Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods freeze plug leaking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodge59, May 14, 2014.

1. dodge59

dodge59

I have a 241 hemi that has a freeze plug leaking . any special sealer to apply to seal ? or leave it dry ?
    plan on using a hammered in disc.
    Thanks !
    john

2. I've always sanded any rust off and just installed a new one,,never used any sealer. HRP

3. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

I have always used a thin coat of black rtv on freeze plugs.
    No leaks so far and thats 30 years

4. I use a ball peen hammer with the ball on the freeze plug and strike that hammer with another hammer.

SuRfAcE_RuSt likes this.

5. dodge59

dodge59

Thanks guys
    atleast It's the middle freezeplug that is out in the open.... to get a swing on the hammer.Thanks god for that.

6. maniac

maniac

7. dodge59

dodge59

Yeah........... I used the rubber expansion plugs before ... Never had one leak. wonder How long they will last though.
    another good choice.

8. junkyard dog 1948

junkyard dog 1948
    from iowa

i use a half inch socket that's a close fit , short ext. and ball pein hammer

9. rustyzman

rustyzman
    from midwest

My personal preference has always been to install them with a light film of permatex 599 grey. Have not had one fail yet. Also sometimes knock out a second one if there is crap and sediment in the block so I can really flush it out with a hose. Only if access is not a huge problem. Just my method.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. dodge59

dodge59

got the new freeze plug hammered in .. put little extra sealer on the outside for good luck .
    Thanks guys !
    john

Attached Files:

11. I bet if one has gone some of the others will be next soon. Oh and never hit two hammers together unless one is a soft face !! JW

12. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

YES!

Hammers are hardened & will chip each other, sending the chips in your face if you're unlucky.

Also, one rusted out plug usually means the others are nearly rusted through too. When the first one leaked on my Caddy, I took an ice pick and stuck it right through three others without even trying.

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

As said above, if one leaks, the others won't be far behind.

14. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

My dad's scout has the original freeze plugs and no rust after 50+ years. He always used regular Prestone & distilled water. He told me it was better to pee in the radiator than use the water in Duluth.

Now that I think of it, he might not have been kidding. :rolleyes:

15. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

@ Dodge59,
    Originally the freeze plug is designed as a semi-permanent metal-to-metal seal. When you hit the low crown of the plug and flatten it, the mechanical advantage of that design means your hit of a few lbs is multiplied 1000x. Enough to crush steel and iron. The deformation insures a seal.

The metal of the block's sealing surface should look as perfect as the mating surface of that brand new freeze plug, but it wont. If you clean it up shiny & it has pits, a good sealant will help. Most of the common ones will work fine, but the key to every sealant is always clean, clean, clean metal.

16. dodge59

dodge59

17. GregCT.

GregCT.
    from CT.

White pepper in the radiator will cure a seeping one and seal up seeping head bolts.

18. dodge59

dodge59

Yes sir it does work ... done it for a quick fix. used car .

19. Diavolo

Diavolo

Grats on the plug. I just want to say that Mythbusters debunked the hammer chip story. Also, don't we use a hammer on a chisel and isn't that hardened? Of course, safety glasses should be used with tools anyway... :D

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Can't tell you how many times I have beat one hammer against another over the years and never saw one chip in any way. Probably one of those urban legends.

I also use only brass freeze plugs when replacing them. Couple bucks more but they last forever.

Don

21. I watched that Mythbusters show and I can say its crap!! I bumped two hammers togeather once and a chip shot off one,went through my overalls,jeans and into my leg 3/8". It doesn't happen every time but WHEN IT DOE'S watch out !!!! JW

22. stimpy

stimpy

a chisel the cutting end is hardened not the shaft , thats why they mushroom , and you have to grind them down .. and the hardening is only a few thousandths thick on the surface ..

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  23. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

have had a freeze plug "installation" tool set since I started turnin wrenchs -- has a flex head w numerous size attachments and a loooong and a short driver handle to git to difficult to access plugs -- always used "elephant snot" [ 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive ] as a lubricant-sealer -- never had a leak after ;)

24. I have had better luck with the Hot Heads stainless w/O-ring style. Shortly after getting my '51 with its hemi, I put in the Hot Heads freeze plugs. Years later, maybe about 2007, when rebuilding a replacement motor, I provided a set to the well known professional engine builder who rebuilt my 392. He declined to use them as he had more faith in the standard Mopar plugs and he was insistent with his experience at their installation, they would not fall out. During break-in on an engine startup stand, one, maybe two, iirc, blew out. I replaced all with the Hot Heads freeze plugs before the motor was installed in my '51 and never have had a problem since.