Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost my house in a fire, could use some positive vibes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RustyRedRam, Dec 28, 2014.

1. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Life usually gets in the way of extracurricular activities, like surfing the JJ/HAMB, so most of y'all probably don't know who I am. So I lost my home to a fire yesterday, and while it's looking like the house is a total loss, the garage is okay :) I'll pull a picture when I can, but Gene (Dodge4x4) metal sculptures and fiddyfour's glass etched HAMB mirror (a HAMB fundraiser years ago) survived. The books, art, and other pieces in the house are just things, I'm glad my roommate and I weren't there and survived.

2. Sorry to hear of the fire,I'm not going to say I know how you feel but I can say I've been there and know some of the emotions.

It's hard to see everything you have go up in a blaze but your right,it's just things and life will go on.

There were no lives lost,everything else is secondary. HRP

3. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Wow! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully insurance takes care of you well. It's one of my worst fears ever. Someone was looking out for you and your roommate since you were not hurt...that's what's most important. On the bright side when you/they rebuild for you all the housework/honeydo list shouldn't be hanging over your head and you can concentrate on yourself and cars again. Again sorry for your loss

4. Glad to hear no one was hurt. Also glad to see you could find a way to add a smiley in your post.
    I don't know how you feel, but wish the best for you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Prayers go out to you.I am just glad no one was hurt.Bruce.

wingnutz likes this.
  6. Sgt. John

Sgt. John
    from Virginia

Glory to God . You and you friend are safe. Material things can always be replaced

7. mopacltd

mopacltd

My wife and I went through the Yarnell Hill fire last year. The feeling of complete loss is enormous! Staying positive is what got us through it. I will say that unless you can handle seeing your stuff in ruins have someone else do the clean up. I spend weeks in or almost in tears when I cleared the property.

8. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Hang in there, you can get more stuff. The good thing is everybody is alright. It does hurt to lose some of the personal stuff thats irreplacable. Check out postings from Tucks rising from the ashes for inspiration. He's rebounded in a big way from the loss.

9. I feel your loss as this happened to me back in 1970...difference being that my wife and three kids and of course me,were sleeping at the time,,my next door neighbor got up at 5;30 am to feed his horses and came over and woke us.,we lived five miles from the fire station and it seemded like hours before they arrive on scene,,Thankfully my neighbor took my wife and children to his house for safety and some warmth,,not much fun standing in nightwear watching your home in flames,,God bless you in the coming days...You will also find some friends you did not know existed.. prayers sent to you..

10. robber

robber

Faith, family and friends will carry you through... everything else is just stuff. You did the right thing by asking for positive vibes from your HAMB family, and all our thoughts and prayers are with you. It sounds like you have a great attitude and outlook. It is a blessing that you and your roommate were not caught up in the inferno! Maintain that positive outlook and know that this too will pass :)

wingnutz likes this.
  11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Matt!!!!!….hope you are ok?

12. Sorry to hear this, Matt. I'm glad that you're OK. Hang tough, man.

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Listen to the people who have gone through the same experience as you. The rest of us have no idea what your going through but we hate that you're having to do it. I learned this lesson as people tried to console me when my daughter suddenly passed.

14. Sorry to hear of your loss! Seems like this time of year we see a lot of house fires. Not all are so lucky to survive.
    I am glad to hear you and your roommate our ok. And the garage as well. God Bless!

15. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

As a retired Firefighter I can understand how overwhelmed you are. After we knocked down the fire, I often looked around at the devastation that was caused and it brings tears to your eyes, and I did this every day. The only thing you can say to people, is that if no one was killed or hurt, be thankful for that. I know that many possessions can't be replaced but you are more important than "stuff". I hope everything works out for you.

16. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.
    This tragedy will bring new positive experiences, and memories.
    Thankfully you and your roommate were not hurt.
    My family's prayers are with you.

17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Very sorry to hear about your house . Like others have said , at least noone was hurt or killed . The rest of the stuff , as much as it sucks to lose possessions , they are just that , possessions . Family pics & heairlooms are the toughest to lose , no doubt - they can't be replaced . Hopefully you didn't lose too much of that kinda stuff . My wife's parents lost their old house to a fire about 20 years go (damn , is it that long ago - I'm gettin' old , lol) - it was a total loss . They did manage to save a few old things from the rubble , like their 200+ year-old dutch cupboard , which miraculously survived & didn't fall into the basement like everything else . It's now lightly restored & has more "character" from the fire & is being used in their new house . Unfortunately , they lost 2 dogs in the fire , which sucked really bad . We ended up taking a kitten that was born in the rubble right after the fire - he smelled like smoke , so we named him ... yup , Smokey . We lost him a couple years ago , just short of 20 years old . He gave us many years of happiness , and had it not been for the fire , he would've just been another farm cat , and we wouldn't have taken him & he would've most likely only lived a couple years before being hit by a car , killed by another animal or whatever . See - there's always a positive to find in something :) .

