Register now to get rid of these ads!

Willys Two Door Sedans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Anybody know of any real 37 to 40 two door Willys Sedans? I seen a few years ago but its been some time since I have seen or heard of one. I know they are very rare. I am not talking about four doors welded up. Real two doors sedans have rear side window garnish mouldings. Anybody know of one?

2. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

My friend has a real 38 two door sedan.. dont have any pics though.

3. From what I understand theyy were welded up 4drs from the factory? Or was that later years? There are two or three here in town sitting,waiting.

4. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

If the factory did weld them then why would they make a special garnish molding? I guess we need some experts to clear this up.

5. ooops

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  6. There is one up here. I've been pestering him on buying it for a couple years. Hes become friendly, but not willing to sell yet. I dont remember it looking welded up.

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  7. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I cant say that I have ever seen a 40 Willys two door but its listed in the books, for what thats worth. I hope somebody in here has some pictures they can share with the interior removed.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  8. 30 years ago I knew a fellow (Nate ?) in Kingsville, MD who had a factory '41 2 door gasser. All the jams for the rear door were there, but I can't remember seeing a weld between the door skin and rear quarter panel.
    Didn't realize there would be a test in 2010!

9. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I am positive there was never a factory 41 or 42 two door Willys sedan.

10. ooops

11. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

The 41 / 42 did have the extra side window. Just because a real two door is rarer than a coupe does not make them worth more. Want to talk rare, how about Willys woodie wagons, or convertibles, there was a few american convertibles made.

12. No they never made a 41 or 42 2dr sedan, only a 4dr sedan with a goofy "opera" window.

Attached Files:

13. ooops

14. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Or stamp different quarter panels for them? (at least in 39)

It appears there was a 'Standard' and 'Deluxe' 2 door sedan in '39, each had their own part numbers for their respective quarter panels....

Source: Motor's Factory Flat Rate Manual and Shop Manual, 1942

CC

Attached Files:

15. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Thanks Chuck, amagine buying a 1/4 panel for less than 10 bucks! Better yet, buy a new Willys for less than 500 bucks! I wonder why they only list a 2 door 1/4 panel for 1939?

16. The Tudor quarter blank has a different P/N because it doesn't have any provisions for the door handle, latch, etc.. There were no 1937 tudors, only 1938 and 1939, and with then selling less than 15,000 cars total each of those years there was no sense in any other difference in tooling to make a tudor sedan. I don't even think the welding was that extensive, most of the seams were leaded up.

17. Weasel

Weasel

No 1940 two door sedans either - 1938 and 1939 only - the latter both as a Model 48 100" WB mechanical brakes, 48 hp, looks like '38 and the Overland 102" WB hydraulic brakes 61 hp.

Urban legend has it that five roadsters - no crank up windows - just coupes with the roof hacked off, rear and doors capped, soft top folding with rudimentary side curtain were made in the US. One was made into a gasser in the 1960s in PA. The first one was made for FDR and sits restored in the Little White House in Warm Springs, GA.

Also reputedly five woodie wagons in 1940 (and five in 1941). I have a real 1940 Willys woodie project and a friend of mine has a restored stocker. There are two more confirmed out there - one in Napa and on in MI. A fifth is rumored to be in SoCal and I spoke with a Willys guy who claims he has seen and touched it. I know of three 1941 woodies and I have original period photos of what appears to be a 1942 Willys convertible. The Aussies built many variants of their own including roadsters and tourers - there were several coachbuilders producing low volume Willys bodies of their own unique design - too extensive to go into here....

FDR Willys Roadster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1942 Willys convertible

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1940 Willys woodie wagon - stock restored:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Ah yes, a "Peoples Car" for FDR....................

19. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Al Maynard's, Mi.

Attached Files:

20. Weasel

Weasel

I believe Al Maynard has two woodies - both 1941. One beige/tan stock and the other is the rodded one in your photo.

21. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

There was a 41 Willys conv. in the Phoenix area over 20 years ago. It was an old Gasser. Was in Hemming motor news for sale.The car ended up in Phoenix.It came out of PA.Total rust bucket. Did not have to have open the hood to see the ground. Had an early Hemi motor in it. Had Magnesium American 5 spoke rims. I checked it out very close to see if it was a coupe with the roof removed. The paint was about all missing due to rust. The body had 2 straight lead seams behind the seat,not the same as a coupe. The doors did not have any seams or welds as if the doors were chopped off [the paint was missing due to rust]. It also had the top assy for the Conv.Very rare car. Was sold to some one out of state.I think it was sold for $9000 back then. I have owned 2 39 2 dr. sedans over the years. Neither one had doors welded shut or metal inserts installed where the rear doors would have been.They were solid panels. Might be a difference between west coast and east coast Willys???

22. Here's a shot of my 1940 Willys taken in 1975. I purchased it as an untouched stocker with an original title. As you can see, it does not have the extra rear quarter windows or the bubble trunk lid.
    [​IMG]

Willys offered both versions.

23. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I love this info, thanks to everyone. I know about 10 years ago I was at Don Waldrons place when he still had a ton of Willys, he had a floor from a woodie but I cant remember what year it was. I took alot of pictures but none of the floor, it was different from all the other Willys. The Humpback 40 sedan was a deluxe, yes you could get a 40 sedan without the hump. Don's place is where I saw a few real two door sedans and he showed me the inside rear garnish moldings were removable in a factory two door and not in a four door. Whenever I see a two door the first thing I do is check the moldings and most are welded up. Since we are testing the experts here, whats the wheelbase in each year. My understanding is 41/42 is 104" and 39/40 is 102" and 37/38 is 100" is this correct?

24. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

1940 Info........

Attached Files:

25. Weasel

Weasel

The woodie floor is all wood from the rear seat riser backward with an opening hatch to access the spare wheel - otherwise it is identical to a sedan.

1939 model 48 (continuation of 1938 Model 38) mechanical brakes, 48 hp and rounded 1938 style nose is 100" wb. The 1939 Overland with hydraulic brakes, sharknose and 61hp engine is 102" wb.

Rich Venza's 'stocker' looks a little suspect to me - factory mag wheels? Front bumper is 1940 De Luxe but hood trim is standard or Speedway model and I have never come across a true 1940 with a flat trunk - doesn't mean to say it does not exist, but after many years in the Willys game I have yet to see one that has not been converted with a 1937-39 flat trunk lid. The problem is that you cannot take as gospel everything the factory put out literature wise (to wit the 1933 Model 77 brochure shows a convertible - never built and a panel van which seems not to have materialized until 1935) there are no absolutes in the Willys game....

26. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Ok here is the kicker, if this is not a 1941 Willys Woodie floor then what is it?

Attached Files:

27. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Back when they were cheap! Or alot cheaper..........LOL!

I forgot I had these till this thread got going, man I took a bunch of pictures that day, glad I did. I got the Willys bad!

Attached Files:

28. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

29. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

30. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio