Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What is this car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 37 Yankee, Mar 23, 2024.

1. 37 Yankee

37 Yankee

My wife found this photo of a 2 dr car. I have looked for most of the day with no luck! It's got me baffled. Does anyone know what it is? Make, model and year and somthing about it would be great!!!
    Thanks in advance!

upload_2024-3-23_19-17-59.jpeg

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

1951 Simca 8 sport coupe

simca.jpg

3. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Mark that took 6 minutes, did you know that off the top of your head, impressed

Flynn's_57 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

nope, right click, google image search

5. That’s one I have never seen before.

6. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wonder if it’s got a flathead v8 under the bonnet ? My Cousin had a 6x6 Simca army truck that had a flathead v8 .

7. Wikipedia says they came with a Fiat-designed 1221 cc inline-four engine.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    chryslerfan55 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  8. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

There were probably a few of them imported, but the picture looks more like something I would expect to see around a military base when someone brought one back home from overseas. Wonder how they performed. Time for google.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. I just noticed the fat tire vehicle next to the car.

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

That's pretty handsome. Aside from it's size, it would be something to hunt.

41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

1953-fiat-8v-supersonic-ghia-engine.jpg

The FIAT V8 in a FIAT. Bob

12. j hansen

j hansen

13. 37 Yankee

37 Yankee

WoW!!! That was fast! Thanks! The car looks like it would be a sure keeper by present day car hunters. I sure would like to have it! I wish I knew what happened to it. It's probably been recycled into a washing machine or something by now. One can only hope it got saved by someone that cares. I'm going to talk with the people that owned the property where the photo was found. I know the parents used to race MG's. Maybe the daughter knows something about the Simca.
    Thanks!!!

chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  14. BJR

BJR

Is there a way to do that on a Mac?

partssaloon likes this.
  15. j hansen

j hansen

Same thing.....

16. BJR

BJR

I should have explained, Macbook Air. No mouse, just a touch pad.

17. I'm not sure on a Mac, but try a two-fingered tap on the touch pad. On a PC that responds like a right-click and opens up an options menu. On a Mac it may be something like a "Cmd+Tap" to open a similar menu.

18. I was wanting @Moriarity to give some details on what he did. Right-click and "reverse image search" is an option? I get this right-click menu, but I'm on an ancient computer running Windows 7 using Firefox for a browser:

upload_2024-3-24_7-13-2.png

49ratfink and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Some of them have a curved front windshield, and some of them have flat-glass split windshields. It looks like all three of the pieces of back glass are curved. I don't get it. I prefer the split windshield, but if they're able to manufacture curved glass for the back, why wouldn't they have put a curved windshield up front?

What a cool little car. The rear rooflines remind me of a 1949 Plymouth business coupe. And, notice how good it looks without a "rake."

upload_2024-3-24_7-28-14.png

upload_2024-3-24_7-32-17.png

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
  20. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

It works when Google Chrome is running. I think Chrome puts the add on in the menu. It doesn't work for me if I click a file on my machine.

The car is very cool looking. If it came with a Fiat 1221, is probably crying out for an engine swap. Hood looks long enough for a straight 8. Mike

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. In the picture that started this thread, it looks like it has what could be "sombrero" hubcaps. Or maybe different years had different hubcaps.

Squablow likes this.
  22. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

you were probably thinking about the car below, which was the French Ford Comette and did have a V8-60 or the bigger 239 ci unit. Ford of France got taken over by Simca later, but this, which was out at the same time as the Simca, was made by the same coach-builder (Facel Métallon) as the smaller Simca.
    3-2.jpeg

-Brent-, V8-m, Okie Pete and 5 others like this.
  23. Maybe 5 years ago there was a barnfind Ford Comette for sale on PreWarCar for less than 1000 euro :eek:. I think in Belgium. Needless to say it sold in a wink :rolleyes:. ( and thats no early April Fools joke )

24. RodStRace

RodStRace

What I do is click on the Copy Image Link. Then go to bing or google and click on Images, then where they ask for the image link, paste (Ctrl+V) the image link. It worked a lot better a couple years ago at finding images, but it still gets some results and similar stuff.

chryslerfan55 and ClayMart like this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

sorry, can't help ya with that. windows 11 and google chrome here. when I right click on a picture one of the options is "search image with google"

26. SR100

SR100

The Simca 8 was a four cylinder. It was never available with the Fiat V8. It’s not clear how Simca came up with the model name. When it debuted, the Simca 8 had a French tax rating of 7cv. When they bored it out for the 1950 model year, it had a tax rating of 9cv.

27. I'd bet it has something to do with the backlight and side windows being tempered glass and the windshield maybe being laminated.
    :cool:

Beanscoot and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Using the Google browser, right click on the photo and select
    Search Image with Google Lens

29. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I prefer the old black and white pic as it makes the car look lower and wider...

30. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Someone obviously time-traveled from 1989 and did not yet get the brief... There's one which comes out for shows here in Austria. This one has a Y-block fitted back in the day. Had a pic somewhere but I cannot find it.