Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. I took this photo of Nick Cirino's roadster at the March meet in 1960.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  2. Cool shot Dean. Some of my pics are floating around on the web too.
    Weird huh. At first I didn't like it, but now I figure what the Hell!
    Great stuff.

3. [​IMG]

Gary Coe's C/A Mustang, replacing his famous 57 Ford altered.

4. rfraze

rfraze

Thanks for all the pics Gary. Don't remember this one, but I am sure it was Wayne Calvert from Denton, Texas. There is a good chance that the shop is still open.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  5. Right you are! AND...they have a web site.
    Google is your friend!

6. Any chance you (or someone else) has a larger picture of this?

7. 296ardun

296ardun

Cimino & Groves...if you hung out at San Gabriel in the really early '60s, you probably remember this roadster, homemade blower manifold for the Olds, and port injection fitted on top of the blower. Loud and fast, over 140 for a gas roadster wasn't bad in its day...spent most of its time in primer, they finally painted it green and chromed it for the Smoker's meet....not sure about the top hat...

8. 296ardun

296ardun

There is one on George Klass's collection, about half way down the diggers set

9. OK SoCal experts, I'm watchin Adam 12, the "Who won" drag episode. Anybody know whose 54 (?) Ford was Reed's? It says "Canyon" on the door with the rest taped over. Filmed at Lions when they ran AHRA. Just curious ( I know it's a long shot" ) if anybody knows!
    [​IMG]

PS! Found this! But I still don't know whose car it was! Posted by "Nitro Girl"

"Well, this is a blast from the past. When I saw this on Bobby's site, I had to watch it. I was there when this was filmed. The white 54 Ford was my step dad's bracket car. The Camaro belonged to Valley Head Service Owner, Larry Ofria. (as you can see the stickers on both cars) The black cat on the side of the ford was for my mom who was nick named "Kitty". When you see the Canyon on the car, my mom was the President of the car club Canyon Ford but they had to take off Ford for obvious reasons.

The car did run well in the 1/4 mile that day, and well, I already knew who won, I was in the stands. Got outta school for 2 days for the filming at Lion's Drag Strip. Yep, that's the now fabled Big Cat Track down in Long Beach.

The guy, Fat Charlie was the actual character "Big Willy" out of Terminal Island and there was a big push to get the street racers off the street and out to the track.

The Camaro really did break at the starting line, I can't remember what he broke, but the script was such that McCord was supposed to win, but not that way. This was AHRA Sanctioned and before my parents switched to Super Stock and ran NHRA, this car was B-Modified Production. (As I kid, I always thought the wheels were much cooler, what a suprise that was to see LOL!!)

My step dad actually had to drive the car. When they tried to get Kent McCord to sit in the car so he could drive it, it was pretty loud and he didn't feel too safe. Larry was driving his car too. So it was just like a regular day of racing for us, Ford Vs Chevy and we raced each other all the time, either OCIR, San Fernando, Lions or Irwindale until my mom started working for Wally at NHRA in Toluca Lake."

??????

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  10. 296ardun

296ardun

I was there too, remember the roadster at the meet and saw it again at the Castaic Junction gas station on the way back...didn't recognize it at first because usually it was in primer...these guys really fixed it up for the Smoker's meet...(and, yeah, it was "Cirino," not "Cimino," as I had it).

11. They used the money they got from Jim Steele for lettering his Durfee Auto on the car. I asked Nick many years later why the port injection on the blower. He said "because it's what we had from the unblown engine and didn't have money for a two holer." Pretty much the general MO for the low buck guys back in the day.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  12. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

This car later becomes the Chicken Hawk.

loudbang likes this.
  13. The Chicken Hawk was totaled last year. Nice pic of it there before it was named

loudbang likes this.
  14. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Thanks, Gary, glad you enjoyed it. Your collection has livened up this thread. I have another of B & M that I shot at Bristol that year. I'll look for it to put up.

I too have my photos all over the net, mostly from being "borrowed" from the HAMB and it doesn't really bother me either, although I did start putting my name on all I have posted after that.

Is that Rod Stuckey's car on post # 37803 (or possibly the car he built for the Greek?). Looks like the same car in 37800, too.

16. Crazy Grandpa

Crazy Grandpa
    from Ohio