Register now to get rid of these ads!

World's Fastest Indian -- The movie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by av8, Oct 17, 2004.

1. av8

av8

The movie biography of Kiwi motorcycle racer and New Zealand national hero Burt Munro concluded its location shooting at Bonneville on Saturday. It was all quite trouble-free, as these things go. Shooting ran a couple of days longer than planned, thanks in part to a requisite Bonneville afternoon breeze which knocked the pit location flat Saturday before last. The movie lads worked Sunday to put it all right and our small crew of car wranglers headed for SLC and a tour of Temple Square (which included an organ recital in the Mormon Tabernacle that had our ears ringing for hours afterward), and an afternoon spent at Stan Wanlass’s house near Alta, talking hot rods and checking out his incredible sculptures.

The vehicular star of the movie is Burt’s 1920 Indian. The original is owned by a collector in New Zealand and is far too valuable to be subjected to the rigors of filming, so a replica was built to take its place. Actually, there are three replicas – a complete version of the original, a second that is just a chassis and body and was used for camera-car action shots, and a third that’s powered with a Ducati twin and was used for stand-alone action sequences.

The complete replica as it arrived at Bonneville . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . and partially “aged” by a patina pro!
    [​IMG]

The motor-less camera-car version . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . and the Duc-powered runner, parked . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . being pushed off . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . and underway.
    [​IMG]

The camera-car with the scooter attached . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . and Anthony Hopkins (who plays Burt) about to climb in for an action closeup.
    [​IMG]

And speaking of cameras, here’s the primary “battery” of picture-takin’ machines, monitors, sound-recording gear, and generally busy folk. There were easily a dozen workers in this pod most of the time.
    [​IMG]

Anthony Hopkins as Burt.
    [​IMG]

Burt’s Stateside traveling rig, set for a shot of his arrival on the Salt. There were three near-identical Chevys, two ‘54s and a ’53 tarted up to look like a ’54. The patina-meister did his job so well it was difficult to tell the cars apart.
    [​IMG]

Tardel-supplied cars lined up on the first morning, like a fantasy used-car lot – roadsters, coupes, pickups, panels, and a bellytank lakester.
    [​IMG]

A great deal of time was spent on the starting line . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . with racecars and push trucks . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . and some staged drama as the starters take off after Burt who has crashed the line!
    [​IMG]

A rare photo-op presented itself when four famous old Salt cars were gathered together for the first time ever – the Pumpkin Seed, the Redhead, the Challenger, and the Flying Caduceus.
    [​IMG]

The pits were cozier than we’re accustomed to . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . and always busy and well populated with actors, extras, and crew . . .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

. . . including extras coordinators (cat herders) . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . and wardrobe ladies.
    [​IMG]

There were some nice scoots on hand other than the featured Indian, like Jeff Decker’s Triumph dirt tracker . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . his Crocker . . .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

. . . Jim Travers' tasty Ariel HS . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . Fritz’s vintage Triumph . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . and this gorgeous, brand-spankin’-new Indian Chief that showed up just for the hell of it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A week and a half later, after the dust – and Salt – had settled, all the cars were given a thorough de-salting Friday evening and reloaded on the transporters, off the Salt.
    [​IMG]

Damn! That was a great 12 days!

2. JamesG

JamesG

3. kentucky

kentucky

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

An adventure for sure. Thanks so much for allowing us alittle glimps into your world Mike. I, for one, appreciate you sharing your photos and commentary.

5. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks for this post Mike, I have been looking forward to it after you got back. Any more cool pix of your truck on the salt? Also, any pix of the bellytanks in the starting line? I posted a pix of the fab four this past week, I will search for it and bring it over here.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

[​IMG]

6. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Wow, what a fantastic report, Mike! I'm looking forward to seeing the movie now. [​IMG]

7. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Holy shit Mike, impressive,Thank you. how did you guys get hooked up with that deal?

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

What a scene! That looks like HRM in the days of Bob Greene and Don Francisco and Racer Brown...
    Shame it couldn't all be kept together as a Disneyland for Hotrodders...
    "You have to be THIS tall to ride the Challenger..."
    And I'd still love to see a tech sequel to the movie on that guy's techniques for casting cylinder barrels in holes in the ground and forging con rods outta scrap axles.
    Next, howsabout a movie version of "Saga of Rumpsville"?

9. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

Attached Files:

10. 55olds88

55olds88

Kool Pix Mike, mind if I forward on to a mate of mine who owns one of the magazines down here ?? I'm sure they would be interested in running a little story or even just the pics ? let me know by pm if ya like.
    I wasn't aware they were that far along in the filming... by the looks of whats there you could sell footage of the filming to gearheads like us !!! Sure looks like they are going all out on it and have involved the right people.

11. A very Special look behind the scenes. Just another benifet of the HAMB and people like you MIKE that make theis place so cool.

I'm sure it was a blast! Your truck fits right in there too.

How about some for pics or info on the cars getting a bath in the lst pic.

Thanks again Mike YOu ROCK [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. slammed

slammed

Hat's off to you!

13. D Picasso

D Picasso

Good Gravy- what a post. thanks a million. I'd love to read all the details you can muster.

14. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Very, very cool - thanks for posting!

15. Muttley

Muttley

Whats the name of the film and when is it coming out???? [​IMG]

16. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

17. WOW! Thanks for sharing Mike!

18. Thanks......!!

19. THIS is why I love the HAMB!
    Thanks for sharing it with us, Mike!

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

So how about a report on how the F1 performed and survived the ordeal. That thing looked so good in the few shots you posted of it. Do you have any more pics of it in the thick of the action you could put up?

Frank

21. av8

av8

The F-1 did just fine. I have no actual action shots . . . the background cars and trucks remained parked most of the time.

I did take it into town one night and made several trips to the World Finals pits Wednesday and Thursday but that was about the extent of its driving.

22. SimonSez

SimonSez

Looks pretty good so far !

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this movie more than Lord of the Rings [​IMG]

23. Mike, very cool pics and behind the scenes info. Thank you for posting. Sounds like you had a great time. Keith

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the great photos and report. I got to see the original Monro Indian at Hershey in 1988, and look forward to the movie.

25. Mike,
    That is so awesome that you could be a part of that movie! And thank you so much for sharing it with us. I can't wait to see the movie. Bert was an amazing fellow. Keep us posted if and when you can. Thanks again.
    Dave

26. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

[ QUOTE ]
    and made several trips to the World Finals pits Wednesday and Thursday

[/ QUOTE ]
    It was good talking to you again Mike. I drove over to the movie set once and snapped a few shots but pretty much just stayed out of the way and left. I'm amazed no one came over and stole the ELMOBILE(tm) and used it as a prop. The keys were in it. [​IMG] Wayno

27. Mike

Mike

Great stuff av8. Thanks for the post.

28. av8

av8

Wayno -- Sorry I didn't get back to the pits to see the '36 and visit some more, but Thursday and Friday got super-busy in the land of make-believe. I lit out for home at o-dark-thirty with Kent Fuller Saturday morning rather than hang out on the Salt another day. Eleven days of it was enough.

Congrats on getting the cars impounded! How did the record runs go?

Mike

29. [ QUOTE ]
    ...Eleven days of it was enough.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought I'd live to see the day that those words would pass your lips Mike. [​IMG]

Great pics and story as always mate.

30. Thanks Mike, great post. I'm going to share it with all my nonHAMB buddies that made the trek out last August. Wish my dad was still around, he would really have gotten a kick out of your photos. Thanks again!