Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Where the heck was Fall Carlisle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Oct 1, 2014.

1. 5window

5window

I had the day off today and it looks like rain more the rest of the week-end so I headed down to Carlisle today. The place was absolutely dead. Maybe it's still sort of a set-up day for vendors, but they're open and charge full admission.

I got there the usual time-about 9, but parked in the 3rd row-some times in the past (but on a different day) I would be in row 60+ or couldn't get into this lot at all. The car corral probably could have help 15 times as many cars and vendor attendance was at about maybe 40% or less. I had a good time, but it wasn't like the old days.

I'll be really interested to hear from those of you who go tomorrow, Friday or Saturday. I got ina a good walk,though, just for exercise.

2. It's no secret that Carlisle has been on the decline for a while now. Those "old days" are long gone. Fuel prices, space prices, internet sales and Carlisle Productions themselves have contributed to the demise. By having all of the various events throughout the yr. ( MoPar, GM, Ford, Trucks, Imports, Bikes, etc., etc. ) they have managed to "dilute" Fall Carlisle which used to be, and still is their premier event. Good luck, hope you do well, but sadly enough I don't think we will see again the Carlisle of 20 yrs. ago.

62hotcat likes this.
  3. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

Englishtown this year was a bust. Despite great weather, the attendance was WAY down and vender spaces were empty all over. I think internet has a lot to do with it, I for one like to get out there and walk the isles.

4. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

I remember back in the 90's we attended 24 shows one year--bought and sold fleas like there was no tomorrow!! Lordy that was fun!! I also remember filling my flea truck in Indy one summer and fuel had skyrocketed to $1.60 a gallon and I said to my partner--this deal is over with--we are doomed.
    Now skip agead to $3.30 a gal--Hotels are high $$$$$$, Flea spaces are crazy high at some better shows
    Business not as good at home so I need to be there even more making all I can
    I can find the nugget I need on the web
    Ahhh The good old days ........................................

5. Lothiandon, do you think that the Penn. tax on out of state vendors keep some away? I still have a space for spring but its mainly for a place for us to hang out. I rarely sell enough to cover the cost.

WDobos and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. ...........................No doubt that has had a huge impact. Excellent point. Does the tax not apply to Pa. residents? If it's a sales tax seems like it should apply to everyone.

7. They tax everyone, I feel screwed because I stay at their hotels, buy their gas and eat their food. Then get hit for tax on stuff I'm selling usually at a loss. Parts I no longer need or didn't fit my cars. I should be imune to crazy taxes living in MD. I'm pushing the political button so enough said.

lothiandon1940 and WDobos like this.
  8. barnescole

barnescole

I'm heading over there this am, but mainly to take my 2 year old to walk around and check out the cars. I try to get out there every year whether i need anything or not, just to support the show. Its a large part of my childhood walking around with dad, and trying to identify all of the cars. I agree however that parts can be found online a bit easier....i remember when we'd have to wait until Apr or Oct to find parts for our mid 30s cars.

WDobos likes this.
  9. after my little tax rant, am I still going? Hell yeah, I'm like a kid at Christmas. Been looking forward to it for weeks. A car load of us is headed up Friday, will let You know if I see alot of empty spaces.

10. WDobos

WDobos

Ohio is no differant,I use to sell at Canfield then Ohio wanted me to charge sales. They even mailed you a sales tax form to fill out in advance of you going to the swap meet. Every state is out for the bucks. Also now there will be a record for the Feds so they can come after you for federal income tax. Hobby days are gone for good ! Oh by the way I live in Pennsylvania.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Old Ford Coupe

Old Ford Coupe

Attendance has been dropping; however, Wednesday is mainly a set-up day. Best to attend Thurs through Sat.

12. 5window

5window

Yeah, I got that. However, it was Wednesday or Saturday as I work Thur/Fri (semi-retired, but need those 2 days a week) and Saturday looked like rain-I'll be happy to hear how packed it was from you guys who go.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  13. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I'm guessing that E-PAY has had a huge impact on guys hauling their stuff to the market....a GLOBAL market is now at their fingertips and they can get premium prices through fake bidding. Just my 2 cents.

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

as a comparison, attendance at Fall Jefferson was great. But the weather was exceptional, and the forecast was correct.

But not a lot of money changed hands. Especially in the car corral.

