Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What are you working on?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While the mice are away...
    The truck is at the roadster show so the lift was free. Time to give the roadster some love. Changed the oil (AmsOil 20/50), changed the tranny lube (AmsOil synthetic), swapped out the hockey pucks for Ford motor mounts, new spark plugs, and an undercarriage detail. Bring me some summer!

2. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

Busy weekend, so only got out in the shop for a little tonight. Put the oil pressure sending unit, fuel pump and exhaust manifolds on, then called it a night.
    I was inspecting the distributor a few days ago before I dropped it in, and to my surprise noticed a good .003-.004” estimated slop in the shaft laterally! I boxed that up to get mailed to the guy up in Minnesota who restores my distributors. That will hold things up a bit, but I’m busy enough with other projects in the shop, that it’s no big deal.
    IMG_1001.jpeg IMG_0999.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    natrlgas49, Okie Pete, enloe and 7 others like this.
  3. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

nothing like a mill sitting on an engine stand getting ready to go iinto service...

Okie Pete, 67drake and loudbang like this.
  4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

5. SuperDuperDoughnut

SuperDuperDoughnut

This is going to be the year of cheap projects, and finishing jobs I've got parts to but put off.

[​IMG]

Lowering blocks installed; 2" blocks I milled down to 1-5/8" to minimize scrub line issues (still have to shorten the U-bolt still). My jack puked it's guts while I was getting jack stands under it. Luckily it happened slow enough I was able to get the jack stand in final position.

Okie Pete, enloe, Dave Mc and 12 others like this.
  6. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Access cover for trunk lid IMG_0964.jpeg IMG_0966.jpeg

Okie Pete, enloe, Dave Mc and 10 others like this.
  7. Running brake lines on the 41 and taking a break from that to start the process of finishing these valve covers I quit working on last May.
    They were the crinkle black ones, I honestly believe they put the "finished" rejects into the crinkle paint pile.

20230509_164027.jpg 20230511_095146.jpg

Whomever was dressing them after coming out of the mold got a little overzealous on the belt sander, I've removed a lot of material to get the deep sanding marks out.

20240321_173040.jpg

Okie Pete, enloe, saltflats and 10 others like this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Working on getting moving again after having a cardiac procedure a couple weeks ago.
    Come ON.
    Tired of draggin' ass.

saltflats, 67drake, Dave Mc and 10 others like this.
  9. Get well soon Ricky!!!

saltflats, 67drake, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  10. Coming from a guy with severe heart issues, don't push the healing process, just take it slow and ease yourself back into life.

enloe, saltflats, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  11. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Polishing the shiny bits under the hood while waiting for the new alternator bracket to show up. The county dumped a lot of salt on the roads in anticipation of a big snow storm that so far has failed to materialize. I might as well get it done now so the truck is ready once spring rains wash away all of the road salt…

image.jpg image.jpg

Okie Pete, enloe, rod1 and 13 others like this.
  12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

33 Vicky Genoa4.png 33 Vicky Genoa6.png 29Genoa3-24.jpg 29GenoaR.jpg My son Jesse helping me, I'm laid up during recovery. from bladder surgery, also have COPD . he's been washing vacuuming my cars and driving them , 33 needed a battery, 29 needed tires aired up, top off brake fluid, drove to Genoa,Nv. ten miles each way from my place and took some pics.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    Okie Pete, enloe, rod1 and 10 others like this.
  13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I can relate to the getting going again, , not easy, nI am also on oxygen 24 / 7 , catheter in my pecker, now I know what they mean when they tell ya " Get Hosed "

enloe, saltflats, brading and 2 others like this.
  14. Spent some time getting this Cad intake repaired, cleaned up and polished. Still more polishing to do...

Edmunds 2X4.JPG

Okie Pete, enloe, rod1 and 9 others like this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Laminated dash knobs for my corvette, didn’t have any 1/4” red but I did have 1/2”…. IMG_8984.jpeg
    Glued the red and white together and put them on the lathe IMG_8989.jpeg

made em the same shape as the stockers but a little bigger in diameter IMG_9004.jpeg

sand and polished IMG_9002.jpeg IMG_9006.jpeg IMG_9005.jpeg

Okie Pete, Jeff34, enloe and 31 others like this.
  16. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Wow that is cool!!

Moriarity likes this.
  17. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

IMG_1070.jpeg IMG_1081.jpeg IMG_1088.jpeg IMG_1086.jpeg I’m getting close to the point where I can drop my rebuilt engine in. So I just put a couple brackets and such on yesterday as I figured it’s easier to do on the stand as compared to when the engine is in the car.
    The carburetor I kind of had put off to the side, as I can’t install it yet, as I’m bolting a lift plate to the intake to drop the engine in. The other day I noticed the accelerator pump had pretty much frozen up in the 5 years the car has sat. So I ordered a rebuild kit thinking I would just replace the accelerator pump. When I took the old one off I found so much crud in the carb I have no choice but to do a complete teardown and soak.
    The car was actually running decent when I pulled the engine back in 2019, just low oil pressure and the heads were long overdue for a valve seals. I had rebuilt this carb in around 2015, so was surprised what a mess it was inside! Today’s gasoline! I don’t ever remember seeing rust like this in my younger days, some crud, but not rust residue. Oh, and the wrong kit arrived at the parts store. Found one on Rockauto, so I’ll have to wait a few days to put it together.

18. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My son Jesse, also did the fluids and air in my 48 and took it to Genoa, 20 miles round trip and took some pics.
    I have been on oxygen for a year, and haven't driven anything except the daily driver to store or Dr. appointments.

48Genoa8.jpg 48Genoa11.jpg 48Genoa2.jpg 48Genoa10.jpg

19. IMG_9392.jpeg Stripping and welding up holes in firewall.

20. That ‘48 is gorgeous! Wowza.

Dave Mc and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  21. Poor boy polishing my new skinny slots…. Bought some fancy polishing stuff and decided compound and my buffer work as well as anything.

IMG_9510.jpeg IMG_9511.jpeg

22. No pictures but I spent the day piecing together the exhaust on the barracuda. Exhaust on an early Mopar A body with a 4 speed is no fun..

23. skooch

skooch

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

25. OD #3. Assembled the OD from parts and an OD case. It’s the one I made the reverse lock out push rod for.
    IMG_7998.jpeg
    Seems like the lock out works. No OD when in reverse, no reverse when in OD.
    The side cover is from my 49 gmc. This set up was used to keep the column shift by the previous owner.

26. Frames

Frames

Installing ALL bolt on components to a 59A short block to make a totally complete engine going to an American in Scottland. While waiting on a few parts for the 59A I am finishing the welding on the " Tube frame X 2 " and wishing I had time to build the sprint car headers for the 365 Cadillac engine in the Maxi taxi 32 roadster.

High test 63 likes this.
  27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's take another look at Mark's knobs.
    Relax Mark, we're doctors.

IMG_9015.jpeg

Notice in what order the colors are stacked. White on the outside has the effect of a white knob with red stripes. Red as the outermost layers would make for red knobs with white stripes. Also that Mark obviously made efforts to keep the resultant design in the side view consistent between the dash knobs and the shift knob.

If he hadn't, all would NOT be right with the world.

Moriarity, enloe and guthriesmith like this.
  28. After looking at how rough the second valve cover was

20240327_163116.jpg

I decided to run more brake lines

20240327_170111.jpg

29. patsurf

patsurf

swade41 and Johnny Gee like this.