Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Why roadsters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Note: Read through the entire opening post; there are several parts to the title question.

First, a poll. I believe it's not possible to embed the poll in the text of the opening post, but if I could, it would go here. So, go there, if you want to participate in the public poll.

Poll question: Do you think that roadsters are the best?

Poll question with details: Do you think that roadsters are the quintessential (I didn't use this term in the poll because I'm not very fond of it, at this time) old car?

I'm not putting my thoughts and opinions in the opening post.
    ----

Do you know the etymology of "roadster"? Press the first "spoiler" button to compare answers.

The term "roadster" originates in the United States, where it was used in the 19th century to describe a horse suitable for travelling.

I'm thinking that another way to phrase that is:
    "a horse that is good to take on the road,"
    but I suppose that depends on if that term was commonplace, back then. I'm guessing that "-ster" is because "roader" doesn't sound right, so the "-st-" was added. But maybe that's just bias from usage of "roadster" and not "roader."

There's also this from the Wikipedia page:
    "Initially an American term for a two-seat car with no weather protection..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadster_(automobile)
    ---

Note: I might be post followup comments that are a continuation of this opening post. And/or I might decide to start another thread (I'll post a link in this thread, if I do) about roadsters that's similar (but different) and also has a poll question.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    LCGarage, CSPIDY and Sharpone like this.
  2. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Is this a trick question... o_O

3. I think roadsters can look great, but I have had a couple with no top availability and found I used them less due to weather conditions. I also prefer the safety aspect of having a roof in the small possibility of a rollover…

4. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

It's hard to define the best. Consider French fries. Some people like Mickey Ds, some like Wendy's, and I'm sure there are many other that people consider the best.

I'm building a roadster. But I'm also working on an ot mini. And my tastes in all things automotive range from brass era vehicles to relatively new 2 door sedans. And a lot of vehicles in between. And the only car I've ever had that if I could, I'd like to get back?

A 1985 v6 4 speed Fiero. Talk about ot. But it was the most interesting, irritating, irrational and all of the other terms, car I've ever had. Go figure...

Ned Ludd and A 2 B like this.

5. brady1929

brady1929

In my opinion nothing beats a 1932 1933 1934 ford 3 window or 5 window coupe. Even though I have a 28/29 ford roadster project.

34 5W Paul, Sharpone, Lil32 and 9 others like this.
  6. brando1956

brando1956

I get it Dave. I had an 86 GT. Will regret selling it until they screw the lid down on me.

Dave G in Gansevoort and A 2 B like this.
  7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I think of early hot rods a roadster and a coupe of some sort almost always come to mind. For me, it's roadsters. Can't put the top down in a coupe!

2OLD2FAST, A 2 B and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Roadsters, Simpler to build and always look cool..... but a coupe is better in the wet.

Lil32 and A 2 B like this.
  9. Dang that spoiler button witchcraft is cool.

Personally I think Taildraggers, lowriders and log trucks are the absolute best. Roadsters look great with the rear bumper bout to drag.

you can tote a lot more people and parts in a school bus as well. Just saying

10. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Solely on geographic location (above 42' N), I prefer a closed car that can be driven in inclement weather, stretching the season somewhat. Nothing against roadsters. I think everyone should have one...and a place in the ever rising sun. lol

deuceman32 likes this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I define a roadster as this because it’s the only one I’ve ever owned. Now a convertible is a totally different animal in my opinion. IMG_1239.jpeg

12. I’ve got a 4x4 roadster. So does my son
    Removable windshield that folds down
    No roll up glass and a canvas top.

13. Brian Penrod

Brian Penrod

No!
    I'd give $100k for a basket case Willys coup before I'd give $1000 for a $100k immaculate roadster.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Given the option, I would normally choose things topless.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

never had a roadster but rode motorcycles when I was younger, I'd say I would not enjoy a roadster out on the freeway unless I was wearing a helmet. not for safety, but the wind in my face would suck the fun out of it..

A 2 B likes this.
  16. 05snopro440

05snopro440

I have an A roadster pickup project, they're cool, but closed vehicles can be just as great.

lothiandon1940, Andy and A 2 B like this.
  17. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I built about 15 package steel deuce roadsters for customers for about 10 years starting in the early 2000's. Good money makers, quick to build. I had a theme and it worked. I'm looking at the pictures under the glass on my desk and I see 8 finished deuce roadsters I did for myself and I may be missing one or two? Roadsters for me have been both profitable and fun to drive and own. I rarely drive my current Henry highboy, getting old. Also I'm in the middle of one last Flathead powered deuce highboy roadster that when it's completely fit and finished to my standards and ready for paint and interior will be sold.

19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The term "roadster" is American slang. We all know that a roadster is a topless two seater car And
    A car with a non removable top is a coupe. So, is a car with two doors a coupe and a 4 door car a sedan?
    I've had both, roadsters and coupes. I prefer the coupe because I want to stay out of the sun and the rain.
    I prefer In-N-Out fries over any other because they're fresh peeled, sliced and fried on the spot.

2Blue2, Lil32 and A 2 B like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There was a time when fenderless roadsters were the end all in the deuce game for me. The three window hiboy was "it" when talking deuce coupes, now, the full fendered five window is what really gets my attention, especially when it has the perfect stance .
    I don't recall what year it was but I'll never forget seeing Gary Kesslers' yellow scooter in a magazine the first time.
    The real memorable moment was when I actually witnessed a hiboy roadster going down the interstate (at speed), my older brother was driving but wouldn't speed up to get a closer look, it was some distance ahead but there was no mistaking what it was with the back end up high and those big rear tires, it just seemed "other worldly" to me.
    I think it's this shot of the Kessler roadster that sparked this kids' desire to have a deuce hiboy roadster one day.
    upload_2024-2-11_11-25-51.png

21. I know the roadster pony class at the fair is flashy, fun and a little unruly. Ponies that don’t make the big time are always welcome in the roadster class.

22. Growing up, dad had built a T rdstr. So it's a sentimental thing.

23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

IMG_3704.jpeg

Finally had to sell my Zipper after 24 years as it was difficult to get in and out of at 82 years old

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Hardtop all the way. Too cold in the fall and spring. Too much sun in the summer. Rarely ever comfy unless you’re traveling in the early morn or late evening.
    Just like topless woman. You only see that in private and rarely in public. Roadsters are good to look at but I never enjoyed them on the road.

49ratfink and Hillbilly Werewolf like this.
  25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Kessler's roadster, started a look that is still the build to look for lots of builders today.

lothiandon1940, Lil32 and Just Gary like this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Roadsters were simpler, lighter and easier to deal with back in the early days and many race associations only allowed roadsters in competition.

I love roadsters but can't see myself loading up in one to head to Texas for Lonestar and To Visit the sisterinlaws.

27. 35/36. The high water mark for production roadsters IMG_7024.jpeg

28. It's a love/hate deal........ Try a convertible first....At least that's a start........ You have to be in it for the long haul, or get back on the porch...........

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no… IMG_2451.jpeg

30. Outback, winduptoy and WC145 like this.