Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mighty Mo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Just read an article in the Washington Business Journal about the expected May 2014 opening of the Marriott Marquis Hotel on Mass. Ave. in Wash. D.C. There will be 2 restaurants in the hotel, one named "Anthem", which among other things will serve the venerable "Mighty Mo" hamburger, Teen Twist sandwich and Orange Freeze. Sadly there was no mention of curb service or inclusion of the classic "Hot Fudge Cake" on the menu.:D

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  2. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

Donnie where on Mass. Ave? They have a Mighty Mo reunion in Sharpsburg, Md. every Oct. Wife and I cruise over for the event. Have'nt been in a couple of years.
    Don't forget the Nostalgia race and car show at mason Dixon last sunday in june. hope to see ya. Track opens March 1st weather permiting....JT

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. 9th and Mass. Ave. NW across from the Convention Center. Good to see you are surviving the Winter and all the snow, John. Looking forward to seeing you at some events this year. We might have to get a few folks together to meet up at the new Marriott for a Mighty Mo in May.:D

4. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

we had 20'' but we made it. got wife off to work then I went to vfw for happy hour. 75c PBR drafts.is life good or what. a get together at the Mo sounds great.

5. In just a couple of months we can indulge in a Mighty Mo and see if they remotely capture the essence of the original.

6. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Oh man, if they are like the originals, please ship me a couple dozen. :D I loved those things.

7. Clik

Clik

I just googled a street view of the old Mo site. What a shithole neighborhood. Looks like a third world country now. They spent big bucks on foot bridges, bike trails and trash cans that no one uses. The county does a great job of maintaining the roadsides. You can barely see the guardrail accross the street because it's so overgrown. I guess Marriott saw it coming 'cause the Mo wasn't open long.

8. ............Less than a month away!:D

9. If you drive I will ride with you lothiandon, I Mighty Mo`s are why I am 270 now..HaHa..

10. .......Are you sure you didn't slip a few Hot Fudge Cakes in there?:D

11. Clik

Clik

You guys aren't fooling me. I know ya'll were hanging at the Mo but sneaking over to Burger Chef for the .15 cent hamburgers. Cheapskates! :)

12. ..........and you said the secret was safe.:)

13. I'm thinking (that's scary) that the Monday after Memorial Day might be a good day, at least "traffic wise" to head downtown and have lunch at the "Anthem Restaurant" and try out their Mighty Mo. Who's in?

14. Actually I guess Mon. is Memorial Day.

15. ...................................Who's in?.......anybody?

16. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Just saw this thread. Its very interesting as I grew up in the rockville area. We street raced down at v street also....wasn't that long ago though. What did get me interested in this thread was the stories about the most and the hot shoppes. My mom told me stories about the hot shoppes from when she grew up and went to school at bcc I guess she graduated in the late fifties. The wild stories come from her brother my uncle Walt Albaugh. I think he was more of a motorcycle guy and I hear wild stories from his friends when they get to talking. Going to his place this weekend and will see if I can find any pics or find out his involvment in the shenanigans of the day. In do have one pic to post but I believe it was at the gas station he and his friends worked at maybe.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

17. Yes please post any pics you might find at your Uncle's house. We love pictures and enjoy stories as well that he might remember.

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

19. Tommy, That link comes up as invalid for me, maybe because I'm not on Facebook.:confused:

20. btt for the reunion information

21. Clik

Clik

So, who went to the Mo Reunion in Antietam? Anything good there?

22. I for one did not make it up there. Hopefully someone else did and will let us know how it was. If you happen to pick up the current Rodder's Journal there's an excellent article by Curt Iseli about Pete LaBarbera, Ralph Bull and Joe Mack Schubert with references to the 'Mo, Hot Shoppes and your Kaywood Gardens Apts. Lots of great history of Hyattsville, Beltsville, Aquasco as well as their ventures in So Cal. Great writing by Curt with lots of old archival photos from that time period. Check it out.

23. Clik

Clik

24. Did anyone go to the Mighty Mo reunion or have any stories and photos from that era?

25. my \'64 Galaxie (1).jpg Just for the record, this is what I was driving back in the late 60's. It made many trips around the Capitol Plaza Hot Shoppes.:)

26. Clik

Clik

What color was the 64 Ford?

27. 1602222-9d8bc558008cfffb641c0a85d1fdd36a.jpg Before that I was driving this.