One of the major food vendors told me that their sales were actually down a bit.

Blame it on many things, but at the end of the day...the money just isn't there. It is the common man that makes a Swap Meet a success. Sure, the rich folks will have a presence, but it is you and I that buy/sell/eat/drink and spend our hard earned dollars.

Perhaps the economy has recovered, but our pockets are still empty.

verno30 likes this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Most people save their parts and money for HERSHEY!

16. If I go, Carlisle has become little more than a social venture, a chance to hang out for the day with a few pals and get a little (make that a lot ) exercise. If I find something I need (or can't live without) so be it.

17. I never sell enough at a swap to make a trek five hours to a huge one to compete with that many more vendors for a dwindling number of spectator dollars from people all looking for cheap stuff to put on eBay. Sometimes I barely sell enough to pay for the gas and the spot for one 30 miles from home.

18. Squablow

Squablow

As for Jefferson, Rachel and I usually go on Friday, but this time we couldn't so we went Saturday, got there at 7 and before 3 we had spent all of our money, close to a grand. Tons of good deals from guys who just didn't want to take stuff home. We saw a lot of spectators but we always seemed like the only ones hauling or carrying anything. If I would have known how good it was going to be, I'd have brought more money.

It marks the first Jefferson I've ever been to and not gotten a Big Bar. Only had $1 left, couldn't cover it!

19. 5window

5window

Hershey always seems to be a crap-shoot. Early for stuff that might escape, later for stuff that doesn't want to go home-Friday afternoon or Saturday. Although Saturday is technically still a vendor day, most have left. But there is usually some pretty cool trash available Saturday morning!

20. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Yes, Where are the good old days at Carlisle, my buddies and I used to haul 2 or 3 street rods or customs there twice a year until good ole USA Customs put and end to that by not allowing us over the border unless we used a Broker but once you do that you cannot return it back to Canada. If we wanted to just take them there hoping for a sale the response was that if we sold the car ourselves we would be taking a job from a U.S. citizen so we could not do that either, Now we go down the odd time once a year but it is not the same as the good old days.

21. ems customer service

ems customer service

pa tax dept ran us out with all there dumb regulations

22. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

My first trip we got turned away from a few full parking lots. Made a nice collection today hope to make another tomorrow.

23. I was at Carlisle maybe in 1976 or 1977 for the Ford event. Rained like a bastard, but they came out in droves anyway. I'm going next year for sure now that I have a Ford.

24. Wednesday was great to walk around and not bump into people. Just a lot of fun when it's relaxed like that. All the good stuff isn't gone yet and the vendors are still enthusiastic at the beginning of the event. Temps were perfect!

25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just got back from Carlisle (Friday night) and came away wondering if it's worth going anymore. The couple of rows behind the hill, between the hill & the x-way, had less than half the spaces occupied and a lot of empty spaces in the rest of the show,as well. I've been going to Carlisle for 30+ years and it looks to me like it's dieing a slow death.

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think all swapmeets are dieing to some extent,I finally decided not to attend what used to be a large swapmeet 100 miles from me due to it going from all you can do to see in one day to a couple hour event.

27. As TagMan said, the hill had very few vendors and the car corral was pretty small. A lot of foot traffic but never really crowded. I found some deals and had a good time with some old friends. My buddy had 3 spots and had a lot of lookers but not many sales. Non auto related stuff appeared to be selling well, seems like every other person walking by had a beer advertisement sign or light. Its not like it used to be but I still enjoy going.

28. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

The Carlisle All-Ford Nationals started in 1995.
    I will be there in 2015 as part of the non-Mustang contingent.

29. I was there Thursday kind of disappointed also but still enjoyed it, been going since the beginning, we used to have a spot in the north field, but as I rode on my electric scooter, cant walk it any more, my mind wandered to thoughts of my mom, dad, father in law,friend that over the years we attended fall Carlisle and I could not help but think of all the good memories we had there ,they all are deceased now ,was I disappointed sure but you know I probably will continue to go as long as I am able, after all someone has to be left to carry the torch

30. I went Thurs., found a set of backing plates to cut up and weld to my disk brackets for $20. Saw a lot of cool y-block and flathead stuff, but the prices are rising past affordable for me. Still kind of an annual event for me aand usually spend more on parking, admission and food than on parts.