Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods wiring sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ponyboy49, Oct 6, 2009.

1. ponyboy49

ponyboy49
    from wisconsin

Hey all.
    Just about to begin wiring my 69' 350 sbc in a 49' F1. Ive been looking @ wiring diagrams online for similar applications. I have a rough idea of how its supposed to go. And when I say wiring i mean just enough wires to get it started a driving. No lights or accessories. Couple questions. I am running a stock distributer and coil. Do I need a ballast resistor which I have noticed in some wiring diagrams? Does a power wire from the battery lead to the fuse box directly or at all and if so should I use a junction block like I have also seen in some diagrams? Is a fuse box neccessary to start the motor? I would assume that if not there should be an inline fuse somewhere. As you can tell I am a wiring virgin. Also does anyone have a useful wiring diagram they could post? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Remember, type slowly Im just learning. I'll try to include an example or 2 of what I have been studying. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. yes, you need the ballast resister. what alternator are you using? (internal/external)

3. evltwin

evltwin
    from Milford MI

Do you have an internally resisted coil? If your coil is internally resisted then it is my understanding that you do not need the ballast resistor.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  4. TERPU

TERPU

Really simple stuff. You need a wire from the starter to the Starter terminal on the switch. If you are trying to use the old button DON'T. It grounds out and will not work. But if you want original go to the parts house and they make two terminal ones that look OG. Battery to Starter big terminal directly. Good solid ground cable from battery to frame and frame to block. This is probably the most important. Power wire from ignition switch to coil, this is the wire that will need the ballast resisitor. This is just to start, you will notice nowhere in here is a VR or Gen/Alt. that's step two. This is even easier if you have an HEI. You just run a power wire from the switch to the Dizzy.

Step two for the Voltage regulator and the Generator. If you are using an Alternator step up and buy the internally regulated one it's just alot easier. Run the wire directly from the Alternator to the battery with no breaks and use heavy wire. For the Volatage regulator just follow the diagram for the one you are using and don't forget to polarize it. Two wires run from the Generator and one from the Battery most are easily marked with BAT,FLD,PWR. But unless you just have to have the Genny use the one wire GM alternator.

Couple things of note- Use the right resistor for your coil, good ground on the motor to frame to battery, Use a good quality switch because this one's going to be here a while and crappy ones burn alot of cars up. Take your time and remember electricity just wants to go to ground and anything in the way is a resistor to slow it down and take some away. It always makes a circuit from source to ground help it get there easily.

Good luck,
    Tim