Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why so few A frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louisb, Nov 26, 2014.

1. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

My '29 coupe is sitting on a Model A frame. I used a Tardel K member to strengthen the frame. I kind of like the look of the frame horns in the front. Cycle fenders in the front, bobbed stock fenders in the rear.

Pete

Attached Files:

2. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

Model a frames for me. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417052201.028758.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417052252.779434.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417052559.785756.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

My '29 special coupe sits on a model A frame z'ed and stiffened up with a Tardel K member. I run with "cycle fenders" ('35 spare tire rim) up front and bobbed stock fenders in the back. I kind of like the look of the front frame horns. Don't get me wrong-- a 32 frame looks very nice too!

Pete

Attached Files:

4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

OOPs--my apologies for the double up!

5. JimSibley

JimSibley

A full fendered a on deuce rails would be awesome.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. A frame built to last, and drag race. Was heavily modified in the early 60s. picture028.jpg

7. louisb

louisb

Good looking coupe. It seems A frames were popular in the '60s with the Fuel Coupe look.

--louis

8. Squablow

Squablow

I didn't see it mentioned, but reproduction '32 frame rails are also a big part of their popularity. Stuff you can buy brand new is going to get a lot more use on current builds than original stuff you have to seek out. They were popular 60+ years ago as well, but for new builds, that's gotta be a big factor. Are there any repop A frames that could pass for originals? There could be, but I don't know of any.

9. A Boner

A Boner

This blue Model A has a Rolling Bones style front end. That is how you get the front of an A framed hot rod nice and low. Notice how the split wishbone doesn't have the long bracket hanging down to mount the rear of the wishbone.
    image.jpg

10. A Boner

A Boner

Squablow, JW Rod Garage sells a welded up perimeter "A" frame for under $800!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  11. I think wescotts still may sell nice A frames.

12. I had people ask me why I put my 34 on a 33/34 frame, when I could have put it on a deuce frame. Simply put, it's a 34 not a 32, and I like the 33/34 frames.

I brought home a 31 A frame from an auction last weekend for the next project. It'll be an A coupe on an A frame. Always thought the deuce frame was a bit overdone, even if it is traditional.

13. Bigger, badder and best has always made up the "majority"… and over the years the definition of a "true hotrod" has become a highboy roadster on 32 rails with a later flathead, toploader and banjo rear — depicting the era in hotrodding where all things came together as good as they ever could have…according to the majority.

On a person to person level…it's all about preference, budget and desired outcome.

For me it's a choice based on the visual weight of the frames vs. visual weight of the bodies.

You don't want your car looking like it skips leg day at the gym (all top and no bottom)…or the reverse…all bottom and tiny up top. Proportions do matter.

That's one reason why guys do partial channels when putting A's on 32 rails. Also the reason Pinkee's rod shop makes a lower side profile 32 rail.

14. louisb

louisb

Yeah I have always though an A roadster on '32 rails looks just right where as an A coupe looks a bit heavy. Getting it low with a hard chop or a light channel helps.

Thanks,

--louis