Register now to get rid of these ads!

X Shift aluminum trans. case

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saltracer219, Nov 17, 2007.

1. saltracer219

saltracer219

Does anyone have any info on the X shift aftermarket aluminum trans case? I know that it will accept 55-63 chev 3 speed guts and it uses a late 30's chev top shifter top. Who manufactured this case and when? Has anyone here run one? thanks, Gary.....

2. hoop

hoop

The X shift was made by Offenhauser.I had one in a 34 Roadster . I think they came out 1962-1963.

Sixhundred sixteen likes this.
  3. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

my neighbor Floyd has one,it used to be bolted behind a Corvette 283 in his '37 Ford humpback,circa 1960-61? :confused:
    according to him,it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    his new plan is to bolt it up behind an old NASCAR 427 Chevy he has laying around,and stuff it into his '57 BelAir.

trad27 likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I have an article about it, pm me if you want a scan.

5. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

last year i put one together fo a friend its in a 40 chev coupe it has wayne head chevy in it . used 55-chev gears 37 chev top cover 55 ext houseing . whats neat is the short throw 1-2 2-3 .

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There's good info on it in the Petersen big book on transmissions from this time period. Basically an early chevy floor box, pre-1955 stuff, adapted at back for '55 up tail and '55 up gears, a closely related transmission family, all cast in aluminum. Took top and shifter as used on '48 type pickups, I think...
    It was to meet the need for a good floorshift trans without monkey motion side shift adaptation, but I think was killed by the sudden arrival of four speeds as the trans of choice for everything. Also, the basic '55 Chevy trans was starting to look pretty weak at the dragstrip. VERY rare now, I think it could be replicated in iron from Chevy parts. The way they made the prototypes...

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I hope he's got lots of spare X shift parts! Strengthwise, it's no better than a stock '55 three speed.

Sixhundred sixteen likes this.
  8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Stock class racers with 265's were regularly blowing the stockers by the ealry '60's...they have exactly the same problems and needs as early Ford trans, namely get rid of excess end play in all areas. There are some special tricks involving the synchro and second gear play, don't remember details.
    But no matter what, listen to Heathen--this trans has no place anywhere near a 427!

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The best thing for a '55-'65 Chevy three speed is a Hurst Syncro-Loc shifter. Overextending the gearset on the 1-2 speed shift resulted in a high mortality rate, and the adjustable stops and lock mechanism on the shifter's backside eliminated the problem. As cute as an X shift is, you're still trying to speed shift with a '37-'47 Chevy truck shifting mechanism. As Bruce said, the technology was already obsolete when it was released.

10. john56h

john56h

Did Chevrolet produce any aluminum case three speed transmissions like the 55-63 unit?

I have one from an old race car, but I'm unsure whether it was stock or made special for racing. Maybe Corvette?

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No, all Chevrolet assembly line units were cast iron.