Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where did you put your tunes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60olds98, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I mean besides the typical glove box location or making a console. I'm looking for new ideas that leave the stock dash alone. I have an MP3 player with a remote but I want to put it in a unique place that is different than most other peoples cars.

2. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

my is under the front seat

3. I did this in my 49 plymouth I used to own

Attached Files:

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

5. 59pache

59pache

I mounted a under seat amp and made two low profile boxes for 6x9 speakers and ran the wiring under the cab. I use a aux cable from the amp to a I pod or I phone. It's really clean. And nobody knows it there unless they remove the seat.

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I separated the face from the radio box, mounted the face recessed into the dash, and mounted the radio box sideways behind some panels under the dash, the cd now pops out through a slot in the passenger foot well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

What are I tunes .

8. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

That's so badass!!!!!

9. my friend some guy on here put a newer (70's or so) am/fm inside of his stock '50 merc radio. I'm thinking of removing the face piece for a detachable face radio, putting the unit under the seat and the control unit behind the sun visor.

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if you get a pac audio SWI-X unit, you can mount a few hidden buttons in the car for basic radio functions, like volume and scan, the unit learns the remote codes from the radio, and mimics them. It has a tiny infrared LED that you can mount hidden with the radio. It's originally meant for steering wheel controls, but it can be used easily with buttons and resistors

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

the only issue I ran into, is I had to use an HDMI cable for it's better shielding, I cut the cable in half, and used a coupler to connect the halves. Some people try to use twisted pair cables, but have had issues, I would use an older radio with a detachable face, the more complex the display, the more likely it won't work. Some people have also had issues going more then six feet from the radio box, it's serial data, so the weaker the signal gets, the less chance it will work

12. Thanks, that good to know. I was going to hit the internet for tech info and go the learning curve part, so all the info I can get will only help.

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

the swi-x unit I mentioned, I believe each unit can learn 12 functions, if you are handy with fabrication, set up an old AM radio with a micro switch for each push button or use existing switches on the radio, each switch gets a different value resistor, this will allow an original radio to control a modern radio hidden away. Just make the radio illumination work and it will fool everyone :) each button is user programmed to whatever remote function you want, you can even program a couple of buttons to change IPOD functions if it has a remote control

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I hinged the old radio front and mounted the cd player behind it.

Attached Files:

15. I robbed an overhead console out of a conversion van and put the stereo in the middle where the switch panel would go. Just a flat piece of wood that goes across about 6" back of the top of the windshield frame, mounted to a piece of thin board that comes up and meets the frame just above the visors. Bottom is uhpolstered. Has a door on each side with some storage, easy to reach, but not obvious, especially on a low car - I like it so well I'm going to see if I can't make something like it for my '50 Chevy.

16. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

I plan on installing mine the way Ryan did his. No head unit, just an amp, speakers, and a mp3 player. This way you don't have to cut into the dash or anything.

17. badshifter

badshifter

My tunes come out the exhaust and occasionally the back tires.

18. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you don't have to install the radio in the dash, the unit I mentioned earlier would let you put a few chrome buttons somewhere or hidden for basic radio functions, you can even put the radio in the trunk. You can also get a remote repeater, this allows you to use the radio remote no matter where the radio is mounted. If you remote mount the face, you can put the face under something that swings out of the way, and put the radio box somewhere else. There is a picture somewhere earlier in the thread of the face hidden under chrome trim

19. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

I need a BIG trunk :cool:

Attached Files:

20. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

I put mine in here.. Next time--I won't use a head unit like this though.. I'll just use an MP3 player..

:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

A lot very cool ideas and great work.
    I just put my under the seat and use my remote,not neat as cool as some of these idea posted.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Amen.

23. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Tunes? Do not need no tunes in a hot rod. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. Just pulling you chain. If you feel the need by all means do it your way.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Like I told the kid, "Your musics not too loud, its just like OKC, it sucks!"

24. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if anyone needs any help or technical advice on this stuff PM me and I will help you if I can, I've done some pretty trick stuff

25. When you turn the ignition, tunes come out the rear of your car...

Sent from my iPhone using the bet damn app on the planet!

26. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Idea I had for the Morris Minor: build deep armrests for the doors, and give the driver's door armrest a flip-open top with the radio etc. underneath it. I had a conventional car radio in mind, mounted with the face upwards. Not sure how that would handle the frequent physical shocks of closing the door, though.

27. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

"Rock and roll has bin' goin' down hill ever since Buddy Holly died" - John Millner.
    Blown Flathead in a roadster with a Halibrand... you couldn't hear Ginger Baker's two bass set-up if he was sitting beside you. Just my experience.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

At a planetary scale Ginger Baker is sitting beside me. I believe he's living in Port Elizabeth these days. Never met the man, though.

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ilike my music so put mine behind the hinged speaker grille in my 40 dash, plays
    CD,DVD,MP3,SD,USB,TV,Bluetooth, Remote Controlled, You can't see it.

Video of it working

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

these 3 are the best ive ever seen.
    Wish i had enuff space behind my dash to do the same. i simply stuffed it under my rear seat.