Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who knows the story on this track nose - esp. the insert?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This has to be one of my favorite cars ever - even though I don't know much about the car itself I love the way it looks. The track nose is one of my favorites and I know I've seen this particular insert used on a couple of other cars. I think I even remember a caption saying something about it being a cast piece and a certain builder made several - don't remember the builder's name though. Small picture of a car running flat out on the lakes....could have been in HOP UP? I've got some serious rethinking to do.

Attached Files:

2. racer5c

racer5c

Call Barney Navvaro and ask him his number is the same as it was when it was in the magazines in the 50's that's how i called him

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Now here's my car. See that nose? See that nice big curve on the nose and how round it is? Looks great doesn't it? I love it...it sucks. You can't find a goddamn radiator anywhere to fit inside it. And I'm told anything that will fit is so short it won't cool. (including the chopped mid thirties I was going to run) Can't put it forward of the axle either...the inlets are impossible to get to like that. I'm pretty good at taking what I have available and making it work, but this has me bummed.

I am only lacking about an inch on each side to fit a good radiator in there. An inch that would easily be available if the nose was a little more square. I'm not officially saying I'm taking this nose off...or making another one. But I am saying it would be much easier to get a working radiator if I did.

Attached Files:

4. raven

raven

I would think you could use a smaller radiator if it was aluminum.
    Just a thought.
    r

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Can't put it forward of the axle either...the inlets are impossible to get to like that." There are available cast aluminum hose doglegs for flatheads, designed to solve various problems with later flatheads in '32's and A-V8's. Maybe 2 or even 4 of those might help with a rad dropped in front of the X member.

6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

look into a fork lift radiator they are really small but have 5-6 row core.

7. I patterned mine after the Spalding Brother's #43 track roadster... which incedentally has the same insert as the Navarro car.

My effort is the best I could do at the time using what I had to work with... which was a '53 Chevy pickup cab and some aluminum and steel. Mike Bishop hung out and documented the build, which will eventually go to print.

Pat Ganahl zoned in on the grille when I had the car at the March Meet two years ago... he said the name of the guy who made them up, and also knew who had each one that was cast. If I remember correctly, someone also has one hanging in their shop that never made it onto a car...

The reason I've always liked this grille is that is is stubby and does not stick out past the tires... or even the drums... mine could be perfected in the grill area... the band that surrounds the grille could be made thinner and have some curve to it so it blends into the shell. It also needs to be lowered another inch or so, it makes the hood that Steve made for it look like it is going up hill (even though it is over an inch lower than the cowl the way it sits.
    Sam.

Attached Files:

8. JamesG

JamesG

Heres some more shots of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It's tough. Track noses are wierd. I love the nose on the Navarro car - but not so much on the Spalding Bros. car. I love mine because I made it and I think the shape is nice...but several people have told me it's shitty and looks like a welding helmet. [​IMG] The Niekamp car has a near perfect example - but in a totally diferent way. And the Eddie Dye car looks at least ten times better without headlights - I'm getting off track. Space is wierd inside that nose.

Bruce - I've tried so many radiators so many different ways inside this thing it's unreal. If I could fit something in front of the axle with more than half an inch of clearance between the outlet and the axle I would start on the mount and figure out the plumbing later. Just had a thought that maybe I should drop the radiator down and face all of the outlets forward ...then plumb everything through the space left at the top. Might sound rediculous - but not out of the question.

raven - Everything I've ever read said that copper is a better heat conductor than aluminum...I thought? Maybe I'm wrong. An aluminum radiator would look wierd and prob have to be custom anyway?

10. The way I got around the problem... I mounted the radiator BEHIND the crossmember and the track nose in FRONT of it... the nose comes back up over the crossmember to hide more than half the radiator (so it doesn't look lame with the hood off.
    Sam.

11. raven

raven

Custom job...
    What id you had tanks top and bottom but the bottom tanks' outlets where on the outer sides?
    You know, pointing away from the center of the car?
    then you could pump the lower hoses toward the radiator and then down to meet the outlets at the lower tanks...
    That way you coud mount the radiator lower to fit the nose.
    just thinking out loud here.
    r

12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, I got NO room. First car. No real build plan and have actually changed plans several times in mid build. When I started two years ago I had no backround in hot rodding - some might argue I still don't. I treated it more like a car shaped sculpture than a piece of machinery. It helped in some places and hurt some others obviously. Original plan was to put a straight six in it and the track nose was a way to glean some room without pushing a grille shell too far in front of the wheel centerline....A track nose gets away with this a little better. The flathead found me and the six was kicked to the curb. Good thing since there's no way in hell it would have fit...the flathead is TIGHT and I'm 6'2" or so....still thinking.

13. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

grim,
    there was a story in rod and custom a while back,this older dude was building radiators of any shape,and water flowed around the tubes,with the tubes paralell to the airflow.
    he called it the "heat sponge".
    might wanna do a search on it.
    looked to be quite stout.
    hope this helps.
    later

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The deal is if I had the dough for a custom job I wouldn't be over here pissing and moaning. And by the way, no room for outlets on the sides either. Anyone want to buy those pretty headlights you see in the picture? [​IMG] My life isn't that bad if this is all I have to worry about right now huh? Still frustrating though.

