Register now to get rid of these ads!

odd ball engines!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peanut, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Alfster

Alfster

Way too cool......... :cool: :D :)

Attached Files:

2. 5th Ave. Mike

5th Ave. Mike

3. Frank

Frank

Here you go..

Attached Files:

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here is mine...:D

Attached Files:

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

Wouldn't stake my life on it but the radiator looks an awful lot like Pope Hartford. Hard to tell but maybe a runabout-whatever looks great-Jim

6. rippintare

rippintare

'59 383 Merc, makes lots of power. Combustion chamber in the block

7. That would probably have been Fran Olsen.He used to live in Massachusetts and had a T with a Hilborn-injected 392 Chrysler in it.I remember he drove it to the Street Rod Nationals in St.Paul many years ago.I remember someone saying that he had built a T with a Lamborghini in it.

8. 5th Ave. Mike

5th Ave. Mike

Yep, my friend Britbike Jim says those are early Triumph pre-unit construction barrels and heads.:cool:

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it is a Pope, just wish this one was mine. It is the 50 hp Portola, currently residing in the Bertolloti collection in San Jose.

The Pope Hartford Fours are one of the greatest engines ever, a hemi cast into the top of the piston with a nice combustion space.

Bomb proof and ran forever...very competitive in the early dirt track AAA racing.

10. Alfster

Alfster

How about a 48 cylinder motorbike? Yes it does run.

Attached Files:

11. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

That thing will chase me through my dreams for the rest of my life :eek::p

12. 97

Here's the Packard I am putting in the Whippet Lakester. Shown here still in the Packard

13. farmer_joe620

farmer_joe620

why hasnt anyone said anything about the internation v8? my friend has a 64 international 1100 thats got a goofy looking ingine in it. looks alot like a dodge poly motor. i dont know if its a 304 or a 345? sounds pretty badass though. hes got it runnin straight piped to the back of the cab and its got its own sound to it. ive never heard any other v8 that sound like it. :cool:

14. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

15. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Did somebody say Crosley? How about a Crosley V8?
    From Car Craft Sep 1954 - Whitey Thuesen and Bob Montgomery built a Crosley V8 for a class F sports racer.

Two Crosley fours set on a machined steel crankcase at 45 degrees, two Amal carbs on each bank, and a really nice set of headers. It also had a neat torque-measuring device which operated a ft-lbs guage on the dash.

Attached Files:

16. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Bruce Crower (Crower Cams) built a 1931 straight-eight Nash for Bonneville. Pic from an article in Hot Rod Mechanix Mar/Apr 1988.

371 cubes - intercooled - GMC 6-71 blower or AirResearch turbo (depending on class) - Bosch injection - Crower cam (stock specs!) -etc. etc. etc.

197 MPH at Bonneville - whooooeee!

Attached Files:

17. RacerRick

RacerRick

They made a V12 version of that six that was litterally two sixes put together on a common engine block! Use that!

You could get the V6 in light duty GMC pickups so you should be able to get a bellhousing that will allow a truck transmission like a SM420 to bolt up.

18. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Briggs and stratton motor in a motorcycle....now that's odd

Attached Files:

19. I had a buddy in Florida with a '64 or '65 Pontiac Tempest with that 4 banger. Really was just the V-8 lopped in half. I never thought about a SD head...that's a killer idea. The car was an oddball too...had a rear mounted transaxle with independent rear suspension. I wonder what happened to it.

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i want some of what ever he was on...:eek:

21. Someone dug up this old thread... both of these engines, the Pontiac 195 and the GMC V12, are covered if you go back through it.

The 195 was produced 1961-63 with the rope drive and transaxle, '64 Tempest was the first conventional drive version and first year for the GTO.

If anyone wants cores I know of a few -

22. jimdillon

jimdillon

Guess I can call my Packard 12 odd as they only built 2 of them. It is a 299 cu.in. SOHC 12 cylinder, Hemi configuration. Built to test airplane engine design but really to go racing as AAA was 300 cu. in. at the time. Ram induction works pretty well as I have run it without headers and the flames out of the exhaust ports you can put a ruler on, front to back. The old photo is Ralph Depalma playing with the distributor prior to a race on the boards at Sheepshead Bay. The other is one of the photos in my shop a few years back.
    The only 12 to ever finsh at Indy (1919). This is engine #1- #2 went to Europe where is was studied by Enzo Ferrari (story on this in latest Cavallino (issue #149) or fall 2005 issue of Automotive History Review.

Hope to start on a reconstruction this January.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

This 16 cylinder monster is owned (or at least was owned three years ago) by the Petersen Museum in LA. It is two 350 chevies welded together with a common crank. The guy who built it ran a cast iron welding business and created it as both a business calling card and just to see what he can do. Loud as all shit. It needs those enormous tires in the back because of the torque!

24. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

1938 Bantam V-8:eek: !!

Attached Files:

25. peanut

peanut

i really got something going ? didn't I? i love all these odd balls! thanks all!

27. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

here's a '63 Rambler flat 6 i rebuilt for my friend.

the real "oddball" part is the E-stick transmission.

Attached Files:

28. 5th Ave. Mike

5th Ave. Mike

Got a couple here for y'all, remember the Ford Taurus SHO V6 engines that said Yamaha on them? They were based on the Yamaha FZ motorcycle DOHC 5 valve heads. Well here's a 2 liter V8 based on FZ cylinders and heads:
    [​IMG]
    Not impressed? Well how about this FZ based V16:
    http://www.callawaycars.com/v16/
    Only 4 liters and 550 unsupercharged horsepower, that should put some lead in your pencil. Redline is 10.5 grand, sounds good too. Let's see...now with a blower and some nitrous oxide...

29. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you need a copy of Peter DePaulo's book "wall smacker" i have a signed copy...

great post! i look forward to more fun stuff...

30. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1923 FORD T-BUCKET LOT #231 - RESERVE

2002 PMCCA CCA
    SOLD FOR $43,200

[​IMG]
    Full Size
    [​IMG]
    Full Size
    [​IMG]
    Full Size
    OPTIONS
    COLOR - BLACK
    TRANS - AUTOMATIC
    CYLINDERS - V-16
    VIN - T8765521

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Traditional T-Bucket hot rod. This has a lengthened wheelbase in order to accommodate the awesome 710 cu.in. Mathon V-16 engine. This is the first time this engine has been offered to the public. Incredible performer and very exclusive.
    [/font]

[/font]Sold at a 2002 Barrett Jackson auction. Sorry links to larger pics don't work.

If I remember right the engine is/was being built by a company on Long Island - where's Vic?