Register now to get rid of these ads!

Women in Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 28, 2007.

1. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

I love those old photos, natch, but I would be willing to bet that there are far more "serious" female car nuts today than there ever were back in the good ol' good ol'.

2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I recall that Max Balchowsky always gave credit to his wife, Ina. Said she was the "carburetor guy" on his famous six-carb Buicks.

3. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

those are some hardcore chicks, where did they all go anyway?

id also like to add that tattoos belong on sailors and hot-rodders not chicks.

4. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Cool Blog Ryan:)
    Thanks for sharing ...i'm all about girl power, bringing one up as we speak!

I've taught her everything from music, skateboarding, collecting, art, motorcross, Chess and hope fully someday about cars ( i still have much to learn).

Hopefully my son will be able to learn from her as well on the many things she's accomplished in the past ten years.

awesome thread.
    peace,
    CAB

5. jonny o

jonny o

C'mon man, this is the kind of BS talk that keeps some women intimidated by the hobby we love. And yes, I do mean SOME. I hope one of the one's that's not will pipe in here.

6. ChrisinPhilly

ChrisinPhilly

I've allways wanted to know more about Rose Gennuso (sp?) who was a big name mechanic in the early 60's.

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I would very much like to meet your wife. Megan and I are always looking for cool hot rod gals to hang out with. I have sent you a PM.

How close are you to Hartsville TN? It's located about 40 miles northeast of Nashville. I'll be there next weekend with my 1947 Olds and it would be great if we could get together.

8. jimmydeansgirl

jimmydeansgirl

Hi I'm here good to meet you...hahaha ;-) I think most of the hardcore chicks are here on the h.a.m.b.

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

At least the ones that matter huh??;) :D

50 years from now will folks be wondering about this photo and making comments about the hot rod chicks from way back in 2007?

HotrodLadyCrusr, ChevyGirlRox, Mel, and JimmyDeansGirl
    [​IMG]

10. 2002p51

2002p51

Nashville is about 4.5 hours from us. But my wife and I will be down in Orlando at the PRI show next weekend.

Best bet for us to all hook up will be at a Goodguys show this summer. Are you planning on any in the East?

11. Lim34

Lim34

Retrorod.... Im also married to a " Hot Rod Chick", i do get to drive her car once a year when it goes for it's MOT inspection.
    Boy!! do i give some stick on the way.

[​IMG]

12. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

I'd be willing to bet that the girls on that list who started out at the grassroots level of racing still turn wrenches on their own cars. At out local track, we're seeing more female driver's every year, and they all know the in's and outs of their car. There are some on that list who I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't know, or care to know, about their ride... Either way... Hot Rod chicks rock...:D

13. jimmydeansgirl

jimmydeansgirl

Yea and they better not say we were just there for the excitement, and not the cars..hahaha

14. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

"this is the kind of BS talk that keeps some women intimidated by the hobby"

Sir I do believe you misunderstood me, females have the same place in the hot rod realm as I.

but BS or no, in observation to the photo, I make note that the chicks dont have tattoos and wonder where they have gone. "chicks without tattoos that is."

15. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

"Hi I'm here good to meet you...hahaha ;-) I think most of the hardcore chicks are here on the h.a.m.b."

Ha nice to meet you. i hope thats where they are!

16. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Nows theres one for the Future history books! Let me get my flux capacitor fired up and I'll go check it out!

17. lrseclipse

lrseclipse
    from Dallas, TX

what about hot-rodder chicks with hot-rod tattoos? ;)
    to each his/her own.

what an awesome blog!!! really great pictures!

i wish there were as many chicks into cars as guys these days, it sure would be easier to make friends.
    glad to see there are plenty of educated car womens on this forum, im sure i can learn alot from you gals, and hope to meet y'all soon :eek:

18. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Heres my best friend helping prepare the coupe for flames. She'll flame my ass if she finds out i put this on here!

Attached Files:

19. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Let's not forget the contributions these women have made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Without that first one, there wouldn't be a Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle!

20. Retrorod

Retrorod

I like that middle picture, she's slightly crossed-up.....power on, reaching for the shifter to grab another gear!! Awesome.

21. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan,
    Great post!!!! I am a certified car nut. I have helped my husband rebuild motors and restore a couple of willys coupes. I also wish that more of my female friends were into cars as i am. I just don't enjoy learning how to knit or scrapbook (not that theres anything wrong with that) it's just not my thing. Now sitting on a bleacher and watching a willys go screaming by at 110mph that to me is absolute heaven. I have become friends with barb hamilton in the last few years. She was the first woman to receive her NHRA drag racing license even before shirley did. Her willys is a down right animal. To see the smile on her face when she's under the wheel of that thing is priceless. To me there is nothing any better than having the ground under your feet shake when a high power car drives past. I'm getting excited just thinking about it. So to all of you woman out there who love your cars and getting greasy I say GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!! My love for cars will never lessen only get stronger.:D :D :D

22. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Man I love that shot of the girl doing the one handed sideways smoker with the other hand on the jockey shift and one foot on the clutch, and smiling all the time. One tuff mama right there. Looks like the flagman is lifting his foot before she trims his toenails with the back tire. I love it!

23. Lim34

Lim34

ChevyGirlRox.

Im in the UK in a large well established car club. Alot of the wife's now have a variety 32', 34' and 37' Ford convertabiles. It must be something to do with the wind in your hair !!, lucky alot of us blokes are a bit short in That department.
    Ian

24. MonsterGarage

MonsterGarage

speaking of women and cars.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPgHNoVIS7E

don't know which link will work
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PPgHNoVIS7E&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PPgHNoVIS7E&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

25. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

I think you said it perfect... I couldnt of said it better myslef!!!

dakota kid

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Look at the photo of the 4 of us. Do you see any tatts? "We" have not gone anywhere. I can't speak for the rest of the girls BUT I would rather spend my money on car parts then body art.

Come to the Lonestar RoundUp in April in Austin TX and we can all get together for a cocktail or something and chat about hot rods and hot guys. Megan and I will be there and Kisam (Kathy, from your area) as well as ALOT of the Thunderbolt's gals who are now called the CherryBombs and have their own cars. We're just normal car girls, not "scenesters" into drama. Looking forward to meeting you.

27. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

Great thread. I agree with Rox, it is very hard to find balance. When my mom, who is/was never a hot rod lady got her race car she said in no uncertain terms was I to race it. Two years later, I got behind the wheel of it and have not looked back. I love it when I hit the staging lanes and the guy who winds up running against me goes 'dang I gotta race the girl!'.

On the other hand, I've been insulted many times by so called 'hot rod guys' who seem to think that if I show up dressed in heels to a show that I have not built my own car. One guy asked who's car it was, I said mine, he said never mind you won't know...I got mad and said I probably do, well I didn't know what backspacing was on that certain type of wheels I was running, but man don't shoot me down before you even talk to me!

I enjoy the best of both worlds, I dress up for shows, but when I have to I get just as dirty as the guys.

28. lrseclipse

lrseclipse
    from Dallas, TX

That would be AWESOME! We could always hit up Guero's for some good ol' 'ritas! it will be great to meet some gals who aren't into all the drama. the local forums have hit a downward spiral because of it

i don't know if i can keep up with y'alls' car talk unless you wanna talk about forced induction, but im sure ill learn alot from yall :D i havent rebuilt a carburetor since high school. ill hopefully be drivin a new project down there, looking forward to meetin you gals!

29. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

This photo is cool as hell!
    Anyone know more about her?

30. autobilly

autobilly

Chicks have been part of hot rodding since the start. Life is alot easier for guys like us if our wife/girlfriend digs cars.