Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Wildwood Classic carshow -cancelled ?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSURFER, Aug 7, 2012.

1. the Wildwood Classic car show set for spetember 20-23 has been canceld!! call 1-609-523-8051 any one who has preregisterd will get a refund http://www.thundermoto.com/

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. click the link http://www.thundermoto.com/

3. StukaBomber55

StukaBomber55

Debating on still going regardless...........

4. we are still going!!!

5. brownies72

brownies72

I heard it was just the monster trucks that are going to be cancelled.

6. click the link-car show -moster truck and motor cross events are cancelled :(

7. Koz

Koz

This has always been the only show of the year that I really looked forward to. I have been in contact with Irene, and trying to get some stuff going down there but the Mayor, to the best of my knowledge has been less than receptive. Admittadly, this used to be a much better show before Thundermoto took over. In my opinion in reality they weren't car guys, more into motocross and monster trucks and as such really were missing the mark. Irene was receptive to suggestions but the writting was on the wall.

I'm going to call Irene and get the word from the horses mouth. I'll get back to you!

8. Koz

Koz

If we have enough guys maybe we could hold an unofficial anti-show. If it was the Citys' fault then they deserve to get screwed!

Man am I pissed!!!!!!!!!!

9. Koz

Koz

According to Pat at the Chamber, no one really knows why it was cancelled. The Chamber recieved an E Mail this morning from Thundermoto breaking the news. To the best of her knowledge there was no prior indication of anything in the works.

She did mention that the City was scrambling to see what could be done to salvage the show.

10. the notice on thunder motor sports web site is dated 8-1! your pissed?? my wife i planned our vaction on this show !!!!

11. Koz

Koz

Don't give up yet. The Chamber is trying to sort things out and keep the show on. I reality this could be a good thing. If they are smart, and put the right person in charge, the show could get back to being downright outrageous.

Some years back this was the show to go to. All the big guys were there and you could see a lot of the magazine cars on the boards. When the boardwalk wa full for the full 2 1/2 miles they filled the lower lots. I don't know if anybody remembers when Saturday night was open cruise, (read no following the cops around the block), and no stock cars were allowed on the main drag, only rods and customs etc.

Who could forget the days when the Thursday night kickoff at the HArbour Inn lasted until the sun came up and when the Dubs rocked the old Convention Hall with the Mongose and Garletts rails flanking the entry ramp when you went in. Used to be a very HAMB friendly place pre-Thundermoto.

Let's see what happens in the next few days. Irene isn't answering her cell or at home but I'll keep you posted.

12. cool deal -koz pm- me i was hoping to meet up with some fellow HAMBers down there -regreatably i will be driving a non Hamb freindly car this year

13. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Chuck
    A bunch if us go down every year as part if a fall reliability run. Well be going either way and with only a month away I'm sure it's going to be on one way or another. Perhaps well run into each other

14. for sure jerry,lets see how things roll maybe we can getogether a hamb meet and greet-unfortunetly i will be in a my nonhamb friendly sbc powered s10 pick up

15. Koz

Koz

Update.... In speaking with a prominent member of the Hotel/ Motel Association, who shall remain nameless. There will be hell to pay if there is no show! The GWCOC is activly working to put things on a level keel and will keep us informed.

In the long run this may very well be for the best. Thundermoto knows monster trucks and motocross but their knowledge of cars is pretty shitty. They are really nice folks but the change in promoter could well be the best thing yet if they can get a car knowledgable promoter. In my opinion, from my somewhat limited observations of interactions between Thundermoto and the local organizations, the inability to get along was pretty sad. Somebody with a little finess could have gotten anything they want from the locals. All they want is hotel rooms filled and the visitors happy. Their whole job is making people want to come back. It seemed like everything had to be drama or the day was wasted. There are a lot of the locals like John at Jaun Pablos, (big bar and restaurant up town), who were asking "what can we do", which went unanswered.

Don't even slightly want to sound like Mr. Obama but it is time for change!

16. 270283

I would love to see the show return to its old ways. As Koz said, the Boardwalk was packed with cars and the cruising went til the wee hours. It was like American Graffiti on steroids!

17. Koz

Koz

Exactly! I will do everything I can to stay on top of this and if I can help in any way in getting this show back on track you can bet my two cents will be in. There are some guys on here, and justifyably so, have bitched in the past about the show being muscle car oriented. This only happened when the numbers started to fall because of some pretty crappy management. They dropped the pre-64 thing and took just about anybody willing to pay.

