Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gtreasur, Apr 2, 2013.

1. gtreasur

gtreasur

I've had to rewire my old AD truck and I have new wire tail lights. One wire for blinker and one for tail light. Do I run the wire from the brake light to the same wire the blinkers are using?

2. 26 roadster

26 roadster

what kind of "blinker" are you using.

3. if you are using a dual filament bulb like a 1157 one filament will be taillight and the other filament will be brake and turn signal......if you are using a turn signal switch with the brake light going through it

what do you have for taillights? are you using two separate bulbs?

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If properly wired at the dash/brakelight switch, you don't need a second wire for brake lights. The brakelight switch backfeeds the same wires used for turnsignals.

5. gtreasur

gtreasur

I bought one of those aftermarket turn signals. Everything is supposed to run through it instead of through the headlight switch as before. Except the wiring diagram that came with it only shows one wire going to the tail lights, i'm gussing for the blinkers. I'm using two wire tail lights with 1157 2 filament bulkbs. Right now I have one wire to brakes and one to the blinkers. All works fine, I just need to change it and rn another wire for the tail lights when I turn on headlights.

6. gtreasur

gtreasur

o.k., so apparently I don't have the brake light wired up through the switch so it will backfeed through the turn signals.... Thanks guys.

7. taillights come from the headlight switch...that wire can power both taillights

your turn signal switch should have a wire for left rear turn/brake and another wire for right rear turn/brake. your brake light switch should be going through your turn signal switch

how many wires are coming out of you turn signal switch? you at least need power in from flasher , power in from brake light switch , RR turn brake , LR turn brake , LF turn , RF turn

8. gtreasur

gtreasur

o.k., small problem. My blinker switch has one hot wire going to the flasher, then I have a hot wire that goes to one side of the brake light switch and the the other side of the brake light switch goes to the red wire on the blinker switch. both blinkers now work, and the brake lights work, until I have the blinker on and hit the brakes, when it back feeds through the blinker wire I blow a fuse, I thought that was how it was supposed to be wired?

9. rfraze

rfraze

We are only talking about controlling or switching the power input for two wires which go to the bright filament of bulbs on the left or right rear. The turn signal switch directs or decides between power from either the brake light switch or the flasher for each of the two wires. Turn signal off- both bright filaments get power from brake light switch (when depressed). Left turn switch on- left bright filament gets power thru turn signal flasher, right filament lights only when brake pedal depressed. Right turn switch on- right filament only gets power thru turn signal flasher, left only when brake depressed.
    Sounds like you need to test wires to see what each does or get a diagram. Stay away from the horn wire, because that is ground. Do a continuity test on each wire while pressing horn button to figure out which is horn (may be black). Establish which wires go out to each bright filament (including those to front turn filaments) and make up your own diagram. So far, you should have, at least, three of the wires diagrammed. Next, figure which wire is input for brake switch power by connecting a jumper wire to one of the remaining wires and looking for both brake lights. When you find the correct wire, switching on the left turn signal should turn out left side bright filament. The remaining wire that lights (with jumper) the left bright filament may be the one that output from flasher gets hooked to. Try testing the right side the same way. Then attach the output from brake light switch to the wire that lit up both rear filaments. The output wire from flasher can then be hooked up to the wire which is controlled by turn switch. Finish your diagram for future use or post it here to help others.

10. Cymro

Cymro

Does anybody have a drawing, wiring diagram, and where do the flasher units go, I need to wire the flashers in mine in the next couple of weeks, any advice would be appreciated.

11. Here is mine! I used a vintage 5 wire only signalstat. Hope this helps. Click to enlarge.

Attached Files:

12. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

13. gtreasur

gtreasur

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it.

14. rfraze

rfraze

Great diagrams, but the problem comes in when you do not, or can't, add turn signal lights, or, like in above diagram, a separate brake light. Our cars need a way to use the same filament for two sources of power. That requires some sort of a switch, like a turn signal switch. What they do is simple, but to make one is a bit more complicated.

15. gtreasur

gtreasur

Thanks guys, everything is working great now. I switched out the sockets in my front parking lights with new ones so I could use 2 filament bulbs, switched out my brake lights with new 2 filament ones. Now I have front and rear driving lights, front and rear blinkers, headlights and brake lights.......***ting in tall cotton now!