Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I need to know about clear plastics for transmission hump.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jan 1, 2015.

1. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Maybe you can get some ideals from this

2. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It costs a little bit more but they do make a non-yellowing clear polycarbonate (Lexan).

3. Polycarbonate is the type of plastic used in the modern headlights that become foggy and yellowed.
    Plexiglass (Acrylic) is much easier to heat form than lexan (Polycarbonate) because of the bubbling in PC.
    Triumph TR-4s came from the factory with a cardboard trans tunnel/cover, so if I were the original poster I wouldn't worry about the exploding trans too much.

4. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

If you are using flat sheets and want strength, use the 1/2" acrylic they use in hockey rinks. Stands up to being struck by a frozen puck with a 100 mph slapshot. Clear plastics can be sanded and polished back to clear if required. Think headlight restoration kits as an example. Another thought is to use tear off sheets like Nascar windshields.

5. Ahhahh - tear off sheets.

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:) If you want easily replaceable flat sheets,take a look at the cockpit canopy of an ME 109.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

7. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you have it in the sketch. Make the radius bend out of sheet metal and screw the lexan flats to them.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Making two bends should not be difficult. You probably want to make the flanges shown on the lower edges as part of the floor, not the hump.

Just like learning to work metal, you need to play with plastic and see how it behaves.

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here is a practice part I made before I made the tail light lense for the dream rod I used a heat tape for this and it worked beautifully ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420140655.858246.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420140671.941168.jpg
    The last pic is the part number on the heat tape, these things are fool proof

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. elgringo71

elgringo71

Do an internet search for Iron Orchid, hot rod magazine. There is a picture of it in the feature. It's a 34 Ford coupe 60s style show car. He did it using blue plexiglass.

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If you want a window, build a removable sheet metal frame and use lexan or even safety glass installed with windshield adhesive or use a rubber gasket like older car windows.

If you want to get real fancy, check into used aircraft parts for a canopy that you could modify to fit.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. pitman

pitman

We use to make up plexi-Acrylic, then later on, Lexan hoods.
    The Lexan was softer (and tougher) and not as brittle as Acrylic.
    Thinking over the properties, I'd consider a curved piece
    of tempered glass, mounted in a rubber/gasket-like frame, which absorbs
    the stresses. Safety still a concern, as it could "popcorn!"

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  13. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

I use UV stabilised polycarbonate, which is pricier than acrylic but way stronger. Bends OK with a heat gun but take care, pays to have spare material to practise with.
    Love your work BTW Moriarty. Futurian inspired the paintjob I did on my C cab.

Moriarity likes this.
  14. Howz about something like this plane canopy? Use all flat segments, and have a simple frame work to hold them image.jpg

15. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Like 59 chevy windshield corners

16. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

"Wrap" a metal trans cover with a life-size picture of what's under it.

stealthcruiser and turboroadster like this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

Windshields are laminated, not tempered.

18. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I can't add anything technical to this thread but I think it is a great idea. Good Luck, I'd like to see how it turns out.

19. Little different.
    No hump cover at all but a glass cover on a top loader manual Trans.

image.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. stimpy

stimpy

give these guys a call http://www.proglasswindows.com/ the make race car windsheilds and they hold up to blower explosions , they possibly can bend it for you too and reccomend the proper thickness , as a auto trans if it lets loose packs alot of energy from the stuff spinning around in it .we have had parts ( baskets , plates , planetarys) come thru steel floors and partailly come thru balistic wraps which are designed to contain them . the hardened aluminum sheild on my car is 3/8 thick .

( only th400 failures I have seen was down shifting at the end of a run with manual valve body ( sprag failed ) or the bellhousing broke off ( common problem, look for cracks near the pass side where it joins the pump housing ,

21. squirrel

squirrel

I kinda doubt it'll be running tens....

22. stimpy

stimpy

10s or not if it were to come apart it ill be nasty . all it takes is one burnout showing off to pop the trans if it has a weak link . I seen transes break apart on the street and not race ones either . its rare but it does happen .

23. Well how fast do you think it will go?

Ill tell you one thing for sure, if something happened and messed up her toes there'd be hell to pay. :)

24. stimpy

stimpy

one way to think how bad it can be is play frisbee with a set of the driven tranny plates with the tabs , you have to be the catcher the first time .. :eek:o_O

as for the toes . ask my buddie about that . lost all his toes and half of his foot when his th350 broke the ring gear . and he wasn't racing he was driving to work at 50 mph .

25. stimpy

stimpy

I didn't think this was going to to be a putt putt GC cruiser

26. CruZer

CruZer

While I like the idea, my 36 years of experience with GE Plastics Lexan tells me this won't work unless this a show car only.
    No clear plastic,polycarbonate (Lexan) or acrylic or any other will hold up to what you are asking it to do.
    1. Forming that tunnel will be difficult unless you use the thinnest material.
    2. They are not chemical, scratch or impact resistant to the extent you are asking.
    3. Cleaning it will not be easy or successful over time.

That being said, if you can make a wood form and form a clear plastic over it,then make a bunch of them and change it out when it gets too dirty / scratched.

27. elgringo71

elgringo71

I guess the memory ain't what it used to be but the picture is still good for inspiration.

28. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

Wouldn't just be easier to run the floor pans under the transmission? Make leather boots for each end to transition the floors back up over the driveshaft and engine.

In terms of risk management, driving on roads with other drivers who are instagramming their food while smoking and yelling at their kids is about 100,000,000,000 times riskier than the possibility of a transmission explosion. I wouldn't spend much time worrying about that.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

We used to form Lexan 1/4" with a press brake, the bends would maintain about 80 degree bends, to form guards for machinery.

30. noboD

noboD

We form lexan all the time for machine guards, 1/4 or 3/8 can be bent in a brake cold. Just form two 45 degree bends about one inch apart for a 90. As has been said it must be overbent because it has a memory and wants to resist being bent. I have also shot full metal jacket .45acp slugs into one inch thick lexan. Didn't come out the other side.