Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 37 banjo rear

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indomwe, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between a 37 banjo rear and 39-40 banjo. I have found a 37 rear for a build but not sure if I should keep looking. Plan to use a 39 toploader and 59 AB motor as well. Any input appreciated

2. Andy

Andy

Others know for sure but I believe the 37 has the 10 spline pinion but it would then have the hollow driveshaft that is used for headers. It would have come with the wide 5 wheels and mechanical brakes. The 39 -40 rears would have the 6 spline pinion and hydraulic brakes. The replacement gears ,if you want to change, would be 6 spline. The widths and strengths are the same. The spring mounting is the same.

indomwe likes this.
  3. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I'd like to know also. I picked up what is supposed to be a '37(it was cheap) with a spring, radius rods and drums only. The drums are not wide 5's and I thought they should be.

4. mlagusis

mlagusis

5. daleeric

daleeric
    from Omak

37 is wide five and six spline on banjo. mechanical brakes, but can be changed to later style

6. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Whatever I have, has 10 spline.

7. 117harv

117harv

scan0003.jpg Here is correct info. You can't always go by the drum/bolt pattern as they get swapped alot of the time.

indomwe likes this.
  8. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Harv
    That article is helpful. Looks like I've got a 37-38 with 3.78 gears

Hope it helps the original poster too
    Dean

indomwe likes this.
  9. Thanks heaps for the info guys, I got what I needed.

10. Now I am truly conflicted, I'm embarking on an AV8 build, I have 59ab and 39 toploader already. Questions I have: 1) what rear end should I really use, the 37 rear I have has spring behind which means frame mod, which I'm not keen on doing. 2) I need a front end and steering. 3) what crossmember should I use, F1 or perhaps tardel ?. Anyone got advice for me. I want to keep as traditional as I can but use juice brakes etc

11. Find a dunga old Model A rear end and cut the spring perches off, leaving the top two holes with it. Bolt it onto the backing plate flanges on the inside of the flange when you bolt backing plates on.. and you'll have yourself a spring over conversion.

Side note, if you end up using a 41 - 48 rear end, to get the perches spaced exactly the same as a Model A.. use a 1" spacer between the flange and the perch. You'll need new, longer bolts but any nut and bolt shop will have them.

indomwe likes this.
  12. louisb

louisb

indomwe likes this.
  13. Thanks for the advice fellas, big help. Now what about which front end I should use for a traditional build, lots of options I know, just want to keep it as traditional 30's to 40's as possible

14. @louisb those are super neat! I have original perches on my roadster but the ends are rusted and need a fix up.. probably need to be honed and bushed.. Those look like a really nice solution to that problem. Hmm..

15. Does anyone know the flange to flange measurement difference between a model A and 37 banjo rear. I need to figure out what length the model A main leaf needs to be when reversed and when using either a model A hanger or house of fab hanger. Any help on leaf measurement most appreciated

16. 117harv

117harv

Flange to flange where the backing plate seats, A is 52 and 1/4", the 37 is 3/4" wider.

indomwe likes this.
  17. Thanks much 117harv that's good I'll just use a spacer on each side and see if that works with the stock A mount and spring, perfect.

18. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

I have a 37 axle. Mine had wide five drums. The drive shaft was reduced in diameter except where the splines are so I couldnt shorten it. I got a later shaft that was the same diameter its whole length.