Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yellow paint.....the "most" yellow of yellow!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rogga, Jan 22, 2010.

1. corvette, fruehoff or viper yellow

2. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Sorry, don't know the name or numbers for mine. Sure wish I did. Anyone know?:confused:
    <---------------------

3. Deuces

Deuces

It's probably an old law... I don't think the cops would write you up ticket for having a curious yellow paint job now days..

4. Not the brightest (the color I mean :rolleyes:) but my favorite - the warm, almost butterscotch yellow used on Bob Kolmos' non-HAMB friendly '32 tub.

Steve

Attached Files:

5. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I've had one yellow car and I'll probably never have another. All I heard was wise cracks...most of which had to do with one of these:

[​IMG]

6. yes its an old law came out in 70 or 71 right after the color was introduced i think the "law" was more of a state mandate to chrysler so they wouldnt ship a car painted that color to any of thier dealers in that state i doubt a cop ever wrote a ticket for an illeagal color

i know a friend of mine painted his 73 charger curious yella and man on a bright sunny day everything within 50 feet of it was yellow

7. Is it Dupont that has "Nuclear Banana"?

8. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

tinted Ferrari "FLY" yellow....bugs loved it.

Attached Files:

9. brandon

brandon

straight yellow toner over white sealer. the number escapes me now. none brighter , because there isn't anything but toner in it..........i've used it on several vehicles and the only thing brighter is neon hok yellow.:eek:

10. brandon

brandon

that car is so cool .....and always will be. if you don't like , go look at some old crusty rat rods:p

11. Outlaw Bender

Outlaw Bender

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sikkens base yellow without any other added colors.
    Directly from the jar.
    So yellow it hurts..:cool:

12. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Anybody know the color of Morty's merc? I know the top is wimbeldon white but I'm not sure what the yellow is other than it has pearl in it.

sorry if this isn't what the OP had in mind...

13. what about minion yellow steve??? lol i want a whole pack of those myself

14. Sikkens, pure base Yellow

First Prototype of Chevrolet SSR

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  15. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Ferrari / Ducati have bar none the best Yellow.

16. I belive they use Sikkens, base Yellow

17. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

A better look at it. Anyone know the color name?:confused:
    [​IMG]

18. Strodder

Strodder

Piss Yellow. :D:D Just kidding. ;) I don't know. :confused:

19. Oxford Guy

Oxford Guy
    from Ohio

Pigment chemistry is one of my small hobbies, so I can provide an answer to the question.

There are two four main types of yellow:

1. Dyes (including fluorescent paints)
    2. Plant extracts
    3. Organic pigments
    4. Inorganic pigments

The first two aren't stable to UV, so they aren't used for painting vehicles (except, perhaps, for fluorescent paints which quickly lose their brilliance). So, we're left with organic and inorganic pigments. Of those, the most frequently mentioned so far in this topic have been lead and zinc chromate ("chrome yellow" and "zinc yellow").

The chromates are inexpensive to manufacture but are also toxic and polluting. Lead chromate turns brown (and sometimes greenish) with UV exposure. (It may also turn blacken due to exposure to sulfurous air pollution. I know lead white does that, but I'm not sure about the chromate.) Zinc chromate is more stable and also has a brighter/cleaner more greenish yellow color. It is commonly used as a marine primer.

There are several other major metallic (inorganic) yellow pigments. The two purest yellows are cadmium sulfide and bismuth vanadate. Of all the pigments so far discussed, only bismuth yellow is non-toxic. It's also bad for the environment in the long term, though, because bismuth is relatively scarce and can't be recovered with recycling once it's turned into paint.

Yellows that are lighter and more greenish have less saturation (color strength), but may be perceived as being brighter. Bismuth yellow is generally very much like zinc yellow, but is more stable to UV. Bismuth and cadmium yellows are considered "lightfast". Of all the yellows I discussed, lead chromate has the worst lightfastness.

A lemon chrome yellow is made by mixing lead chromate with lead sulfate (the same white compound that appears on corroded batteries). It's less intense and less lightfast than the deeper shades, but not by a whole lot. Chrome yellows range from a "school bus" orange-yellow to lemon. Chrome orange and scarlet are also possible, with scarlet usually being lead molybdate. They aren't lightfast, either. And, they're toxic. But, all the lead chromates/molybdates are inexpensive to make.

Cadmium yellows range from lemon to orange, with the orange having selenium added to the molecule and the lemon having zinc added. All are lightfast and cadmium yellows have more saturation (color strength), at least when unmixed with other pigments, than other yellows. The most intense cadmium yellow will probably be a "sunny" middle shade. So, the answer to the original question is: "cadmium yellow".

If you want a middle or deep yellow with high intensity that won't fade with light exposure, you should use cadmium yellow. It's expensive and polluting, though. If you want a lemon yellow you have the choice between cadmium and bismuth.

If you want inexpensive paint, I'd stick with zinc. Lead chromate lemon isn't as bright or as stable. The lead chromates do have one advantage over zinc chromate, though. They have better opacity.

Other metallic (inorganic) yellows are nickel titanate (nickel titanium oxide), Aureolin (potassium cobaltinitrite), zirconium praesodymium silicate, and titanium yellow (titanium zinc antimony stannate) -- also called "Turner's Yellow". Nickel titanate is a dull greenish lemon or a dull brownish lemon, depending upon the variety. Both are lightfast. Titanium yellow is a dull orangish yellow that's also lightfast and basically non-toxic. Aureolin is not very lightfast and is polluting because of the cobalt in it. Zirconium yellow is a dull lemon, non-toxic and lightfast.

As for the organic yellows... Organic yellows are basically not toxic, fairly inexpensive to make, and can be almost as intense as cadmium yellow. Their drawbacks are that they aren't as lightfast (fading when mixed with other colors or browning with UV) and have less opacity. If you repaint often enough and use a layer of titanium white underneath the coat of yellow, you should get a bright result with the right organic yellow pigment, though. Many paint makers today who advertise colors like "chrome yellow" are substituting organic yellows, probably mixed with titanium white for better opacity. Common organic yellows families are arylide ("hansa"), diarylide, benzimidiazolone, isoindolinone, anthrapyrimidine, quinophthalone, nickel azomethine, and nickel dioxine. More brownish yellows also exist, both inorganic and organic.

Organic pigments have one advantage over cadmium besides cost and toxicity. Organic pigments tend to seem more vivid when mixed with white. Metallic pigments like cadmium yellow tend to seem "chalky" (they lose intensity) and are best used straight. However, a cadmium-zinc sulfide lemon mixed with white will still be brighter in comparison with a lead chromate lemon (which, as I mentioned, is a mixture with white) because cadmium yellow is more intense.

You can read about yellow pigments on this site. It's about watercolors, but watercolor testing is usually good for gauging lightfastness (resistance to fading or browning).

Hope this is interesting!

20. kev65chevy

kev65chevy
    from louisiana

it look like fruehauf yellow

21. kev65chevy

kev65chevy
    from louisiana

it look like fruehauf yellow i need the paint code for dupont fruehauf yellow

22. Larry T

Larry T

I see lots of Corvette yellow posts. Which one, I think there are over 10 Corvette yellows?
    I can think of Sunfire, Sunflower, Daytona, Bright Yellow........... Give me time, I know there are more.
    Larry T

BTW, I think Fruehauf yellow is hard to beat.

23. [​IMG]

corvette yellow that's all I know

24. The Shocker

The Shocker

1976 Corvette "Daytona Yellow" with red and gold micro flake added in the clear...

Attached Files:

25. maniac

maniac

66 Corvette, I think its Sunfire yellow

[​IMG]