Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Whats the best way to get an engine shipped?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CayoRV, Oct 25, 2014.

1. CayoRV

CayoRV

OK so I bought an engine from a fellow HAMBer and now need to figure out a way to get it
    from the Lincoln, NE area to SW Michigan. Normally I would just jump in the truck and
    grab a buddy for the road trip, but too many obligations right now will keep me from that option as it would be bit too far for a run out and back. (I'm getting too old and tired to do it without stopping overnight at a minimum.) So my options. Anyone know a good (reasonably priced) shipper? I don't need it here right away but would like to not impose on the seller for storage too long as I am sure he would like the space.
    HAMBers with room coming through Lincoln heading east with room to get it a bit closer?
    Other suggestions?
    Like I said above, I'm in no hurry, but would like to get it out of sellers way sooner rather than later.
    What have you guys done?

Chuck

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

http://www.engineshipping.com/
    Great people, Shipped a complete funnycay body coast to coast for $700
    They are brokers, but always find me the best deal, and they stay on top of it

3. big M

big M

I'll give a good second to Engineshipping.com Used them many times over, always with good results. Best advice, have the oils drained, and strap the engine to a small pallet or skid so it will not roll around. I shrink wrap it afterwards then affix the destination label and bill of lading to the shrinkwrap, this prevents the engine from getting 'Lost'.

---John

4. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

oops my post got deleted. Get insurance.

5. Try Fastenal, they ship anything on a pallet for cheeeeep

6. 35desoto

35desoto

I used BenD here on the HAMB recently to move an engine and trans from Illinois to LA and his effort and care was second to none - I'm half a world away and never had a moment of doubt once I asked him to help me. He sent me updates as he travelled around and even sent a picture of the cast iron wonder sitting at the shippers place in LA

7. They do, but it seems more difficult lately. I'm having a hell if a time getting a third party logistics shipment deal closed with them. It could just be the people I'm dealing with because the fast rotating staff at my local store had no idea this service even existed. thank goodness the hamber that bought the stuff is patient.

But it is cheap for sure and reliable as can be. For example, furthest one I did was a 60" tall pallet from Ohio to Washington state coast and that was 150.00. This latest one is a 84" tall pallet from Ohio to Dallas ft worth Texas for 175. Takes about 7-10 days once its in their system.

8. oldsman41

oldsman41

being an ex trucker my advice to you is 1 get it insured 2 crate it up not open on a pallet they will stack all kinds of freight on it and if it goes ltl carrier it might be moved from trailer to trailer 3 or 4 times. if you can find a hamber or one of the enclosed trailer guys on the hamb it might be better.

9. CayoRV

CayoRV

Thanks for the tips guys. I like the idea of using a fellow HAMBer for the move and
    will get ahold of BenD.

Chuck

10. aaggie

aaggie

Ask the seller if he will meet you halfway if you pay his expenses. Might work.

11. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i bought a french block a few years ago and got it through yellow freight. took my pickup down to the dock and they loaded it up with a fork lift.

12. CayoRV

CayoRV

Well I heard back from BenD and he wasn't able to help as he didn't have anything scheduled for that area. He did recommend I try engineshipping.com also. He also mentioned Bill's Autowerks. I guess I will try them tomorrow and see how that goes. I like the idea of asking the seller if he could meet 1/2 way for his costs, I guess all he could say is no and I would be back to where I am now.