

30. Only when it changes direction. also we do not do daylight savings.