Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods street racer 55 chevys from the early 60's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shiftee, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Shiftee

Shiftee

Does anyone have any pics of some street racer,daily driver 55 chevys from the early 60's
    Thanks Shiftee

2. 0ldracer

0ldracer

1959-1960 daily driver and part time street racer/drag racer in the Northern Virginia, Washington, DC area.

blackwhite55.jpg

3. Down South Racer

Down South Racer

I.D. of some of the cars in Pannton Bros.pictures 3rd picture down has Eddie Schartman in the 55 and Ron Hassel ib the 56.7th picture is a Texas Racer by the name of August Hartkoff,? on spelling of the last name.

4. rfraze

rfraze

Best one I ever saw, on the street, was owned by Wayne Boyd of Irving, Texas. It was one bad-ass, beautiful, Honduras Maroon, 365 horse 327, 4 speed, garage-built icon. Talented people involved with this car include Jerry Fain and Wayne's Dad. I'd love to see any pics of this car that raced all over DFW in mid 60s or stories about you getting beat by it. I hear Wayne is in East Texas, but do not know what happened to the car.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

guess theres probably no point in asking if theres any more photos of tri-5 street cars, before this thread completes its metamorphosis into another tri-5 gasser thread.:D

6. Yes, +1 to FalconGeorge's sentiment regarding more early 60's street car '55 Chevs (not gassers).

I hope a friend of my dad's doesn't mind me sharing this here. This is from the mid/late 60's. Harry got this '55 (for free) as a stripped shell that was laying upside down in a garden plot. He built it up with a 327. He drove it for awhile, then gave it to his brother. Car became undriveable and his brother parked it on the street, in front of the house... where I guess it disappeared a piece at a time. Kind of went full circle - stripped 2x!

\'55 front.jpg \'55 interior.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Shiftee likes this.
  7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Cool photos. I've always loved to see photos of 55 Chevys racing Willys coupes. The 2 best gasser cars. I guess that's why George Lucas chose a 55 Chevy for his film. Wicked 55's

8. Shiftee

Shiftee

Thanks for the pics!

9. Shiftee

Shiftee

No gassers please!!!

10. 40fairlane

40fairlane

August was also know as Hands. He was known for breaking hurst shifters .Watched him race in 60`s at san Antonio drag raceway His brother raced a 55 sedan delivery

11. Read ya loud and clear, I got carried away, so sorry for that. Just so ya know, late 50's early 60's street race cars, got put in the Gas Classes & were called gassers, when ever they accidently wandered onto a drag strip. I'll be more careful to stay on topic over here from now on. PS. I made sure to delete all the offending posts.

12. Shiftee

Shiftee

Hey its no big deal i love the gassers too! Just looking for some street car right now.

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I used "Gasser" as a generic term, beside, "Gasser" and "55 Chevy" are one and the same. 55 Chevys make badass racers, whether it's the streets or the track. My first car was a 55 Nomad so I have a soft spot for the 55s.

14. 0ldracer

0ldracer

I apologize. I think I am the one that originally deviated from topic here. Off topic post has been removed.
    Any more street racers out there????

15. I'll admit, I was slightly "miffed" at first, but I did go a little crazy with '56 pics, and didn't even noticed you had asked for 55's only. I will tell you very honestly though, that late 50's/early 60's street race versions literally were gassers, without lettering, and/or a roll bar maybe, and very many of them did morph into basically race only versions ina a short amount of time. Wally Bell, had a black '57 Hardtop with chrome reverse wheels/narrow white walls that he won B/G with at an early Nationals, and only a short time later, it had radius wheel wells, hood scoop, no front bumper, and lettering. Same with our '56, Fred Bears '55, Joe Hrudka's 57 Hardtop. etc. etc. Your not getting too many pics up yet, so if you do look at early gassers, you'll get the idea.