I hope you're treated well by the insurance company & can rebuild & get on with life . Good luck .

18. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I was just talking about this to my wife yesterday . When I was 9 I lost everything in a house fire . Did I say everything?? That's not right because my Mom, Dad and Brother all made it out ok. So in the end we really lost nothing of real value.
    Keep your chin up and count your blessings because this too shall pass !!

19. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

Sorry for your loss, glad there were no injuries...we all become attached to 'stuff' and hate to have any of it destroyed by fire. If you're like most car guys I know, the truly important stuff was in that garage and it will be there that you find a small amount of comfort. Chin up and don't ever be afraid to ask any of your friends for support or help in any way...reach out, you'll find that most people will lend a hand. STAY IN TOUCH, we DO care.

20. Stay positive and remember that it will be ok. After the sucky part is over it will be ok and sometimes even better.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Amen

22. 3 years ago my detached garage caught fire. This was like a second home for me as I spent 4 years building my 51' in it. Heated, air conditioned and set up for painting cars (fairly good size 4 stall) My pickup started on fire while it was setting in the driveway the flames went into the vents of the eves and started the attic on fire first. Ended up burning half my garage up. My 51' was parked in there for the winter, this happened in December. I lost almost everything in the attic as I had stored car parts up there. The half that caught fire was the part where the 51' was parked. Someone was watching over it because not one scratch was on it! The first thing the firemen did was throw a heavy tarp over it to protect it knowing it meant a lot to me. I had to wet sand and buff part of the car due to the water raining down on the car from the attic, it etched into the paint. There was water in the attic level with the rafters, at least 8", drywall on the ceiling was sagging down due to the water. After the fire dept put out the fire I punched holes in the ceiling to drain the water. Weird thing was the inside of the car never smelled like smoke, most of the interior is solid white leather. The garage smelled of smoke months after it was rebuilt and painted. The insurance co investigated the cause of the fire and figured cause was electrical somewhere in the motor compartment of the truck. I had just left the shop and got home, grabbed something to eat and went in the shower. When I got out I noticed an orange glare through the kitchen window blinds. I walked outside to find my truck and garage burning. Called the fire dept they showed up in about 2 minutes (seemed like hours) It was winter so I had my garden hoses put away for the season. I stood there and watched my truck and garage burn waiting for the fire dept to show up. My heart sank and I was thanking god no one was in there at the time. My wifes car could have burnt up along with my house if the garage was attached. Next day I cleaned up as much as I could started the 51' up and stored it at another garage over the rest of the winter until the garage got rebuilt. Man did I get looks driving down the roads with silt and crap all over it in the middle of December! I kept my head up and pulled through. It's a scary thing to go through. As long as no one hurt, objects can be replaced lives can't! Couple days after I went to the fire dept to again thank the guys for saving what they could. I hope no one has to ever go through a fire.

23. Been there done that. We lost a house to a fire a little over twenty two years ago. Not a pennys insurance. its was to us near comparable to a death in the family. things like the guns that where passed down pictures ect. its was pretty rough. however we soon learned there are much worse things. About a year later our 17 year old son died in a car crash. That's a big deal. A home burning heck that is a little thing.

24. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Sorry for your loss just make it to the next day be thankful you and yours are ok .

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear about the loss of y0ur house and most of the contents but I sure am glad that neither of you were injured in the fire.

26. Hey RustyRedRam,

Sorry to learn of your loss.
    I know how you must feel. I've been there.

Lost our office and family business (a second home to us) in 2001. Two story building located downtown in the historic district of our little town. Built in 1895 and in the family since 1947 - it was a total loss. Fire started late at night in the Chinese restaurant (ya can't make this stuff up!) next door. Lost lots of family stuff, photos and etc. Broke my dads heart - he was 82 at the time. No one was lost but it still hurts to this day...

Ya just be strong and keep ongoing. Best of luck to you and the family.

27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Sorry for your loss, My wife and I lost a house that was intended to be our retirement home 13 years ago, our daughter and grandson were living in it at the time and luckily they were OK,. That weekend was kind of a double whammy, the previous day I got the diagnosis of cancer, so we cut our losses and sold the house and concentrated on the other issues in our lives and fortunately was able to beat that. Moral of the story is, life hands you challenges and you have to make the best of them, sometimes it is hard to do, but keep faith and you can persevere.

28. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

High Park fire got my stuff in 2012, get an atty. and public adjustor.

29. belair

belair

Glad you are ok.

30. As someone how has experienced what you are going thru I send my condolences. As you stated "Things" can be sorta replaced. Glad everyone got out safe!