Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Border Bandits Gas class builds to the Southeast Gassers rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Nov 5, 2014.

1. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

As the title states...our club is building five Gas coupe/sedans to the Southeast Gassers rules. The cars are as follows. A 1932 Chevy Sedan, 1931 Chevy Vicky, 1931 Model A, 1955 Ford sedan, 1964 Chevy II. This one thread will have five builds to try and keep us motivated and help get more involved with this Gasser group.

A little bit of info on the club. We started like I'm guessing most clubs start...we were already friends who went to the dragstrip and hung out, so we thought we might as well have the cool coat and name to go with it. We help each other out and bounce ideas and trade labor like any club should.

Why the Southeast Gassers? Well they have a well oiled vintage machine going right now. They have the toughest rules and they haul.
    We met Quain at the 2013 Meltdown Drags where we as a club volunteer and are MDA members. That first time watching Quain and his nephew Donovan run and we were all hooked. All of our club has been down to watch them run(even though it was rained/snowed out) and two members have been down there three times all the way from Wisconsin. The simple answer is you can't have a better group of Southern good ole boys to run with...it helps that they have the most rules and run as hard or harder than the loose rules guys.

So now that I have bored you to death...lets start.

As you can see I already built this car and have had it running for two years. The problem is that the engine was set back 10" farther back than was legal as a Gasser back then and today. I talked to Quain at this past years Meltdown and he said to move the motor up and add a bumper and I would be set...easier said than done.lol

Attached Files:

2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

As you can see the motor is way back into the cowl...the motor is now moved ahead, but I still have to redo the seat location, pedal location and add a real roll cage. I also have decided to get rid of the 83 year old rear springs and also the ladder bars I built for street use.

no1nitrofreak and beebee78 like this.
  3. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

You can see in these pics how far ahead the motor had to go.

Attached Files:

Mtn Goat, loudbang and beebee78 like this.
  4. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

As you can see in this picture, im the owner of the 31 ford model a coupe. It doesnt look like much in this picture, but i have 98% of the car to make it complete laying throughout my garage. As progress goes along it will be updated on to here. Big E

Attached Files:

ManiacT, Mtn Goat and beebee78 like this.

5. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg This is the "Grape" we built a new front clip for it with a straight axle, its getting there hope to finish mock up, and get it tore back down soon ! Will post more pics and progress as it goes.

6. CGkidd

CGkidd

Can't wait to see more.

7. Well.....this is gonna' be good !!! What a great way to get in trouble ! Awesome show already ! Those are some nice cars to start with. Very cool.

8. WOW!! This is going to be great. My kind of builds. Thanks guys for sharing your endeavors . Mikey.

9. 1bad32sedan

1bad32sedan
    from Wisconsin

Here are a few pics of my 32 chevy sedan. This will be a complete build from scratch to the Southeast Gasser Rules. It will be getting a made from scratch frame, tube front axle, ladder bar with 9" ford rearend, fiberglass fenders and so on. Not sure on power plant yet.

Attached Files:

ManiacT and Mtn Goat like this.
  10. 1bad32sedan

1bad32sedan
    from Wisconsin

More pics

Attached Files:

ManiacT, Mtn Goat, mwideopen and 2 others like this.
  11. Pulling apart running/racing cars to conform to the rules is real dedication. My hat is off to you guys! SEG is one of the best thing going in nostalgia racing right now in my opinion. Glad to see more people finding the love. I'd love to have the means to participate. Can't wait to see the work you guys get done.

12. Judd

Judd

A
    Add a bumper for gas class?

ManiacT and jvpolvere1 like this.
  13. Subscribed and looking forward to the updates.
    My hats off to your club for running a great yearly drag racing event (Meltdown) and the dedication to get involved in the SEG events.
    Brian

tcoupekyle likes this.
  14. You guys make me want to move North :eek: . Nice looking builds! Can't wait to see these come together.

'56 150, 91whitestang and II FUNNY like this.
  15. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Awesome idea. Multiple builds on one thread. The South Eastern Gassers group and following are growing FAST!!! Keep the pics coming we cant wait to see em. Russ

91whitestang and II FUNNY like this.
  16. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Rear...they had to have a push bar or bumper back then and now

ManiacT likes this.
  17. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Some pretty damn cool projects you've got going there. Look forward to following this one.

91whitestang likes this.
  18. I'm subscribed,looking forward to seeing these cars come together. HRP

91whitestang likes this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

This is kool 5 for the price of 1 hell that's better than Wal Mart.

91whitestang and beebee78 like this.
  20. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Multiple builds cool, Gonna be watching this thread.

21. sch-1

sch-1

Does the Grape currently have enough HP to run a 5:75 1/8 index? Or are you going to need more motor? Looks like you may need more tire also, are you going to radius the rear?

Looking forward to seeing these next year at the Meltdown!

91whitestang likes this.
  22. Saxxon

Saxxon

Hey Kip... obviously the Austin plan has changed or delayed or ???

The Vic has always been one of my favorite race cars. After watching it jump and dive all over the place the last couple of Meltdowns, moving the engine forward might help you with overall driveability and handling. Then again I'm into wierd and radical so what do I know ?

If I lived 500 miles or so farther South I might be measuring the Scout for a third pedal and trading the blower for 14-1 pisons and stack injection.

Very cool guys.
    Long live the SEG and everything they stand for !

els, volvobrynk and 91whitestang like this.
  23. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Yeah Dave, the Austin is pretty rough and would be tough to get done before next summer. I will eventually build it, but it might be a street car.

24. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Currently no, but hopefully sometime next year ;) gonna try a nine wide for now then maybe I'll have to radius the wheel wells ?? New motor coming soon$

25. Judd

Judd

Missed it didn't have a back bumper either. I like the stick rules an minimum ladder bar lenth.

91whitestang and II FUNNY like this.
  26. sch-1

sch-1

"New motor coming soon$"

Everybody loves a new motor like a new pair of boots! What do you figure the Grape will weigh in at? I'm guessing your going to need near 750-800HP at the flywheel? On GAS!!

27. Dave, I dig Austins, but was so depressed Kip was gonna sell the Vicky, I started sneaking over to his at night, and pouring salt water all over the Austin & beating it with a hammer, so Kip would change his mind. Sssshhhh, don't tell Kip, I don't want him to hit me & make me taste my spleen!

28. AHotRod

AHotRod

Can you fella's choose the LARGE picture sizes when you put up your pictures?

This is going to be Wild and Crazy.

abs2278 and 91whitestang like this.
  29. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Speaking of rust...we were down to Quains shop last Friday and Mr Pale Rider Smith was talking about the rust bucket Stude in Quains shop...it needed two little patches and would be considered solid in Wisconsin. I guess it's all about location.

30. You had me at hello! Ok, since you all are building your cars to SEG rules, how can I help & how do I become a member of the club? One of those 1930's cars needs a 650HP 348 based 430" er, I have the recipe & the core engine. I also have a bad boy little 306 SBC that'll run in the 9's in a mid-lower 2000 lb. car. ;)