Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Speedy Bill passing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pinkynoegg, May 31, 2014.

1. st.rod

st.rod

Damn! Its the first I heard of it. R.I.P.

Larry

2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I ordered my first parts from him back in 1958 or so and have been buying parts ever since. He was always on top of the market with low prices and good service. The company is strong but will miss his contributions and direction. RIP……..

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Another good man gone.RIP Sir.
    Leo

4. RIP and thoughts with his family

5. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

Bills museum is simply amazing and is a must see for those that have never been there. I have ordered many parts throughout the years and felt that Speedway is a first class organization. The Smith sons should be very proud of their Father. My condolences to the family. R.I.P. "Speedy Bill."

6. captmullette

captmullette

he will be missed, be with your love ....bill

7. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

R.I.P. Speedy Bill!.....

8. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

9. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Met him at SEMA a few years ago. He will be missed, but he is with his wife now, RIP Speedy.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

After his wife passed, I knew this was coming. I have been a loyal customer for 8 years. They say, "You know you're getting old, when all your hero's are dead." I feel old all of a sudden.

11. pressuredrop

pressuredrop
    from mesa AZ

Wow, im still trying to absorb the news. I dont think I would have a hotrod without Bill and Speedway Motors.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I met Bill a couple times when on a tour through his museum. Very nice man. He will definitely be missed. Gods speed, Speedy Bill!

13. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

RIP sir.....

14. RIP SPEEDY BILL, and now with his wife in heaven! We have lost yet another legend. He will be missed by hot rodders near and far.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ah, that is truly sad news. :( Never had the pleasure of meeting him but I have the upmost respect for the empire he built in this hobby. I bet the passing of his beloved Wife was very hard on him.

RIP.

Don

16. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Truly sad news...but Speedy lived a full nine innings and managed a couple of overtime ones for good measure. Another icon gone....but not to be forgotten. RIP

17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

RIP Bill. Condolences to the Smith family.

18. trksmth

trksmth

So sad, he had to of lived the dream! R.I.P.

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Sorry for all of us,Bill takes with him a vast amount of things to do with speed we love,he did also put a lot of out there for us all to know as well,but for sure we lost a great hotrodder/racer.

20. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

RIP Speed Bill
    Speedy Bill took time out to talk to my son when he was 10. He asked him how he liked the museum. My son told him it was awesome. He told him that " I built this for you. I want you to always be able to see the history of hot rodding. Always impressed me.

FlynBrian likes this.
  21. Over the past twenty five years I have become very good friends with Speedy I was his Body-man Pal, worked with him on many projects, The replica of his famous 1932 Ford (4x) race car, and others. In 2007 he challenged me to convert the little Nash Metro into a Taxi cab for Joyce I had 31 days to get it done. Opening day of Americruise I delivered it to Bill & Joyce in front of the museum! It was a honor for us to have done the work we did for them. Out of all the cars in the Museum this little taxi may have meant the most to Bill since he had it built just for Joyce and he was like a kid when he come over to check out it's progress, He was anxious to surprise Joyce with it, and she was what a great day that was!
    We sure Miss Joyce and will sure Miss Speedy and all the random visits and evenings down town for Margaritas!
    I'm so sad for the loss of both Bill & Joyce, but so glad to have had them except my Wife and I in to their world we have so many good memories just as plain nice hard working midwestern folks!

Doug Kielian
    Auto Kraft body & paint Inc.
    Lincoln, Neb.

22. fatkoop

fatkoop

There are very few people who have had as much influence on the world of roundy-round racing, hot rods, and old cars in general as Speedy Bill. His love of this stuff is shown by his passion for the museum he built to honor all things Hot Rod. The business side is truly unbelievable. Many of us own him , his wife and his family a debt of gratitude for 50 years of support. He will be missed.

23. I met him once; a truly nice and caring man. He always gave a smile to everyone and never had an unkind word to say it seemed. I'll miss him just for that.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Just a few picture to go along with my little story thought some of you might like to see, this is the real Speedy Bill & Joyce, just great normal folks that love to make things happen, be sure to get to the Museum some day to see what they did not only for the racing world but for Americana as well! I'm still in shock Bill looked great just last week when I delivered some vintage Ford items I bought for him at an auction, he loved collecting and showcasing the history of Speed, custom & performance

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - he helped change the world of cars - sincere sympathy goes out to all of his family, friends and fans

26. bill-norope2.jpg I'm very sorry about my picture postings I'm not very good at this so bare with me, & the new format of this site is confusing for me? but here are just a few more pictures of Speedy Bill & Joyce I thought you'd like to see

27. aircap

aircap

Rock on, Bill! We won't forget you soon.