Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 377 SBC Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travj31, Jun 19, 2014.

1. What do you guys think - How much HP/TQ?

377 stroker - 13.5-1 compression, SCAT crank, 5.7 rods, forged Speed Pro Pistons, World Sportsman 200cc iron heads with 64cc chamber and 2.02/1.60 stainless valves, chrome moly pushrods, aluminum full roller rockers, Comp solid lifter cam (250/60 duration @ .50 532/558 lift, Pete Jackson, Victor Jr intake w/850 Proform carb on top of a Wilson spacer with full length headers

Also, think this motor can handle a 125 shot?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  2. Fuelaltereds4life

Fuelaltereds4life

580hp/450tq. Its going to make it all above 4k rpm though! Badass engine!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. dad-bud

dad-bud

You're going to need some octanes to keep that baby together - not just quantity, but also quality.
    Enjoy it - it's gunna be FAST!!!

4. Larry T

Larry T

If everything is right, I'd think between 450/500 hp. Should be enough to bring a smile to your face!
    I've been looking for a way to pull an honest 500 hp out of a similar built 350, except using 6" rods, roller cam and 215 cc Dart platnimums.

5. Saxxon

Saxxon

My 377 with 10.5-1 with aluminum heads flowing similar numbers, a slightly more aggressive cam and a Pro-systems 830 cfm carb - made 500hp @ 6200 with 430tq @ 4200. I would expect yours to be slightly better

6. Thanks for the responses... Im hoping for a realistic 450-475 so from everyone's estimates I should be well within reach of my goal.

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

500+, 13.5 compression is race gas motor, will not survive on todays pump gas, 93 oictane, thought I should mention this in case you were not aware of this. Sounds like a pretty good engine, have fun with it. John

8. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Sounds like a perfect candidate to run e85 !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

knotheads likes this.
  9. Have any of you guys ever used... Torco Race Fuel Accelerator? Claims it can raise octane by 14 points if there 32oz. bottle of additive is added to 5 gallons of 91/93 octane - Good for 105 or 107 octane.

10. I wouldn't trust any octane booster to do the trick for 13.5 cr engine. I had an SBM with alu heads and similar compression, it blew the copper head gaskets with booster and knocked with aviation gas. Use racing fuel and be safe.

11. Yeah, I plan on running race gas. I was just wondering if anyone ever had any experience with this product because I thought about buying a couple of bottles to throw in the car if I ever went anywhere of distance just in case I needed some to mix with regular fuel to get me home.

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

377's were a popular combination on dirt short tracks in the early 70's. Back when home engine builders could still compete. One of those things screaming through a set of 180 degree headers was a sound not for the faint at heart. Sounds like a cool build, though maybe not the most street friendly. Good luck with it.

13. Yeah, this motor will see limited street time. I'd like to just be able to drive it through town (5 miles) and back home. The car is a budget build so my goal is strictly cheap fun as a strip/street cruiser. I have another car for reliability!

14. what do you guys think of spraying this motor with a 125 shot? think it can handle it safely? anything in particular i should be aware of? i know ill need to adjust the time, but anything else???

15. squirrel

squirrel

Change your shorts after the first time you push the button

slowmotion likes this.
  16. so other than dirty underwear, any other concerns of spraying 125 at the 377?

17. Sounds like a nice motor. What about aviation fuel? I'm familiar with 100LL locally but know some airports carry a 115 octane for turbo props. I used the 100LL in stock cars for years, but those were down about to 11:1.

18. As stated above, this is the perfect motor for E85. It is way cheaper than race gas and you should be able to find it at a decent number of gas stations in your area.

Get on Google and start doing some research on E85. I think you'll like what you find.

19. is this an in depth conversion?

20. More cam more head lotsa rpm!!!! Good engine I had one 25 years ago and it went 10.9s inna 3000lb. barn

21. i know the heads aren't the greatest for this application with 200 runners, but this is a VERY LOW BUDGET build and they were the best i could get for the money. ideally... what would you suggest for cam and heads?

22. Saxxon

Saxxon

I am assuming you are using a kit of some sort and not just cobbling something together.
    • Nitrous demands a 1 - 1.5 degree retard per 50 hp shot. I would take your timing back about 3 degrees for a 125 shot
    • Make sure your fuel pump can keep up. The last thing you want is a lean mixture with nitrous as you'll lose pistons in a hurry.
    • Start with a small shot - like 50hp - and work your way up. Check your plugs and watch for spackling or a lean condition

More hp is the best way to find weak links in your drivetrain and engine. If your drivetrain behind the engine is not up to the task then you'll find out quickly.

One last point. Your 377 is based on a 400 block which are not the strongest out there. Yes I am aware many folks have pushed 600+ with those blocks but that's usually with ARP bolts and studs and beefed up mains.

When working right...nitrous is a lot of fun. When not working right it gets expensive fast

23. Saxxon... Yeah, I'm aware of retarding the timing. To be on the safe side I was going to start with taking 5-6 degrees out and then start working my way back. The nitrous kit that I have is an old compucar kit. Unfortunately, there are no adjustments with it... its a 125 shot or nothing. I think the transmission will be okay, its the 7.5 inch 10 bolt where i'll be crossing my fingers! it does have a mini spool in it, just worried the axles won't last too long haha

24. Cobb Ware

Cobb Ware

With that compression, may want to back the total advance to about 32-34 degrees... I have a 421 with similar compression and a quick fuel two circuit dominator. You should have no problem. ALSO, I have a fresh 377 on the stand if anyone is interested

25. masracingtd1167

masracingtd1167
    from ct

The best thing you could do is call Compucar and ask them about your tune up for this system . Nitrous oxide works great as long as you have a safe tune up . I have sprayed 300 hp with my small block and it was fast !

26. yeah... i definitely want a safe tune, especially to start out with as this will be the first motor i've ever sprayed.

27. Nope, just a suggestuion.

It's kinda nice to be able to run 13.5:1 and pull up to the pump at the local gas station and fill up for less than $4.00 a gallon. Last time I checked race gas in my area (been awhile) it was around $7.50.

I was building a 13:1 compression E85 motor for my Anglia when I sold it to build my '32.

user38864_pic340214_1321200137.jpg

28. sss

sss

I assume your rotating assembly is forged, you should no problems. I would advise you to invest in a control box for the nitrous system. Use a fuel pressure safety switch or invest in a fp gauge and get a wideband o2 sensor. Besides those items, read those plugs. When I played with nitrous I spent alot of money on my setup. All I had to do was turn it on, purge and hold on. My control box was smaller than a pack of cigs and did rpm window, gear select, percentage, ramp time and I forget what all else. I also used a pusher system instead of a bottle heater.

29. Another question for you guys... Was talking with an old drag racer over the weekend and he suggested that I simply take a couple degrees of timing out of the engine and run 93 pump gas the majority of the time, since the car will probably see 75% street and 25% track time. And then when I go to the track, bump it back up. Do you think this is a possible/reasonable alternative for this SBC with 13-5:1 compression? I figured it was just too high to run anything but race gas? The guy I was talking with, currently has a 13:1 406 SBC that has seen high 9's in an OT Camaro that has been driven both at the track and on the street.