The show needs to go back to its roots and bring back the people who made it what it was, not just a cash cow to be milked, which real car guys can see through in a minute.

18. you may have saved my vacation koz!! I owe you a few beers!

19. slant37

slant37
    from Holland PA

I would like to see it return to the old way it was too. We have not gone in a couple of years. We are going to OC Maryland car show this year in October, giving that a try. Denise

20. Koz

Koz

When the dust settles a bit and we see what becomes of this I will get a slot before the Chamber which actually promotes the show and the Hotel/Motel Owners Assoc. to plead our case for the return to the Old Ways. They are very receptive to anything that will fill rooms.

21. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

22. s19243h

s19243h
    from pottstown

im going down with a few club members in our cars regardless its a good gettaway

23. Koz

Koz

We're going no matter what as well. I'm not surprised Thundermoto is in the hole as you can read by my earlier posts. The in reality drove the show into the ground over the last few years. For aThundermoto this was a "for profit" venture. They did not appear to have any real car interest, from my dealings with them they could have run a cat show with as much enthusiasm. I'm not picking on them, I just think they had no idea and they are really nice people, just the wrong people.

Large shows require fiscal responsibility just like any other venture. In my opinion they had a lousy rapore with the city fathers and there was no patching it up. The City needs money owed to it. It's not fair to expect the taxpayers to bailout an organization that didn't keep it's ducks in line. I know the city kicked a lot into this show and I don't blame them for not letting it go on. Sooner or later somebody's gonna bitch and heads will roll.

Let's just push to get the right promoter running this.

24. Koz

Koz

Since there seems to be a HAMB friendly contingent who is going anyways we might think about having a Friday or Saturday night meet up at on of the clubs and throwing our own party. If anybodys interested I know the clubs pretty well and maybe I could fnd out if One of the bars is having a good band where we could all get together?

If there's interest I'll through up a thread just for this so everybody knows where everybody else is.

25. how bout you koz?? I think you would be a great promoter !!

26. Koz

Koz

I wish!!!!!!! That job would be almost as good as Ryans!

27. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

Went last year there were 6 HAMB approved cars .....??????

28. Koz

Koz

We had more than that at the Safari! One of the things that Thundermoto did was to destroy all the reasons for registering for the event. The real show for the last few years was on the Motel lots and under the hotels. If you walked around there were a lot of HAMB friendly cars but you didn't see them on the boards. Even I admit I wouldn't pay in the $50 range for the only benefit being a lame "hang" at the Imperial 500 and you get to park on the 'boards for two days until three o'clock in the afternoon then they kicked you off.

I know all things change but you used to get a kickoff party, burnouts, 'board time, free parking just about anywhere, access to the Friday night cruise, which was the best around, a Saturday night bash in the old Convention Hall with a big name band and a load of other stuff that encouraged you to fork over the coin. You didn't mind coughing up when you got something for it.

So where'd the money go? Last year there were 740 registered cars + residuals. Thats roughtly $37,000 in registrations alone. I can see where they were hurting as Thundermoto virtually ignored the swap area, which has been a near vacant lot the last few years. Your vendors at any show are always a big part of your revenue. I suggested they delegate this to an outside operator like Scarry Larry, and just take a piece of the action. Never happened.

The list is endless that was never acted on. In short, the HAMBers are there, just not part of the lawn chair crowd like a lot of shows these days.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just so upset that this was handled so poorly.

29. Koz

Koz

A quick update based on my conversation with Irene from Thundermoto today.

Several things came to light. According to Irene , who is the head honcho there along with her husband, the newspapers' report on the situation is not entirely factual, and only reported the Citys' side of the dispute.

Once again, according to Irene, the City is not owed the 40G by Thundermoto. The funds are escrowed in a dispute with the City. If the City would take care of their legal obligations the funds are on deposit for them.

Thundermoto placed their list of grievances before the City back in June and once again according to Irene, the City failed to cooperate. She feels the Mayor is not a supporter of the car show and as such has stonewalled negotiations over some very important issues.

As of today, it looks like the Hotel /Motel association is going to run the show, at least for this year, so things are on again. (I thought this would happen as soon as cancellations on rooms started coming in).

Every story has two sides and I feel I have presented Irenes side as closely as I can. Hopefully this matter will be resolved for the good and we can get on with the party!

See you guys at the American Safari, 5701 Ocean Avenue.

30. Thanks Koz!! I will be in touch with you-this is our first year doing the wildwood car show
    but long time wildwood vactioners