Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tail lights for a Hot Rod Model A Coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Feb 7, 2015.

1. 5window

5window

I'm still thinking about back end changes for my chopped '31 coupe. I've seen lots of '50 Pontiac and '42 Ford taillights. What else do you guys think looks good? Photos would help. LED's are OUT and I'm not sure if blue dots are legal in PA, but I don't think so. I'm going to need backup lights, too. Thanks for the help.

2. bone31

bone31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from oregon

curtiss p-40 ww2 fighter IMG_0875.JPG

kiwijeff and patmanta like this.
  3. Might help if we knew what you have for tailights now. My personal favorites are '39 teardrops, but some folks feel like they're overdone.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. gatz

gatz

I've mentioned this before on the same topic/question; but this would only apply if you leave the fenders on.

My brother had a Model A as a school car in the late 50's.
    And. there was a Dodge Wayfarer that had been robbed of its engine for the REO farm truck we had.

The tail-lights from that Dodge fit the curvature of the rear fenders like they were made for it.
    Don't have any pics of the vehicle, but if you google 41 Dodge, you'll see what I mean.

Here's one...
    http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/IMG_1083.jpg

5. aaggie

aaggie

Full fenders give a lot more options. Do you really need back up lights?

6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I like the the 39 rear lights too, but this is another option too:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423326222.190875.jpg
    1955-59 rear lights of a VW Bug. They got a reflector/cat eye in the glass, runs dual function in the bulb 12v 21/5w.
    I've heard they are reproduced with LED.
    But they look good.

If you need a back up light, I can't come up with one that would look good. But the closest thing to good an vintage would be a search/work light from a vintage tractor.
    Mounted upside down under the frame, but can't be too big, and will not look right.
    Sorry, but that's the best I can come up with.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. I was under the impression that you had settled on Pontiac tail lights. HRP

8. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I always thought 64 Dodge taillights would look good in the panel under the trunk lid. They are square like the Model A body and should be close to a good fit. If not they could be frenched in. I have a set and previously had some others installed in my 79 Chevy stepside pickup.

9. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Here is a pair that's for sale on eBay just so you can see which ones I'm talking about .....

$_57.jpeg

10. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I forgot to mention that they also had a clear lens that could be used as back up lights ....

$_12.jpeg

11. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I like 41 Chev tail lights on fender less Model A coupes and roadsters in the rear pan below trunk lid. No pics sorry.

12. How about these? '42-48 Ford . HRP

[​IMG]

13. Tony

Tony

These are the much used 50 Pontiac's...with a slight twist.
    I modified a pair of 61 Impala lenses to fit into the Pontiac housing.
    Different, but the same.

Tony image.jpg

pat59, falcongeorge, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  14. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Nothing like the real thing.

Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 6.31.44 PM.png

15. Just a few 1950 Buick, Hudson or Airflow..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

'41 - '48 Chevy
    [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd and volvobrynk like this.
  17. What had to be done to the 61 lenses? I like the look and might have to steal the idea...

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

The Hudson taillights would definitely set you apart from the crowd, very sharp.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Buick Tail Lights

Attached Files:

20. I like those Hudson tailights and the Airflow ones are cool, but if you can even find them I'm sure you would pay a pretty price to own them.

i.rant likes this.
  21. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Here Is a tudor with the VW Bug Oval window taillights that volvobrynk was talking about. Not traditional but it looks great on this car. Not sure how they would suit a coupe. It will give you an idea anyways.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. 5window

5window

Thanks to all. Right now, the car has a cut down, inverted set of late 80's TransAM tailights set as a roll pan and made to operate sequentially. Definitely 80's when they were put on the car by some previous owner, kind of cool when they work and definitely embarrassing to put up photos. If I can find one not so ugly, I'll try to get it into a thread. Update-here's one from before it was painted-with the tail lights-but not with the license plate which is centered in the panel under the deck lid. The car is now '28 Ford green with black fenders-much better.- In progress picture shows the green.

The car's running full rear '32 fenders and a modified pushbar/bumper I had an Amish welder make for me-he was a little confused as to the application, but did a great job.

HRP-I think I want 50 Pontiacs, but it's a bit overdone by now and maybe I only want them because I don't know what else is out there. If/when I would make the change, I'd get one of
    Metaltwisters" rear roll pans to fill things out. They look really good.

AAGGIE, I believe backup lights are required here in PA, but I can't quite find the statute.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  23. Tony

Tony

PBR, not much.
    Reduce the dia of the outer area so that it fit snugly in the bezel, and also trim some thickness from that same area so that the bezel and base could still screw together with the gasket installed.

Tony

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    5window likes this.
  24. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would be very surprised if back up lights are mandatory. Although everywhere is different, In B.C., If it wasnt a factory option then it is not required. That goes for back up lights, seat belts, wipers, turn signals, hazards and so on.
    If your state has any kind of Motor vehicle inspection centers, drop by and ask someone there, I am sure they will help you. If you dont have to take your vehicle through any kind of inspection for insurance or registration, then, "Sorry Officer, I didnt know that" :)

25. Is your 31 being registered as a 31, or a special build ? If registered as a 31, only 1 tail light should be required. Any more than that would be considered additional safety equipment. A big plus when registering.

26. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

27. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

48 chevy tail lights on 1931 A roadster.

Attached Files:

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The thing about any tail light you put on a rig is that it should look like it belonged there in the first place and wasn't added as an after thought or used because you got it cheap or free. Older guys can well remember those 65/66 Mustang taillights that got stuck on everything in the early 70's with no thought except they were cheap and easy to get at the time.
    48 Ford, 49/50 Ford, 48 Chevy, stock A or 32 all look good.
    If back up lights are required or needed they could be tucked away where they aren't too noticeable unless they are on and maybe a pair of small motorcycle running lights tucked under the body would work. After a cop who is young enough that he doesn't have to shave but once a week ragged on me in a private parking lot that my back up lights didn't work when he almost ran over me in the parking lot I guess the younger ones think that you are only backing up if your backup lights are on and don't have to watch for your vehicle to be moving.

38fordpickup and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. mooneyes has some lincoln taillights that look nice.
    -Pat