Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yankee 960 turn signal switch wiring help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fryguy, Feb 18, 2011.

1. fryguy

fryguy

Hey guys, I picked up and old 40 Ford truck steering column and box. It has a old deco style Yankee 900(?) turn signal. It only has 4 wires coming out of it, I assume two wires are for the front turn signal, one for power and one for the feed back for the little light bulb in it. I want to run this on my model A roadster. The issue is how to I go about wiring it up for the rear turnsignals. Some have mentioned that you have to run a seperate set of lights for turn signals since there doesn't seem to be a switching provision for the brake switch. Is there any other way around this? Or is running an extra set of lights for turn signals the only way? Would like to use this period switch but would rather not add another set of rear lights on the roadster. Any ideas

Fryguy

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Add another socket to your lamps if there's room - many older cars came that way new when turn signals were ordered.

3. fryguy

fryguy

Running a pair of 50 Pontiac lights, I'll have to check if there is room for another set of sockets. Thank you for that idea.

4. stampp

stampp
    from Minnesota

I have this same switch. If you unscrew the plate on the back, you should see 4 contacts where the wires are connected. One should be left, one should be right, one should be the load from the flasher - I believe it is marked "B" for battery, and the other I believe is the pilot from the flasher but I am not 100% on the 4th wire. This is a great switch for add on signals but a more modern brake/turn might be better for your application. In that case I would recommend a signal stat 900.

5. 24riverview

24riverview

Do you have a source for cheap relays? I tried to solve this in my head with just 2 relays but always came back to this. This will require a relay for each signal. The diagram shown is for the rear, the front would be the same just leave out the brake light feed. If you only had single element bulbs in the front you could substitute the park light feed for brake feed. The only wire not shown is a key on voltage source going to the signal switch at what was the flasher feed, no flasher is hooked to the actual signal switch anymore because it's only being used to operate the relays.
    [​IMG]
    Anyone else have any opinions? Have I made this more complicated than it needs to be?

6. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

I have the same switch. I'm going to try and put the 7 wire guts from a newer switch in the old yankee. I haven't taken the newer one apart yet so I don't know if it's do able. If it works I'll post pics.

7. Here are a couple diagrams I had previously posted. Both are for use of a 4 wire signal switches and one schematic includes circuitry for single contact front lights.

Attached Files: