Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The FRAETON - 29 phaeton project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PurdueSD, Sep 25, 2014.

1. This builds been underway for a couple months now, so i thought it was a good time to get something started here.

The back story: Ive been building my 51chevy p/u over the course of the last 4 years. Just a hobby, couple days here, couple days there. Couple months off, etc. You know the story. Anyways, in that time i had begun to lust after a drivable car (and an early ford). Ive always loved the look and feel of roadsters. But the thing is, my wife and son wouldn't fit in one with me. You see, we do everything together. It just didn't feel right building a car without room for all of us. Tudor's and mor-dors were considered but in the end. The shining light at the end of the tunnel came in the form of a model A phaeton.

The idea: I knew early on i wasn't going to be the one building this car. I had some honest discussions with myself and swallowed my pride. I started asking around for recommendations, sending emails out to shops i respected, etc. You wouldn't believe how many shops don't even take the time to respond to inquiries. Before i had decided on a shop, i found a car thanks to an add i posted in the HAMB wanted. A 20 hour round trip in the middle of February snow later, i was the owner of a 29 Phaeton body as nice as they come. Found out after arriving back home, the hacking and general feeling of death I had been encountering on the trip was from a bout of pneumonia...shesh!

In the end, I made the decision to go with Bob Bleed at his shop Midwest Fabrication. Bob took the time to really go through everything with me. Early on (before he knew i was even serious) he helped review pictures and made suggestions on what to look for on a car i was considering.

Here's the body as she arrived home... Someone had replaced the wheel tubs but other than that no rust was to be found. Bottom and inside of doors were perfect. Even the sub rails showed very minimal signs of pitting. I didn't really know how well i did at the time.

[​IMG]

Some other shots pre-purchase...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I don't care if you can't spell phaeton worth a shit, I'm subscribing

Nailhead A-V8, lewk, Outback and 5 others like this.
  3. Damn......that's the start of my first rod bucket list. I have kids, so a Phaeton would be good...for this guy. I like it. I need more info as to what makes this body more fun. Can you lengthen by using sedan doors? Is there a commercial cowl that gives you more leg room? As well.....what's up with dual cowls? Was that pre 1928 Phaeton? If you don't know.....I will just congratulate you on a great start. Like I said......perfect first rod for this guy. You got it buddy. Soooooo......good luck sir !! Bob Bleed is badass........so probably no luck needed.

4. The plan :

Late 50s build
    Deuce Frame, pinched, bobbed, model a cross members, 34 style X, banjo, early sbc
    Full folding top, with snap in windows. a la the gommi phaeton.
    Titian or a spin on Titian Red, white interior, with black inserts. 3 pc. Tonneau.

Im a decent sized guy. 6'2" 195. Im going to need all the room i can get in an early A. Ill probably have to cheat the seat back and ditch the seat risers.

The Build: Bob and Jeff at midwest fabrication have been giving her hell for a couple months now. Started with bare rails and have built up from there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

ratrodrodder, DrewModelA and kiwijeff like this.

5. 1949 merc dash! Fits perfect...errr will!

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. @kidcampbell71 the first ford phaeton was the 28/29 models. Before that they were model T touring. The 28/29 phaetons share the roadster cowl and dash. Can't answer your other questions about how to stretch one. Honestly I can't see wanting to make one longer wheelbase... Glad you like it!

7. She's a roller! Front is not finished here and the front tires are too big, but still pretty fantabulous!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    mockup motor...

[​IMG]

Some sweet motor mount action!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    DrewModelA and DylanHill1931 like this.
  8. Like it ? I love it !! Ha ha, thanks for the reply. My favorite fun time rod. I'm a tall guy......I just want more foot room. Guy here in Texas has a 30 Phaeton....that I like. I'll have to see what you do, in so far as you being 6'2". We are in the same boat.....or....er....inseam.

ratrodrodder likes this.
  9. bucket list car for me.great job so far.

10. All to be determined but, We are planning to cheat the the steel seat back to the rear a couple inches. Probably ditch the stock seat springs, then use foam to gain some more inches. If you had to do an engine setback it would be bad. For my build it's not needed thanks to the deuce frame. This is gonna have 3 pedals!

11. One of the many old Ford's I like!! I'll be watching. Tim

12. Glad you started this thread. I've been watching on instagram

13. This brings us up to current.

I've spent months waffling on the details...color, wheels, interior etc...(driving me and probably Bob nuts) !

Of course I ended up right back where I started, but it got a kick ass drawing and the peace of mind.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  14. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

That body looks familiar...good to see you're making progress on the project!

15. Thanks Steve!

16. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Unless you're 5'6" with really short legs you'll need to set the seat location back as far as you can.

17. Wow, this is perfect. Mr Bleed knows his shit.
    Had one in my shed for some time a few years ago, and would have loved to buy it, just didn't have the cash. A fella brought it from up North. Haven't had any updates, and he was going to use the banger. I like your direction very much, and if I ever did one, it would be very similar. Subscribed.

18. great start, will be a fun car, looking forward to seeing this car evolve.

Cheers,

Drewfus

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

I'm thinking I need me a phaeton.....

20. Thanks Jeff!

Me too, thanks man!

You do need a 3p don't a ya rich!

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Your tub drawing looks vaguely familiar...:)

hrdp_1011_07_o%2Brat_rod_history%2Bdecember_1988_rod_and_custom.jpg

22. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Couldn't have made a better decision on who to build this. This car is gonna rule.

sko_ford and PurdueSD like this.
  23. @3wLarry
    Jake's tub is an inspiration for sure! How could it not!

sko_ford likes this.
  24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Ronald Bowman

Ronald Bowman

I've been watching on instagram[​IMG]

26. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This sounds like A nice car in the making.
    Keep ad it!

28. Thanks tommy, I've been following your build too!

Thanks man!

29. I was lucky enough to run up to Milwaukee this past weekend. Got to check out progress and hang out for a good chunk of a day! We spent some time brainstorming and problem solving. Got fit to the car (actually the other way around). The seat back ended up getting moved back 3-1/2" and the stock seat riser eliminated to get me fitting down in the car instead of sitting on top of it.

The 49 merc dash is a freaking jewel! I am so in love with this little car! I bet a spent an hour just walking around staring. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face all weekend!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. cmarcus

cmarcus

Love that car!! We have our first kid on the way...and the hobby is certainly a family affair. Have always wanted a 50s style late 20s Phaeton build for the same reason. I'm in the Midwest so hopefully will get to see it sometime next year!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!