Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What are you working on?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jul 18, 2022.

1. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

Today has been work on the shop day. They are working on the addition and that means everything parked on the concrete needs to be moved and the shop needs to be organized so they can get in and take the roof off when they finish the first part of the project. I was hoping to keep all the parts on the second floor, but I realized today that I don't want to take engines up 16 feet of stairs. Time to redesign the floor space in the work area.

2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Worked on an 8.8 rearend this afternoon . Swapping 2.73s for 3.31s for a friend. I don't understand the fascination with this axle....It may measure out at 8.8 but the carrier feels like a play toy in my hands compared to a 9 inch or a 12 bolt... On top of the fact that its just plain FUGLYo_O

3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Also bought an off topic early 70s Chevy shorty van today and Friggin Scotty wants me to brush paint Free candy on both sides:p

4. Free puppies?

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Your going to Hell Taylor:D

6. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

It's not Free Puppies, it's Help me find my Puppy. Next you'll be telling him that trench coats are out of style. ;)

Tickety Boo, enloe, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  7. Oneball

Oneball

The reason why the 9 inch rear end is so beefy is because they lowered the pinion height in relation to the crown wheel to allow a lower body line. This poor positioning increases the load on the diff housing which is why it’s so beefy. The 8.8 rear end is actually able to take more driveline torque even though it “feels” less robust.

8. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

Still putting my Mercury 260 together. I went to bolt the oil pump on the other day and realized I hadn’t cleaned the pickup yet. Cleaned up in the parts washer then went to blow with compressed air. There is a little brace across the pickup screen and this blew out from hiding under the brace! Looks like maybe a foil seal from an old oil bottle top or something. I wonder how many decades that’s been in there. IMG_0829.jpeg IMG_0830.jpeg

9. Yea, I would guess the same as you on what that might be. Looks like a seal from an oil jug.

10. squirrel

squirrel

seat03.jpg

I had to make a special tool first....of course....

pliers1.jpg

11. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Messing with this old '40s pump is keeping me from working on my cars...I am not going to get sucked into restoring this thing!
    Pump.jpg

12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the reasons that I don't care for 8.8s is that the axle bearing has no inner race. It runs directly on the axle. I had to replace an axle, drain and clean as much of the metal shavings as I could in my OT F150 after the bearing had cut a groove in it. PITA

bchctybob and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy had been doing that in trucks for many decades, then on cars starting mid 60s....nothing new to us GM guys

14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's part of the reason that all the Chevy circle track guys I raced against went to 9"Ford.

15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Went to the recyclers today. Over 1,000 car magazines to dispose of.
    All 1972 and newer. Print is dead in more ways than one as now it's not selling well on the big auction site so F'-it.
    I always call before heading over to dispose of car magazines and make sure to arrive 5 minutes after noon.
    Sure enough I rolled in and 3 pickups were side by side by a building. I drove over and opened all the doors and 3 employees emptied out the Suburban. I had each brand name in boxes and they all have their favorites.
    5 minutes later and all magazines had found new homes. Was like watching fish going after chum.

29A-V8, Okie Pete, Cosmo49 and 14 others like this.
  16. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

Yes you will. And even worse, now you planted a seed and I will have to find a pump for the display that popped into my head. Hopefully the roots will not be deep enough to grow into a full blown distraction.

17. A bunch of junk :)
    IMG_7410.jpeg
    this Saginaw main shaft bearing won’t budge but about 1/8th.
    Gear and bearing are bad.
    All the crap I read up said they come out easy after removing the retainer.
    These pressed?
    Am I doing something wrong?
    IMG_7409.jpeg

29A-V8, Okie Pete, bchctybob and 4 others like this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

maybe the shaft is galled?

bchctybob, Dick Stevens and alanp561 like this.
  19. I’ve got 2. One looks really nice. Bearing is in great shape. Removed from a very nice clean low mile non-OD box.
    Plan is to use that entire gear set with the OD main shaft and OD unit. That main shaft bearing is also not sliding off.
    I’ve got a press and bearing plate at work.
    I tapped on the bad gear with a brass hammer to get it to move what little is had. But not hitting very hard.

Okie Pete, enloe, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

oh...you need to press it off.

enloe, Tickety Boo, saltflats and 3 others like this.
  21. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

Getting ready for upholstery and decided to build a luggage/package tray (nix the back seat) in my Tudor project.

IMG_2142.jpeg IMG_2146.jpeg

29A-V8, Okie Pete, enloe and 3 others like this.
  22. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought new SBC 350cid motor mounts made in the USA for the 50 Desoto ..

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

And put one of those axle tube seals in or two on the right side.

24. 4speed411

4speed411

Seen this '31 Sedan pulled out of a barn on Monday, so On my return trip I stopped by to see what his plan was for it, $1500 bought it..another project to get started image.jpg

25. Congrats! Sounds like a good deal from what I can see.

26. Talk about right time, right place :D

27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Get a bearing separator and clamp in behind the bearing and put it in a press! The proper way! Don’t be beating on a bearing, especially if you are going to reuse it! Akso it could break and put one of your students eye out!

Bones

enloe, Truckdoctor Andy and alanp561 like this.
  28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

29. squirrel

squirrel

wide angle shot....before and after

red brown.jpg

30. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

Today was move vehicles day part 2. They are ready to start framing the North side addition so I had to move 6 project vehicles today. The 51 was first to move, so that took an hour. 5 min to start and 55 more to pull it across the drive by way of town, getting a little gas, a drive in the country and finally back home to park. Take a little break and rethink the project. Then the fun began, Air up tires, jump a couple and move them, no problem they ran. Pull the next one to the edge of the pad, give it a push and jump in. It's about 75 yards down the hill and across the drive to park. Didn't get far enough in so had to get the pickup and pull it from the other side of the fence up to the fence. Repeat the process with the next one. That left the real project. Heavy car, doesn't run. Drive shaft is disconnected and so is the steering. Car likes to roll towards the edge and you have to manually turn the tires to get the angle. Since you can't just let it roll (it won't steer straight) it was time for the car trailer. Back the trailer up the hill, push the car back where it started so the trailer is sort of level on top. Winch the car up onto the trailer. You have to stop pulling before the car is up on the trailer or it will roll right off the front of the trailer into the truck. Wound up anchoring the car with a come-along and then putting load on the winch. Let the come-along out slowly as the car crests the trailer and wants to roll. Chained the car down and finally got the pad clear so they can work when they get here. Which they decided they are not doing until tomorrow. Now I know why people from the country have large families. This one man show stuff is a royal pain.