15. raven

raven

How much for the lights?
    r

16. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

[ QUOTE ]
    grim,
    there was a story in rod and custom a while back,this older dude was building radiators of any shape,and water flowed around the tubes,with the tubes paralell to the airflow.
    he called it the "heat sponge". might wanna do a search on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the HAMB's own "Smokey" (right?) and it was on the HAMB first!

BTW... How's that thing coming anyway? I miss Smokey's tech....

17. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Man, that heat sponge starts at about a grand too. I think I'm down to either spending money to chop the flathead radiator I have and doing everything I can to make sure it cools - fan shroud, etc. Or building a different nose... I'm going into hiding and no one will see me or what I've done until my car is running. See you all in a few more years. [​IMG]

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Choppit til it fits and hope for the best. You can always spend lots of money later if you have to.

19. lilbill

lilbill
    from arkansas

put the radiator in the trunk

20. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

And I've got NO TRUNK. Anyone want to buy a track nose? It has HISTORY. Hahaha.

21. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Those guide 682C's?
    Round or pointed marker lenses?
    E-Mail some pics & price please.

22. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Grim, send me a outside pattern, and a sketch, have I ever let you down before!

23. Rand Man

Rand Man

Grim,
    PM me on what you want to pay or trade (I'm talking about a lot less than the "heat sponge"). I've been planning to design a plate and tube heat exchanger for my "A" project. I know it will work.

24. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

There are a couple of guys out here that are running radiators out of forklifts. They're short, have a 4-or-5 row core and you can find them relatively cheap. And from what these guys were saying, the air flows through them pretty well and keeps the motor running cool. I don't know about where you are, but there are a ton of places that do forklift parts sales and repair out here. Might check into it, it would be worth it to save that cool track nose.

25. MattStrube

MattStrube

Grim,
    Your car is a 28-29 right? I'm just sayin...(You can totally insult someone as long as you put that term in front of it, but I'm just voicing my opinion not trying to tick you off. [​IMG] Example: "I'm just sayin" honey you could lose a few pounds. Try it, it works)...I think a T-roadster looks good with the track nose, but not the 28-29. I like the looks of the original shells on the 28-29 and that's what I'm going to use. [​IMG] Plus their only $110 or so and are real shiny if you want some chrome up front. Anyone got a picture of one?

26. The nose and grille on the Navarro car was made by Art Ingles - Body Man for Frank Kurtis - Father of the Go-Kart. Sure is a great looking car

Bob

27. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

smalls - It's a 30-31. And track noses don't look good on a 28-29? Just last week weren't you accusing someone of only having taste in thier mouth?...I'm just saying... [​IMG]

BobbedT - Thanks for answering one of my original questions. I had almost forgotten I'd asked it - found the info last night by the way. Also found a picture of a '27 ran by Wes Cooper and Bob Hayes that looked very similar to the Navarro car. Nose was a bit shorter - or hood longer depending on how you look at it. But beautiful in the same way. It's that grille/insert that does it.

smalls - Here you go man. Enjoy. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

28. Rand Man

Rand Man

How much radiator room do you have? If you had 20” x 22” a sprint car radiator would be a good choice. It doesn’t need to be installed exactly vertical. The forklift radiator is a good idea if you could find one that both fits within your space constraints and has the required heat transfer capacity. Many forklift models have engines of less than one liter. Your flathead runs around four times that size. Having the exhaust valves in the flathead block makes cooling the old gal more of a challenge. I will grant you that forklift radiators are oversized compared to what the same size engine would need going seventy on I 435. The fact is somebody should "do the math". Good luck finding one “relatively cheap”. I looked-up a mid nineties Toyota forklift radiator, and the list price was $751.00. If you could find a used forklift radiator I know it would have been rode hard and put away wet.

I have worked with heat exchangers for years as Mechanical Engineer. I could build a radiator similar in concept to the “heat sponge”. I’m willing to barter for model A parts.

29. try these guys.. they will build you a custom radiator

http://www.afcoracing.com/

They are pretty reasonable. I got a radiator from them where they chopped several inches out of a "stock" sized 32 radiator and it was the same price as the stock 32 radiator- something like $425 at the time

I've never had any problems with it other that when a rock hit a tube and created a leak when I used to run without any grill

car runs really cool(too cool actually) no matter the conditions

plus they have stock radiators for racing ( that are alot cheaper) that might fit your shell

30. MattStrube

MattStrube

Grimlock said [ QUOTE ]
    smalls - It's a 30-31. And track noses don't look good on a 28-29? Just last week weren't you accusing someone of only having taste in thier mouth?...I'm just saying...

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect use of "i'm just sayin" [​IMG] I think the Navarro car looks tits, maybe because the narrower profile of the T matches well with the track nose? The picture you posted looks good too. Matt