Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Does The General Public Hate Old Cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert J. Palmer, Dec 27, 2014.

?

Do people hate old cars?

Poll closed Feb 27, 2015.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. Or just don't undersand

48 vote(s)
    43.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

For the most part all I get are thumbs up. I think some people do not like the loud exhaust on my coupe. For the most part I think the general public just does not care. They have no idea of the value, effort, and or care that goes into these vehicles. People guessing what make and year your car is has it's funny moments, but let them guess what it cost to build or replace! General public I feel has no idea what kind of history, and monetary value some of these cars have. A car is just a form of transportation to most.

[​IMG]
    The F100 in this pic is and has been my dad's daily driver for the past 33 years. He has always gotten positive reactions.
    The 32 Henry coupe I bought as seen in the pic. I get a lot of looks, thumbs up, etc. It's very loud so it gets mixed looks fom the people who are trying to talk on their phone in traffic. A lot of people generally younger want me to "do a burn out!" "nail it!" Number one question I hear "what year is it?"
    My all 65 corvair dune buggy. I have had this for 19 years now. Of all the cars I've ever had the general public/ non car people like it the most.
    The coupe and buggy can be spotted by kids a mile away.

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I personally have found that while driving my old interesting cars , that most people around here will take notice of the car , because it's not "vanilla" . That's not saying that they like it or hate it - they just generally "notice" it . That being said , not everyone will notice it or want to converse about it while pumping gas or whatever - but those are usually the people who don't notice ANY car while they're driving , whether they're texting , yappin' on their phone , or just driving in a coma . Some people just don't "get it" , plain & simple . They view cars as people movers & don't understand why you'd want a bigger engine , different wheels , cool color or whatever . If you're in their way ... look out !

willbe likes this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

"" Like my best friend always said "everybody's normal till you get to know them" . ""

Gees, ain't that the truth..

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I GOTTA say it!!! "Nice dune buggy!"

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Did I just read that on the HAMB ?? LOL !!

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally agree with you.

7. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

8. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

Thanks!
    LOL! I was reluctant to post the buggy here. I didn't want to get in trouble. Now I seem to have gotten Tubman involved!

It's got Cal Custom regulator and horn relay covers, finned valve covers, headers, Appliance mags...those are kinda H.A.M.B friendly parts.:p

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Some people do seem like they don't even notice my roadster (31A, sbc, fenderless, with roadster headers and loud pipes), some give thumbs up, and some seem antagonized by it. Lots of young people want me to "stand on it", but my memories of the old days and cop's reactions to hot rods usually dampen my response to that request.
    I'm 77 and many of my old high school classmates and I have dinner together about once a month. Most of the guys and some of the gals like it and some of the gals say "It's too loud.".
    Back inna day I would have a truck load of loud exhaust tickets by now, but today's cops seem to have more important things to be worried about, smile and wave. I do try to drive in a more or less civilized manner in town, though.
    The ones who seem antagonized are the ones mentioned here on this thread who tailgate, pass you and cut you off, etc., and I try to ignore it.
    Much of my driving when I go to club functions involve driving on Atlanta X-ways, as I'm on the extreme South side, and most of my club functions are on the North side of Atlanta Metro. To take back roads means detouring out to 35-40 miles outside Atlanta center and isn't really feasible, so I do go thu on those 8 lane, 80mph Xways. It's a nerve wracking experience. People ride along gawking at the hot rod and never realize that they are getting too close and are drifting over on me while gawking.
    The antagonistic ones I try to get away from, by slowing down or whatever way I can. I hope I never have to use it, but GA is a state with strong 2nd Amendment right laws, I have a CCWP, and I do carry on my hip when driving the roadster.

willbe likes this.
  10. This is a very good point. My local code enforcement officer gave me a summons for his words on my 53 "A junk unregistered car" this spring.
    I was in the process of changing the car to open drive. I had to do it outside due to a lack of work space, the rear was out of the car on stands (2 weeks of after work and weekends) however the plates and insurance where never off the car. No tickets or fines but it was a pain in the ass.

11. 117harv

117harv

HAMB members calling other drivers, ass hats, a-holes, idiots and now talk about possible gun use on aggressive drivers?...really...Were better than this.

12. I agree, I think talk of gun violence is way over the line... However lets not turn this into a 2nd Amendment issue.
    -Thank-You
    -Robert J. Palmer

13. mike bowling

mike bowling

Old people and kids like my cars; who cares about the rest of them! Only "Guns" allowed are the ones in fluffy sweaters, and I love howitzers!

Truck64 likes this.
  14. Jumping Jack Flash

Jumping Jack Flash

I'd have to say no.We do encounter a few Prius drivers who are greener than thou, but for the most part I've gotten thumbs up on my rides. I drug home another Ranchero a while back and a guy on a motorcycle pulled up alongside my trailer and checked it out for 2 miles. He finally roared off and gave me the thumbs up and an ok sign.Some people get it, some don't. Most just don't have what we take for granted, and that's a mechanical understanding, and appreciation of how the good old day's cars were put together , and the old 57 Ranchero still can get a look or two. A lot of people love them, but aren't up to the work or expense involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.