Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 409 powered 1960 Corvair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NASTY 1, Aug 6, 2011.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

The long radiator hoses/tubes to the front should help keep her cool along with the rad and a electric fan doing what its suppose to do.

2. gonmad

gonmad

Anxiously waiting.......!! LoL!

Posted from the throne room using the Wicked kustom H.A.M.B. App!

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yeah, well, like my biker buddies are fond of saying, "Chrome don't get ya home". I respect your perseverance in putting this project together. Cool factor is thru the roof.

NASTY 1 likes this.
  4. NASTY 1

NASTY 1

More pics of my homemade exhaust system ,its pretty short system :) ! likely pretty LOUD too! :) I need to finish weld and coat them. Startup is soon I hope

Attached Files:

5. RamJet1

RamJet1

Awesome work, glad to see your progress!

NASTY 1 likes this.
  6. NASTY 1

NASTY 1

Another rear photo before the lower aluminum grille is installed 100_4245.JPG

Greenblade and koolkemp like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was thinking that this is going to sound really mean when you fire it up, but then again, I will probably hear it.

Ned Ludd and NASTY 1 like this.
  8. NASTY 1

NASTY 1

Starting to hook up all the plumbing 100_4247.JPG 100_4248.JPG

9. CGkidd

CGkidd

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is crazy, weird and Awesome.

If/when you blow up that trans axle, I would consider the vw bang-bus-box.
    My daddy used to wrench for a guy who raced Formula Ford.
    A class of open wheels racers running pinto engines, but the ran the box fron a vw bus, with english gear kit in it.
    They just ordered for what motor and send a core over.
    Then they got it race ready, only needing oil and it came with a long first 3 full set of gears. That is 3 time 4 gears, that could/should be swapped for each race.

So they raced then pretty hard and ran all type of gear, for any kind of track. It should be possible to make something homegrown work, just the same.

But such a vol build, i always loved the 409! Awesome Mill.
    My only hot rod Magazine has a feature on the Mighty fine, 409..

11. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i just gotta say you are a brave soul!

12. Both You and Ralph Nader will hear it .

Ned Ludd likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, if you're gonna be unsafe at any speed, go all-out!

14. NASTY 1

NASTY 1

I started the 409 about 2 days ago for the breakin process,(I didn't drive it yet) I had a few problems with ignition and carburetor to sort out :( Its loud but luckily not crazy loud like I thought it might be LOL. I think I still have some air in the cooling system , but I should be able to fix this stuff soon. Thanks for all you support and comments :)

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

A first test run/drive vid or pics would be awesome when you get er sorted out.

I have seen in rad hose Ts that has a cap on it for filling, maybe one of those up front and then the one on the rad in the back to help get the air out?

Not really sure how you are doing the plumbing either but the thermostat housing would also be a cool place for a custom one that would accept a cap or at least use a factory type one that has a threaded hole in it that you could use for a bleeder or fill point.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  16. cmarcus

cmarcus

Love it. S has been said, you sir, are crazy, in the best and most complimentary sense of the term :)

Can't wait to see/hear it run. Although I am sure most of the video will be the car lost in tire smoke :p

17. Neat neat neat! Can't wait to see the maiden voyage ride.
    -Pat

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Or when you pop it's cherry, and do the long over-do Christianing video of it doing a burn out. :D :D B-)

19. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You Are Crazy My Man....Perfect!
    Can't wait to see it run!

20. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Daaaaamn, how did I miss this ? That sir is exactly what hot rodding is all about! X10 on start/ run video, can't wait

21. It's been over a month , I'm turning blue already

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Incredible, to say the least!

23. raven

raven

Man, I believe that I would re-think the hoses running through the mounts. A little road vibration and those will rub through. Maybe make a fitting that goes through the mount and then just cut the hoses to mount on the fitting on each side of the mount.
    Can't wait to see the outcome of this.
    r

24. RamJet1

RamJet1

Any news? I love this build.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. NASTY 1

NASTY 1

Sorry for lack of update posts, been busy getting cars into storage for the winter ,etc, etc. I had to drain the water out of the cooling system and install antifreeze for the winter storage. I 've been doing a lot of small jobs, backup lights,oil pressure light, shifter, parking brake, and more interior work. .There's snow on the ground now so the test drive and maybe a video will have to wait until spring. :(

26. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

That belt looks green in the photos. I hope it's not a small engine, fractional horsepower belt. If it has a number like 3Lxxx, you need to get it off there before you do any serious driving. Those types of belts are made for lawn mowers and such and it will shred those hoses when it comes flying off.

Fractional horsepower belts look like regular automotive belts but they are totally different internally and won't take any kind of RPM. That is why most manufacturers color them green, so they won't get confused.

If it's just the photo making it look green, sorry for the interruption and carry on with your insanity! :D

27. Wow. Is this gonna be like a Porche - If you lift expect the rear end to overtake you :D

28. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

COME ON SPRING!!! I WANT TO SEE A VIDEO OF THE FIRST BURNOUT... Have fun finishing it up over the winter.

29. NASTY 1

NASTY 1

Your correct ,thank you ....there green, I will be replacing them after I get things dialed in.

30. Zerk

Zerk

Thank goodness you flagged that potentially dangerous parts choice:eek::D